Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Airfare from Milan to Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/airfare-from-milan-to-rome-299815/)

fairoaksjim Mar 22nd, 2003 05:57 AM

Airfare from Milan to Rome

What seems resonable for a one way flight from Milan to Rome in July? Is $200 the best deal I'm going to find? Any tips for getting a better deal?<BR>We're coming in in the early afternoon and want to get to Rome that day so the train will take too long. Approximately 6.5 hours from Malpensa to Rome (as reported here)

sjk Mar 22nd, 2003 01:14 PM

Eurostar trains make the journey in 4.5 hours (www.fs-online.com). From your post it seems like you're flying into Milan. Check with that airline to see if you can &quot;add on&quot; the trip from Milan to Rome. Any possiblity that you can buy your ticket for Rome instead of Milan?

Andre Mar 22nd, 2003 02:30 PM

fairoaksjim,<BR><BR>As SJK says, you're best off if you can get an add-on fare through the airline you're flying into Rome with.<BR><BR>Failing that, you should try Air One, which has an evening flight to Rome (departure at 18:50). Their web site is:<BR>www.air-one.it<BR>Unfortunately, their web booking ehngine seems to be down right now. Their phone number is: +39 06 48 88 00 66. Their cheapest one way fare appears to be EUR 98 (+ tax), so that would be a far better deal.<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR>Andre

Andre Mar 22nd, 2003 02:32 PM

OOPS! My first sentence should have read:<BR>As SJK says, you're best off if you can get an add-on fare through the airline you're flying into MILAN with.<BR><BR>

TimS Mar 22nd, 2003 02:41 PM

Volare, an Italian no-frills airline, has six flights a day from Milan to Rome. I plugged in some July dates and found a current one-way price of 50.22 euros. Note, however, that Volare uses a different Milan airport (Bergamo) than the one you'll be flying into. For a great site that searches all the European no-frills airlines, go to www.applefares.com. (That's where I got my information.)

mercy Mar 22nd, 2003 07:44 PM

We flew from Milan to Rome in November on AlItalia and the cost was $100 each. It departed from Malpensa and was a one-way flight.

Betsy Mar 22nd, 2003 08:02 PM

Would it be more cost-effective to change your flight to land in Rome instead of Milan?

Andre Mar 23rd, 2003 01:03 AM

TimS<BR><BR>Volareweb (Volare's new discount offshoot) now flies that route, but it departs from Bergamo, not Malpensa airport, so doesn't make sense in this case.<BR><BR>Andre

TimS Mar 23rd, 2003 04:08 AM

Andre<BR><BR>While I'm aware that Volare uses Bergamo--and said so in my note--I admit I have no knowledge of whether or not how easy it would be to get from Malpensa to Bergamo. Are you saying that it would be (1) difficult, (2) costly, (3) time consuming or (4) more than one of the above?<BR><BR>Footnote to my reference to www.applefares.com: This site search *most* of the European no-frills airlines, but not all of them. For example, it doesn't search Ryanair because that airline doesn't want to give an outside party access to its schedules and fares.

TimS Mar 23rd, 2003 04:25 AM

I was curious about Air One, so I just checked the site. There's a special introductory price of 84 euros + tax good until May 31. As Andre says, the best regular price is 98 euros + tax(five-day advance purchase required).

rex Mar 23rd, 2003 05:05 AM

Based on my familiarity with the Milan area (I have flown out of Bergamo, and into Linate, but only driven by Malpensa, in transit to Menaggio) - - I would say &quot;yes&quot;, FAIRLY costly and time-consuming to get from Malpensa to Bergamo.<BR><BR>Something like getting from JFK airport to... say, Trenton, New Jersey.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>[email protected]<BR>

Alice_Twain Mar 24th, 2003 04:10 AM

Malpensa is placed on the exterme western side of Lomardy, while Orio al Serio is placed on the east side of Lombardy. I do not know wether there is a direct bus coinnection beteen the two airports, but if you go by other means of transportation you would have to take bus to Milano Centrale (approx one hour) and than taking another bus to Orio al Serio (approx 40 minutes).