Notices

air travel within turkey

Jul 6th, 2014, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

air travel within turkey

I'll be traveling to Turkey with my girlfriend late July to mid August, we're planning on visiting in Istanbul, Cappadocia (Goreme), Antalya, and Ephesus (Selcuk). I'm looking for advice form someone who has visited the country before, is it best to buy airline tickets when we arrive to these various place or should we book them ahead of time? A few questions below...

Is it going to be a lot cheaper one way or the other?
If its cheaper to book once I'm in the country should I worry about the flights being completely booked? I've got hotels booked in the various locations already, I'd hate to cancel them and lose money because of cancelation.

Thanks for any and all advice!
Jul 6th, 2014, 04:24 PM

the earlier you book your flights the cheaper they will be.

All local airlines have certain numbers of tickets at each price range. once they are sold, it is the next level up and so forth.

Some flights, like those between istanbul and bodrum, istanbul and Dalaman and istanbula and antalya get sold out very quickly. especially the better time slots.

The flights between Cappadocia and izmir are also popular with tourists and may get sold out quickly.

Most airlines have non-refundable and more expensive refundable tickets.

Some airlines will only fly from SAW airport in istanbul. This is rather far, has heavier traffic and has more costly transfer.

Cappadocia has two airports. nevsehir is closer but not all airlines fly there. Otherwise it is Kayseri.

Check THY, Anadolu, Atlas, Onur, Pegasus, Sunexpress
Jul 6th, 2014, 04:56 PM

I generally fly Pegasus Air within Turkey. When I went to Cappadocia in 2011, I flew Pegasus to Kayseri and the hotel picked me up. I am currently in Istanbul on a another home exchange and will be going to Ephesus this time. You fly to Izmir for that and arrange transportation onward from there (I am being picked up by my hotel, but there is a train or you can rent a car depending on what you want to do). I will be flying Pegasus to Izmir.

Please be aware that from Istanbul, the discount airlines generally use the Sabitha Gochen Airport way on the Asian side. There is an hourly bus from Taksim. Do not miss your flight or go to the wrong airport!
Jul 6th, 2014, 06:16 PM

Bookmarking

Search this Thread