Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   airfare (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/airfare-829348/)

cpcd Mar 4th, 2010 02:42 PM

airfare

It's been a few years since we traveled to Ireland in the summer (July). I think we paid about $576 each. Right now Aer Lingus is $809. Based on our past ,this is not a great price. I'm sure prices have changed. Does anyone know what a good summer fare would be? By the way, we are traveling from Boston.

sassy_cat Mar 4th, 2010 03:01 PM

$809 sounds good for summer airfare!
I checked Kayak and the best price I found was $799 but if you check the fare charts this is a recent drop and only on Aer Lingus the average price is well over $900.

No guarantees but I think it's more likely to go up than down.
You might try pricing two one way tickets with Aer Lingus as someone noted that fares FROM Europe are cheaper right now...

Andrew Mar 4th, 2010 03:21 PM

The Dollar was worth a lot more vs. the Euro a few years ago when you last traveled. Be prepared for lots of things in Europe to be more expensive now when you are over there, not just airfares.

allisonm Mar 4th, 2010 04:36 PM

We just paid $672 from NYC to Shannon (and back!) for early April. This is the most we have ever paid since we made our first trip there in 1995, and we always try to go off season. The good news is that the Euro costs less than the last couple of trips. I doubt your summer fare will go down.

Aramis Mar 4th, 2010 05:28 PM

$809 for summer this year looks to be a STEAL. BOS-DUB s one of the cheaper routes, too, for fairly obvious reasons. It would cost you $150 more to go to London or Paris.

You better grab it now or get out the boots you use to kick yourself.

rbnwdln Mar 4th, 2010 05:42 PM

I booked four tickets for June to Paris from Boston yesterday and the fare has gone up today by $100 each. Yay for me!

Itallian_Chauffer Mar 4th, 2010 06:13 PM

Also to note:

It's usuallya good indication to check the Seat Maps (about 3/4 of the way through the booking process). See how many and what seats are still available.

It's a safe bet that if they are only showing 5 or 6 empty seats NOW, that prices WON'T be dropping any, on THAT flight.

I just bit the bullet -- AND MY TONGUE and dropped $1300 per, for two, into Cardiff and out of SNN, ex MCO. Previous All-Time-High was $950 -- in June, of 2000.

The Euro/Dollar was about where it is NOW, in '06.
In '07, '08 and '09, it was hovering between $1.50 - 1.65. Touching down in UK for a couple of days, 'cause when last I bought Pounds, in '07 they were getting around $2.05 per. At the Current rate of $1.50, I'm hoping it will SEEM like a bargain! :)

Bob

Itallian_Chauffer Mar 5th, 2010 10:49 AM

Received an email from Aer Lingus today (Fri - 5 March) announcing their 'Summer Sale'. You might want to check it out.

Curiously ;) , when I entered MY dates and itinerary for July, the new, SALE price came out to EXACTLY the same as the price I paid when I bought my tickets last Monday -- BEFORE the 'SALE'.

Bob