Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   AirBnB Issues in Amsterdam (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/airbnb-issues-in-amsterdam-1663342/)

Gallivanter Feb 5th, 2019 08:43 AM

AirBnB Issues in Amsterdam

My wife and I and another couple will be spending a few days in Amsterdam (or thereabouts) in September '19. I gather from what I've read here in the forum that an AirBnB might be an option we ought to avoid if we intend to stay in the city. How about outside the city? For instance, if we decide to stay in Haarlem will we still encounter the same risks. I'm referring, of course, to the crackdown currently going on regarding AirBnB's in Amsterdam.

I would appreciate your input. Thanks

menachem Feb 5th, 2019 10:59 AM

Outside Amsterdam is okayish, but please don't help finance AirBnB's (and similar) extractive practices. That goes for Haarlem etc as well. The upside about Haarlem is that all accommodation is cheaper than in Amsterdam, or, rephrased, that you'll get more hotelroom for the same money.

If I may ask, why an apartment?

whitehall Feb 5th, 2019 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by menachem (Post 16868367)
Outside Amsterdam is okayish, but please don't help finance AirBnB's (and similar) extractive practices. That goes for Haarlem etc as well. The upside about Haarlem is that all accommodation is cheaper than in Amsterdam, or, rephrased, that you'll get more hotelroom for the same money.

If I may ask, why an apartment?

Or more airbnb or short term vacation rental (STVR) for your money.

Some in Amsterdam oppose all STVRs, as you see here, and they are restricted in some areas, in some cases only the amount of time the landlord can rent. As I understand it, there are plenty of places outside the city center where there are no issues.

Most people, such as us, who rent apartments when on vacation do so to get more room, often to have access to a full kitchen and likely at a rate less than a hotel. The attention from a landlord intent on achieving a good review, from our own experience, is often far superior to that of a front desk clerk at a hotel. When it is suggested that airbnbs are somehow immoral or “extractive”, consider that over-tourism in places like Amsterdam is because of all of us and certainly more related to hotels than to STVRs. For example, consider that just the new hotels on the drawing board in Amsterdam will create dramatically more tourism stays than ALL the existing airbnb rentals that accommodate less than 12% of all the tourists in that city.

jannad Feb 5th, 2019 01:20 PM

Why should you avoid Airbnb? For my coming Amsterdam trip, we are renting in an owner-occupied building because we want a kitchen and are getting to the point of pretty much hating hotels. We like a comfortable visit and hotels are too expensive. I look for airbnb Superhosts if possible.

apersuader65 Feb 5th, 2019 01:25 PM

jannad, the most common reason is that this rental makes housing less affordable for those who live in the city.

whitehall Feb 5th, 2019 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by apersuader65 (Post 16868462)
jannad, the most common reason is that this rental makes housing less affordable for those who live in the city.

I think it’s safe to say that there already is no affordable housing in the cities with the biggest concerns about airbnb (e.g. New York, Paris, Amsterdam, San Francisco), so the existence of airbnb doesn’t matter in that regard. Yes, some studies have suggested some minor valuation increases are possible, but still others suggest that some of the negativity surrounding fears of neighborhoods full of STVR properties might actually depress values.

Any changes generally will have impacts. Some will argue that making a city apartment available to the masses, even for a few days, is a better system than having such properties only the domain of the well-to-do.

jannad Feb 5th, 2019 01:56 PM

My staying in Ari's house for a couple weeks is not the reason rents are high. He does short-term lets for some months and travels for long periods of time and doesn't seem to want a permanent tenant. This is not a new concept, renting out during academic seasons, or whenever, and is his choice. They try to blame high rent here in NYC, or SF, on Airbnb, and everybody knows they are not the real problem.

janisj Feb 5th, 2019 02:20 PM

Oh -- Lordy Pete -- here we go again.

This thread will probably get closed like most others re this topic because we get all these off-topic arguments and snide attacks. The OP merely asked if airbnb's are OK in Haarlem. All this pontificating about 'wonderful' airbnb and complaints about 'bad' airbnb are totally counterproductive.

whitehall Feb 5th, 2019 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by janisj (Post 16868501)
Oh -- Lordy Pete -- here we go again.

This thread will probably get closed like most others re this topic because we get all these off-topic arguments and snide attacks. The OP merely asked if airbnb's are OK in Haarlem. All this pontificating about 'wonderful' airbnb and complaints about 'bad' airbnb are totally counterproductive.

Airbnb is one of the biggest "disruptors" in the travel industry in recent times and is certainly worthy of significant interest and discussion to other travelers.

PalenQ Feb 5th, 2019 02:30 PM

For example, consider that just the new hotels on the drawing board in Amsterdam will create dramatically more tourism stays than ALL the existing airbnb rentals that accommodate less than 12% of all the tourists in that city.>

Yes - why is airbnb always the target and not fancy hotels? Well because folks staying in fancy hotels spend more probably. As for Amsterdam airbnbs being all illegal - then why don't the authorities close them down? I'd stay in jannad's airbnb in Amsterdam in a heartbeat - chances of that place being shut down seem slim.

whitehall Feb 5th, 2019 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by PalenQ (Post 16868509)
Yes - why is airbnb always the target and not fancy hotels? Well because folks staying in fancy hotels spend more probably.

An airbnb study says that they account for less than 12% of the tourists but 20% of the spending.

PalenQ Feb 5th, 2019 02:53 PM

Yeah I guess if you can save a bundle over staying in a pricey hotel you can spend more. About 8 years ago before airbnb explosion I stayed in a typical B&B about 3km outside Amsterdam centrum - for a pittance - an elderly couple had one spare room and no doubt to them the B&B money was probably great for them. I wonder if these types of B&Bs exist in Amsterdam?

Not sure but places called B&Bs but really hotels can readily be had for $100 a day:

https://www.booking.com/searchresult...ri%3D2%3B&rsf=

whitehall Feb 5th, 2019 03:03 PM

You can filter our B & B's on booking.com. It appears there are 9 in the link you sent above in the suggested price range. Most seem to be between 5-10 miles from the city center. If the OP wants a full kitchen or more space, he would be better served by an apartment, although many B&Bs offer the individual attention and perhaps more than you might find from some apartment landlords.

jannad Feb 5th, 2019 04:51 PM

Although time is burning, I think OP should go to the Airbnb site and cruise around both Amsterdam and Haarlem. The good bookings are being snapped up for the fall, so get to it! Consider "apartment share" -- they often have private bathroom and sometimes private kitchen within the residence, and usually ridiculously cheap. I guess that would be kind of sort of like a b&b but make your own coffee.

Gallivanter Feb 5th, 2019 07:21 PM

AirBnB Issues in Amsterdam

Thanks to each of you who responded to my question. Frankly, I was unaware of this issue surrounding AirBnB's and the like until I began planning for our trip just a few days ago. Quite an eye-opener for me. I'm still processing the opinions you have offered and not quite sure what I'll end up doing as far as accommodations are concerned. What ever we decide to do it sounds like we ought to act sooner rather than later as you've told me places are being snapped up for the fall even now. I do rather like the idea of staying in Haarlem. I once stayed there for a few days so long ago that it doesn't really count. Travel guides make it sound like a great place to stay and launch day trips into Amsterdam. With only a 15-20 minute train ride into the city and more moderate pricing regardless of what accommodations we choose I'm leaning toward staying there. Any further input any of you may offer is much appreciated.

Thank you all again.

menachem Feb 5th, 2019 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by whitehall (Post 16868449)
Or more airbnb or short term vacation rental (STVR) for your money.

Some in Amsterdam oppose all STVRs, as you see here, and they are restricted in some areas, in some cases only the amount of time the landlord can rent. As I understand it, there are plenty of places outside the city center where there are no issues.

Most people, such as us, who rent apartments when on vacation do so to get more room, often to have access to a full kitchen and likely at a rate less than a hotel. The attention from a landlord intent on achieving a good review, from our own experience, is often far superior to that of a front desk clerk at a hotel. When it is suggested that airbnbs are somehow immoral or “extractive”, consider that over-tourism in places like Amsterdam is because of all of us and certainly more related to hotels than to STVRs. For example, consider that just the new hotels on the drawing board in Amsterdam will create dramatically more tourism stays than ALL the existing airbnb rentals that accommodate less than 12% of all the tourists in that city.

It is also due to AirBnB that Amsterdam now is the most expensive city to live in (aka be a resident in) worldwide. AirBnB and similar strive for maximum liquidity of available accommodation: in how Dutch public housing works, this means cannibalising an already dwindling rent controlled housing stock. So the question is: who would want to actively contribute to this?

menachem Feb 5th, 2019 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by PalenQ (Post 16868509)
For example, consider that just the new hotels on the drawing board in Amsterdam will create dramatically more tourism stays than ALL the existing airbnb rentals that accommodate less than 12% of all the tourists in that city.>

Yes - why is airbnb always the target and not fancy hotels? Well because folks staying in fancy hotels spend more probably. As for Amsterdam airbnbs being all illegal - then why don't the authorities close them down? I'd stay in jannad's airbnb in Amsterdam in a heartbeat - chances of that place being shut down seem slim.

AirBnB is the target ( in fact, as we speak there's a hearing about this in the Amsterdam council) because it erodes and feeds on affordable rent housing stock. This is particular to the Dutch housing market.

menachem Feb 5th, 2019 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Gallivanter (Post 16868710)
Thanks to each of you who responded to my question. Frankly, I was unaware of this issue surrounding AirBnB's and the like until I began planning for our trip just a few days ago. Quite an eye-opener for me. I'm still processing the opinions you have offered and not quite sure what I'll end up doing as far as accommodations are concerned. What ever we decide to do it sounds like we ought to act sooner rather than later as you've told me places are being snapped up for the fall even now. I do rather like the idea of staying in Haarlem. I once stayed there for a few days so long ago that it doesn't really count. Travel guides make it sound like a great place to stay and launch day trips into Amsterdam. With only a 15-20 minute train ride into the city and more moderate pricing regardless of what accommodations we choose I'm leaning toward staying there. Any further input any of you may offer is much appreciated.

Thank you all again.

Can I interest you in:

https://www.bedandbreakfast.nl/bed-a...lands/c2755003

Lots of great properties

Also, in Haarlem, you'll be near the coast. The wonderful Kennemerduinen are just a bike ride away, near Overveen.

menachem Feb 5th, 2019 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by jannad (Post 16868602)
Although time is burning, I think OP should go to the Airbnb site and cruise around both Amsterdam and Haarlem. The good bookings are being snapped up for the fall, so get to it! Consider "apartment share" -- they often have private bathroom and sometimes private kitchen within the residence, and usually ridiculously cheap. I guess that would be kind of sort of like a b&b but make your own coffee.

The problem with the AMS crackdown on AirBnB and Haarlem's greater attention to its workings is that apartments may suddenly "disappear" or the booking cancelled by the operator due to "plumbing problems". This risk will increase as the year progresses.

hetismij2 Feb 5th, 2019 11:48 PM

Hotels may in theory generate more tourism than AirBnB but they also provide jobs, and pay their taxes. They do not disrupt and disturb the lives of those who actually live in the city and who quite like to know their neighbours and not have to fall over suitcases, drunken/stoned tourists and piles of dirty washing to get to their own homes. Imagine how unsafe these people feel with a never ending stream of total strangers having access to their building.
AirBnB started off being a great idea but it is no longer someone letting their spare room or their house while they are away, it is big business, and a big tax dodging business what is more, that has screwed the lives of others along the way.