Reload this Page >

Airfair to France the end of June

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 07:21 AM
dena

My family and I have our hotel accomodations set. We are planning to fly thru Paris to Nice and return the same way so that we may stay a few nights in Paris before returning to the states. I know the airfare is cheaper now until spring and that the rates for summer will be higher. I'm just wondering if anyone knows if and when there are summer reduced rates. I'm not sure whether to buy our tickets now or wait and see if the fares come down. I've never traveled in the summer to Europe before (only in the spring), so I haven't really noticed the way the fares run. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Topper

Anyone?

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Gretchen

That is high high season coupled with the fact that the airlines have reduced the number of flights by 20-30%. It remains to be seen if they put many back in place. I would search the travel sites each day and maybe a couple of times per day. I don't believe I have seen many fare sales in the summer. When you find a fare you can live with jump on it particularly reading the "buy by" date.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 10:41 AM
Christina

It is rare, but occasionally there are sale fares to Paris for August that are announced in June-July due to lower-than-expected vacation travel. I have never seen one for the end of June, though, or July, actually. Air France had some sale fares in August a few years ago, as I recall.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 11:53 AM
dena

Thanks to "Topper", Gretchen and Christina for you help thus far. Any guesses as to lower-than-expected travel to Europe this summer due to all that has happened? And do you think that if so, this would affect the fares? Thanks again!

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Gretchen

Dena, I think I covered that in my answer. Airlines cut their flights to Paris by 30% (Continental). Therefore the flights will be fuller. Sales are held to fill seats. If they are already full, no sales. If you want to gamble you can but it is really unusual for sales in June/July. I will say that Continental is recalling some furoughed FAs and American has ended its freeze on pilot training--some good signs. But Continental is gearing up for the usual high season of travel--there will probably be more furloughing in the fall when demand drops.