Search

Amsterdam advice please

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsterdam advice please

Hello!

We’re headed to Amsterdam in a few weeks and have a couple of questions.

FYI on us: married couple, late 30's, we've been to Europe before, we're comfortable with public transportation, looking to see the sights and enjoy our time away from home. In addition to these questions we would welcome any suggestions for something not mentioned or must-eat restaurants (authentic, local food). TIA. I appreciate your help!

1) Questions on getting to Keukenhof (and anywhere really):
Keukenhof's website is very specific with routes and options, but I have a question: Can we just show up the day of and buy tickets with cash or credit card? Or do we need to purchase tickets in advance? I'm referring to both tickets in advance for Keukenhof and tickets in advance for trains/buses. I see a lot of "front of the line" tickets, should we pre-purchase with a tour company.

2) Any recommendation for a bike tour company? We would prefer a guided tour vs on our own. We would love to explore outside of the city. Just a 1/2 day leisure trip.

3) Day trip to Brussels - again, train questions: Can we just buy tickets the day of, anything we’d need to know about a down and back in one day? Is the more expensive route worth the additional expense?

4) We already have our Anne Frank Museum tickets. Which other museum should we consider? They all look great, but we will not have time (or interest) to spend more than one day in museums.

5) Canal boat cruise - Any recommendations how to go about this? I see multiple options (day, dinner, candlelight, etc) - should we just pick one or is there an alternative to getting on the water that we should consider?

Thanks again!
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 06:45 AM

Domestic trains in Holland like those to Leiden (shuttle buses to Keukenhof from station -no reservations needed or possible) do not take reservations and you can always buy ticktet on day and get on any train. But Thalys trains that go onto Brussels and Paris are reservations only - those should be booked in advance to guarantee getting on - and book far in advance to nap really low fares - www.thalys.com - book your own. You could also take regular trains Amsterdam to Brussels that do not take reservations and you bust but ticket and hop on - no guarantee of finding seats but usually no problem - first class has more empty seats usually) -www.seat61.com has loads of great info on booking Thalys tickets; general train info www.budgeteruopetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

See Keukenhof official site for other questions but it always has been you can just show up and get in - the gardens are large - long lines IMO can form for the various hothouses that are the highlight it seemed to it all.

Thalys to Brussels coudl be cheaper than the slower trains if you book deep discounted tickets - if not the slower route is cheaper on walk-up basis.

Tulips can correct any misinformation in above!
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 10:43 AM

You can now also take a direct bus to Keukenhof from Schiphol. They're well signposted, so no need to go to Leiden or Haarlem.
As PalenQ states, you can just turn up and buy a ticket there and then.

For a day trip to Brussels I'd take the regular international service: no need for reservations and a day return will always be cheaper than booking thalys. Even their most discounted tickets (only a few of those) are more expensive. You take intercity direct to Rotterdam and change to the international train, which will be waiting for you on the opposite side of the platform. Same procedure going back.

For a bike tour, choose any outfit that offers a tour through "Waterland", the area just to the north of Amsterdam.
Canal tour: take any tour. They're all the same. However, if you want a 20 minute boat ride through the harbour, ending at a creative and art hotspot, take the ferry to NDSM Werf behind Central Station. Ferries are free, and NDSM is a perfect spot for lunch, with a beautiful view of Amsterdam. For instance, at Noorderlicht. Lots of cool festivals there too, so check their calendar.

If there's one "museum type experience" apart from Anne Frank House, you might want to see how very rich people from Amsterdam's golden age actually lived and see one of those modest looking but opulent canal houses from the inside: these mansions have opulent gardens, entirely hidden from view.

There's Museum Van Loon

https://www.museumvanloon.nl

and

Museum Willet - Holthuysen

https://www.willetholthuysen.nl

Both were houses owned and lived in by exceedingly rich Dutch patrician families, and both have been kept to show what that was like.

Willet Holthuysen has a very good audio tour, that really adds to the experience of wandering through the house. Van Loon also has a beautiful courtyard garden.
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 12:02 PM

Q about day return tickets on regular A'dam-Brussels trains - are there blackout periods - can you leave anytime - folks may want to leave rather early to give justice to Brussels. One reason for taking Thalys is they gain about an hour each way and if can get the deepest discounts at a few euros more than regular trains may be worth it. But if not yeah take the regular trains -no need to book months early as to get Thalys cheapies - so good info from menachem.

Same with Keukenhof bus from Schiphol - but you may want to return via Leiden or Haarlem if you have time to poke around these neat historic old Dutch towns. taking bus Keukenhof to Haarlem goes thru flower fields (as does bus from Schiphol to Keukenhof I presume).
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 01:16 PM

Yes Amsterdam has so so many museums... but I think many who've gone would say the Rijksmuseum is a must if none other than to glimpse the Uber famous Night Watchman - book slots in advance on official site to get a timed entry and avoid potentially long lines.

But less-known museums like menachem suggests are not just museums but the buildings an attraction in themselves. And there are special-interest museums like the Jewish Historical Museum; Rubens' House, the Maritime Museum showcasing Dutch naval vessels thru the ages; the van Gogh Museum (probably the 2nd most popular museum after Rijksmuseum); then world-class Modern Art Museum (Rijksmuseum, van Gogh and Modern Art museums all nicely snuggled together on Museumplein) and kitschy things like the Sex Museum, Hashish Museum, Torture Museum where they advertise 'you can discover the painful past' and even a museum of bags and purses which several folks here have praised in the past: https://tassenmuseum.nl/en/.

So menachem is right IMO - hard to say any are musts and it depends on you and your interests.
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 02:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
don't forget Tropenmuseum
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by PalenQ
Q about day return tickets on regular A'dam-Brussels trains - are there blackout periods - can you leave anytime - folks may want to leave rather early to give justice to Brussels. One reason for taking Thalys is they gain about an hour each way and if can get the deepest discounts at a few euros more than regular trains may be worth it. But if not yeah take the regular trains -no need to book months early as to get Thalys cheapies - so good info from menachem.

Same with Keukenhof bus from Schiphol - but you may want to return via Leiden or Haarlem if you have time to poke around these neat historic old Dutch towns. taking bus Keukenhof to Haarlem goes thru flower fields (as does bus from Schiphol to Keukenhof I presume).

For Brussels it's not worth it, especially since they might be in the situation that they're paying 3 times the regular ticket. Taking IC direct already shaves 20 minutes off the journey time. The Intl Train is extremely good value for money.
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by PalenQ
Yes Amsterdam has so so many museums... but I think many who've gone would say the Rijksmuseum is a must if none other than to glimpse the Uber famous Night Watchman - book slots in advance on official site to get a timed entry and avoid potentially long lines.

But less-known museums like menachem suggests are not just museums but the buildings an attraction in themselves. And there are special-interest museums like the Jewish Historical Museum; Rubens' House, the Maritime Museum showcasing Dutch naval vessels thru the ages; the van Gogh Museum (probably the 2nd most popular museum after Rijksmuseum); then world-class Modern Art Museum (Rijksmuseum, van Gogh and Modern Art museums all nicely snuggled together on Museumplein) and kitschy things like the Sex Museum, Hashish Museum, Torture Museum where they advertise 'you can discover the painful past' and even a museum of bags and purses which several folks here have praised in the past: https://tassenmuseum.nl/en/.

So menachem is right IMO - hard to say any are musts and it depends on you and your interests.
Ruben's House is in Antwerp. I suppose you mean Rembrandt. The point with those museums is: they're completely mobbed! So: go elsewhere. Or, go to a very good museum in another city, such as Gemeentemuseum Den Haag, in that beautiful Berlage building. Immense collection of Mondrians. Also from his figurative period.

Or, in Amsterdam, to het Stedelijk Museum (modern art) which is now getting back its mojo.
Joods Historisch Museum is also impressive, especially after visiting the Anne Frank Huis, plus, if you do one of their tours, they take you to the Portugese Synagogue. Oude Kerk, in the RLD is a stunning church. Rembrandt's wife, Saskia van Uijlenburg, is buried there. There's so much where tourists hardly go. It's because they all go to the Rijksmuseum.
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 09:37 AM

As for canal boat tours most are all the same it seems but not all go out into the harbor or IJ and those that do give a great visual of Amsterdam's historic waterfront from afar. Night boats can be great too as all the bridges are all lit up - there is a Museum Boat too that you get a pass for a day to hop on and off at places like Anne Frank House, Rijksmuseum area, etc.
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 11:53 AM

If people want to visit the harbour, the IJ ferry to NDSM is just the thing: travels the length of the harbour from Central Station to NDSM.

Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 12:03 PM

https://whatsupwithamsterdam.com/ndsm/

Great tip from menachem - there is more to that than a ferry trip - I have not been there but the more I read and hear about it the better it sounds. Something off the beaten track for most tourists I think.
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 02:17 PM

https://www.macbike.nl/bike-tours/

There are several bike tour companies and MacBike is one that has been around a long long time and gets good reviews - the Waterland tour I believe is what menachem (who has biked everyone in NL) recommends - across IJ - harbor - from main city.

Waterland:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Wate...w=1920&bih=949

Don't book in advance IMO but book only if you know the fickle weather in these climes will be nice - even winds can make a bike ride less than fun.
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 10:19 PM

MacBike's Amstel tour is also nice. You get to visit Ouderkerk a/d Amstel, which is lovely in its own right. Also it has the jewish cemetery of the Portugese Jewish community, lots of history.

The ride to Ouderkerk from Amsterdam is very rural, surprisingly.

I had my studio at NDSM once, so I'm prejudiced, and our group was one of the pioneers of the area: we were there in 2003, and saw it grow around us into what it is now.

Old Apr 4th, 2018, 10:48 AM

I led bike tours for years long ago that did the Amstel Route menachem above mentions - and yes it is nice too - some small castles and rural landscapes and the busy Amstel Canal - sweet.
Old Apr 4th, 2018, 12:18 PM

Amstel is the river that gave Amsterdam its name. If you follow it up stream, you reach the "Amsterdam Fortifications", the ring of military strongholds that encircles Amsterdam. If you follow the Waver river beyond Ouderkerk, you'll end up at the Botshol nature reserve, an area of man made peat lakes. Very tranquil and you can go rowing there. There's a fort there as well. Boat rental at A.J. Jansen, Botshol 3. When you're done rowing, cycle back to Amsterdam via Ouderkerk again. Ouderkerk has a number of nice restaurants for dinner.

Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 01:31 PM

I just returned from 3 great days in Amsterdam. I could only go to Keukenhof on Sunday (yes, crowds) but managed to buy the combination ticket (from Keukenhof website). It included entrance to gardens and return bus ticket (either to Schipol airport or Leiden).I bought a one way train ticket from Central station to airport (€5.30). Arrived around 11:30A and the queue at the airport for Keukenhof bus was huge; waited for 45 minutes. About 35 min bus ride to gardens. From there, it was easy. Although lots of people, i was able to move easily and be in awe of the gardens! I couldn't stop taking photos..each bed was better than the last. From there, I took the bus to Leiden. They don't stamp your ticket so they don't know that I started from airport. The queue for Leiden was much shorter than return to Schipol (maybe it's the same going to the gardens?). Leiden was charming - I took a 50 min canal cruise (€10) which was very fascinating - seeing house boats, the university, low bridges/tunnel). Given it was Sunday early evening, all of the shops were shut so I walked to the market area where there are lots of outdoor cafes. I then returned to Amsterdam via train - passing lots of fields of tulips!! The only thing that i may have done differently is buy a round trip train ticket to Leiden, guessing the queue would have been shorter, but liked my 1/2 day in the gardens and 1/2 day in Leiden. I do want to return and do Harleem now!

The other things I did (from suggestions on Fodors) was the Bags and Purse Museum. Was fun with a nice cafe and garden in the back. Sat in Rembrandt square (lots of cafes) for coffee and a toastie, beforehand. The free ferry over to EYE - we had a delicious lunch at Cafe De Pont (- https://www.cafedepont.nl/en/) Get the appleschnitt for dessert - you won't be disappointed. Dinner was at Sama Sebo (Sama Sebo Amsterdam | stukje Indonesië in onze hoofdstad) - we did the rijsttafel (“ryst-tah-fell”) - rice table. 21 small plates. Delicious.

Stayed on a tram ride away from central station, at a very new (IHG) hotel called QO. https://www.qo-amsterdam.com/. It's only been opened for a few weeks so some kinks to work out, but love the sustainability and concepts. Room was smallish- but brand new with nice linens, soaps and coffee. And the rooftop bar on 21st floor is great - although not much to see because AMS is so flat. I also stayed one night at DeWitt - lovely, central, american-ish hotel (large room) with many American clientele, 6 min walk to Central Station.

Strolling and getting lost (or walking and not worrying where you're going) was good fun. Different areas, vibes, shops, cafes. And it was all enhanced by great weather - 25C!

I wouldn't change a thing....
Old Apr 24th, 2018, 07:15 AM

Sounds like a lovely time!