Airfare and car rental in Palermo

Apr 21st, 2012, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Airfare and car rental in Palermo

Hello Everyone, We are going to north west Sicily in September and looking for R/T airfare from Rome to Palermo and car rental for two weeks in Palermo. I have found cheaper prices online for both but wonder if we will have to pay more taxes and fees when we get there. I don't want any surprises.
Would we be better off going through a travel agency here in the US? Also, do we need an international driving permit in Italy? I love all the advice on this site, I think it will be so helpful in planning our trip. We are looking for places to stay on TripAdvisor, VRBO and HomeAway. Has anyone gone to Castellammare del Golfo and Zingaro Nat'l Park? I
may have missed that topic. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Apr 21st, 2012, 07:30 PM

Hi maggiemay we rented a car out of Palermo in Oct 2011, through our local travel agent. I usually book everything online, but find for some reason better luck with the quality of the cars we get through the travel agent. Also, when one rental agency in Rome tried to put through an $800 charge on our Visa a few months after we got back, I just contacted the TA who cleared it up for us, and got our refund.
Although we have never been asked for an international driver's license, it is recommended by the guidebooks to take one.
We enjoyed Sicily immensely. I could say though, that I believe one can have temple overload, after seeing Selinunte, Agrigento, (the valley of the Temples) and Segesta. We might have enjoyed Castellamare del Golfo and Zingaro as a trade off for one of the temple sites. Castellamare came highly reccommended by other travellers we met.
Have fun and don't drive in Palermo except to leave, that would be my advice!
Apr 21st, 2012, 08:33 PM

Hi maggiemay--My two-week trip to Sicily was in June 2010. We saved money renting the car through Autoeurope UK rather than Autoeurope US, a tip from Vagabonda on the Tripadvisor Sicily forum. Lots of good information from locals and others on that forum. Yes, get the International Drivers License (got mine through Triple A)--it's not an optional item. Strongly agree with sundriedpachino--you will not want a car in Palermo. We circled the island beginning in Taormina and ending in Palermo. Here's the link to my trip report: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ecial-trip.cfm
Apr 21st, 2012, 10:10 PM

We rented from http://www.economycarrentals.com/ because its rates were much lower than autoeurope.com. We had no problems with the rental. You might want to take a look at my trip report; click on my name to find it.

Search this Thread