Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   airconditioning necessary in Paris in June? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/airconditioning-necessary-in-paris-in-june-262132/)

Wendy Sep 30th, 2002 10:57 AM

airconditioning necessary in Paris in June?

Our family will be in Paris for the first time next June. I am researching apartments and am finding that airconditioning is rare.<BR>Would those of you who have spent time in Paris over the summers give me your opinion of the need for airconditioning in June. When we were in London a few years ago,it was so hot that I know we couldn't have slept without airconditioning. That might have been an unusual heat wave but we were very thankful for the window unit! On the other hand, we never needed it in Scotland or the Netherlands at the same time of year. <BR><BR>Any insights you may offer are greatly appreciated, as well as any suggestions for 2 bedroom apartments that you have enjoyed in Paris.

btilke Sep 30th, 2002 11:32 AM

Finding an apartment with airco will be very difficult. If you feel you really want airco, you should stick to a hotel. Whether you will need airco is a tossup. It´s not usually hot in Paris in June, but that doesn´t mean you won´t encounter a muggy heat wave.<BR>BTilke (Brussels)

Christina Sep 30th, 2002 11:35 AM

I think your experience in London might describe the situation. I think it is rare that you would need AC in Paris in June, but it can happen, it's not impossible. I've never used AC in Paris and I've been there in July many times, and there have only been a few nights in all those times that I wished I had had it. <BR><BR>Apartments with AC in Paris are extremely rare, I'd say, as I've looked a lot (on many different company's web sites) and rented once. I almost rented another time but didn't want to spend that much money, so I stayed in a hotel instead (with AC) at about half the rate of the apartment. I've never seen one with AC, but I suppose they must exist in very expensive units or modern buildings. Two-bedroom apts for ST vacation rental in Paris are quite rare, also, so you've really got a search ahead of you, I think.<BR><BR>If you really want AC (and I know many people on here want it in Paris in summer), I'd suggest you consider those modern apartment/hotel chains as a possibility, such as Citadines, Orion or the Residence des Arts. I know Citadines has some with AC, however, I'm not sure they have any that are 2-bedrooms. Residence des Arts is a 4-star and has AC, apparently, and advertises some apartments that sleep 4 for about 300-400 euro a night<BR>http://www.pariserve.tm.fr/hotel/residence-des-arts/<BR>I think Citadines will let you sleep 4 in them, also, but it's perhaps a one-bedroom and then sleeper sofa.<BR><BR>Maybe somebody else knows of better 2-bedroom vacation apts in Paris with AC than I do, I've just never run across one. www.chezvous.com is a wellknown (expensive) company that caters to Americans and has quite a few 2-bedroom apts from $300-700 per night, but I don't think I've seen one with AC. YOu could just call them up and ask them, they could probably answer more easily than searching every description.

Beth Sep 30th, 2002 01:12 PM

We were in Paris August 2001; it was really hot and muggy during the day, but it cooled at night so that our non-AC'd apartment was fine for sleeping. It had metal roll down shades that kept the heat out during the day. In April 2002 the weather was cool and clear. I would suspect June would be closer to April temperatures, than August. If it is hot, your problem will be walking around in it and not finding any respite because most buildings are not AC'd. Even the museums are not as cold as in the U.S. The temperature is for the protection of the art work, not the comfort of the public! Your decision on AC should be made on how much you think you will be in the apartment, other than sleeping and possibly a brief rest during the day.

joy Sep 30th, 2002 02:13 PM

Well its really hard to tell. We were in Paris last June (2002) and the first few days it was so muggy and hot, hot, hot. Before going out to dinner, I would take a shower and change clothes, ride the metro to the restaurant and walk the few blocks and I was sweating so much!! Next day it got cool and next day much cooler. After one more day the temperature drop to the 60s. I was glad I didn't get sick with the change in temperature (almost 30 degree difference in a matter of 5 days!!)

barb Sep 30th, 2002 02:17 PM

I went to Paris 2 yrs in a row in June and both times selected non-airconditioned hotels and both times hit 'highly unusual' muggy awful heatwaves that made sleep impossible. Needless to say, I have learned my lesson and will only book airconditioned rooms for summer in the future.

sandra Sep 30th, 2002 03:28 PM

I too have been in Paris in June and you need air conditioning. What people forget is that not is it hot but you need to keep the windows closed to block out street noises. We left Paris early this june due to the heat. The worst part is I actually thought I had booked a hotel with a/c. They confirmed in writing that htey had a/c and upon check in handed us a fan.<BR> So to be safe before booking a hotel ask on this board or any forum if anyone is famlilar and oknows if the hotel really has a/c

Wendy Sep 30th, 2002 08:14 PM

Thank you all for your helpful responses. You have convinced me that we really do need to have airconditioning "just in case". Why ruin a wonderful trip with the worry of "Will we sleep at night?" Hopefully I will be able to locate an apartment (even a few window airconditioners would be fine) but I will also look into 2 connected hotel rooms (with airconditioning).<BR><BR>I appreciate that you took the time to share your experiences!

AA Oct 1st, 2002 01:40 AM

YES!<BR>AA

Vincent Oct 1st, 2002 01:43 AM

Frankly finding a "real" Paris apartment with a/c is Mission Impossible. You'd better concentrate on finding an apartment whose room is not on the street ("chambre sur cour/jardin"), which is the case of most apartments, then you'll be able to sleep with the window open and this'll do the trick ! I am myself quite sensitive to heat and noise, and therefore have always insisted on living in apartments with such arrangements, and it so far it has always worked.

xxx Oct 1st, 2002 03:42 AM

How could the temperature in Paris ever drop to the 60's. It is very very rare that the temperature goes much over 30....there is no place on the planet where the temperature even approaches 60...the hottest on the planet might be 50 but it is rare in Paris for the temperature to go over 30.

abc Oct 1st, 2002 03:56 AM

xxx..<BR><BR>In the United States, unlike any other place in the world, due to the stupidity of some old fuddy duddys in Congress, we still use the moronic imbecilic unscientific Farenheit scale for measuring temperature. It is part of the arrogance of our country that our way is better even though it isn't.<BR><BR>As with many other things, years ago if it were for the opposition of some ignoramouses, the country should have adopted the Celsius temperature scale and the metric system. But most Americans are too stupid to deal with change.

jj Oct 1st, 2002 05:42 AM

I can only speak from my one experience. I was in Paris this past June from the 13th through the 25th and did not need air conditioning. Weather is generally a crap shoot, though. You may or may not need it when you go.

joy Oct 1st, 2002 05:55 AM

xxx:<BR><BR>I am assuming Wendy is an American, hence I didn't bother to put the proper unit in the temperature. So when I said in the 60s, I meant in Fahrenheit. It would be around 17 degree Celsius in your neck of the woods.

Christina Oct 2nd, 2002 10:31 AM

I actually found a few rental apartments with AC for you to look at, although I think a hotel might be a better idea (definitely if you aren't going to be there very long) and could be cheaper. I'm assuming you just have two adults and maybe two small children, though, as four adults need more space. You don't mention budget, so maybe that's not an issue, but AC 2-bedroom apts are going to be pretty expensive. If you have two small children and can do with only 1 bedroom and a fold-out sofa (most of what's available), there will be more around and much cheaper.<BR><BR>These say they have AC:<BR><BR>justfranceinparis.com has two AC 2-bedrooms, one on rue Danton in the 6th (no price given) and one on rue Leroux in the 16th for about $3000/week<BR><BR>www.franceforrent.com/bourg is a 1 BR apt. in the Marais that has fold-out sofa and is only $1500/week <BR><BR>www.rentalfrance.com lists a 1 BR on rue de la Huchette (5th arr) that sleeps 5 (due to sofabed and "mezzazine" bed which is really just kind of a shelf with a mattress on it, sort of like bunk beds) and a 1 BR on rue des Vertus in the Marais with a double sofabed. No prices given (I think these are private owners).<BR><BR>The Citadines Opera location does have 1-BRs or duplexes that sleep 4 (also with sofabed, I guess) in a modern AC building, I think they're about $300/day<BR>Probably some of their other locations do, also.<BR><BR>A hotel may work out better if you don't really need an apartment, just want extra space. For example, I think the 3-star Hotel Duquesne Eiffel in the 7th has connecting rooms and is AC. If you rent an apt, be sure you understand what the AC consists of and whether there is an elevator (eg, the above apt on franceforrent says modern air-conditioning but it does not have an elevator). I've never seen window units, thank goodness, in Paris (I hope they are outlawed) but I think AC in renovated buildings tends to be room units that are mounted high on a wall that don't have to vent through windows. This is good technology, I forget the name of it, that isn't as common in the US as in Europe.<BR>

flowerbunch Oct 2nd, 2002 11:13 AM

The best time to visit Paris is in September. I've been there in June and the weather was comfortable. So, with some good luck you might just enjoy it very much without air conditioning. Oh, and when you get back, come share with me your experiences at <BR><BR>www.frenchrelic.com -- We love to hear stories from fellow travelers.<BR><BR>Have a nice time,<BR>Bonnie<BR><BR>

Sue Oct 2nd, 2002 05:20 PM

I was in Paris in May of this year, and had some very hot days. I definitely needed the A/C! I was also there in October of last year, and enjoyed the A/C to keep out the street noise. It's better sleeping anytime, anyway.

Barb Oct 2nd, 2002 05:53 PM

I was in a Paris apartment this year from June 16-21 and really wished I had a/c! I'm told it was a heat wave, and we tried to buy a fan at Carrefours, but they were sold out. The last night we were there, it turned cooler and rained, but if you are used to sleeping in a closed room with a/c, don't risk it! June is unpredictable.

Wendy Oct 19th, 2002 06:02 PM

Thanks again to everyone for posting your advise and opinions.<BR><BR>Christina: Thanks so much for your research! It was so kind of you to take the time to share! Our children are a girl 15 and a boy 10, so the fold out couch idea isn't really a viable option. I have been researching ajoining rooms in airconditioned hotels in the 5th-6th arrondissement and have found several options (though very expensive at $250-300/each room/night). My current plan is to spend 7 nights in Paris. I will now start to research apartments in the same general area and compare prices. Your information will help me get started. Thank you.

Jen Oct 19th, 2002 06:24 PM

I am staying in Paris next June. I booked about a month ago for the Hotel Muguet which has a/c. It is in the 7th Arr. I do not know about adjoining rooms but it is just a suggestion to take a look.<BR><BR>For info:<BR>http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75007muguet2.htm