Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Air travel - Round trip or Open jaw London/Milan

Feb 22nd, 2007, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

I'm trying to save some money and it looks like I can get a better price RT to London instead of London, depart Milan but it will entail a RT London to Genoa. Is RyanAir for real? It looks like a one-way ticket Lon/Genoa is only about $20...... If that's true then we could go back to London to get the round trip fare.

My question is, how much of a hassle is it going to be? We hope to stay in the Cinque Terre area so on departure we'll have to take a train back to Genoa, catch a flight to London, probably spend a night there and catch a morning flight back to U.S...I have no idea how much time/how much hassle that is. The alternative is to pay more to depart Milan but then I think we would still have to leave the CT, go to Milan, spend a night and catch a morning flight. That would cost us about $200 more and with 4 people that's $800 so if getting back to London isn't to big a deal, I'd like to save the $800.

What do you experienced travelers think? Thanks so much for your help.
Feb 22nd, 2007, 04:41 PM

Yes, Ryanair is for real...but you have to think that it is thought for european travel and then, they are very strict with luggage allowance (not the allowance of transatlantic carriers). Just only a suitcase per person and only 15 kg weight can be checked. Their excess baggage fare will make not so cheap your trip.
Feb 22nd, 2007, 10:27 PM

<<< It looks like a one-way ticket Lon/Genoa is only about $20 >>>

Plus taxes plus charges per bag plus excess baggage charges plus compulsory wheelchair use charge plus other charges plus CC fees per person per flight plus that little fee Ryanair sneaked on when you weren't looking too close at the booking. Then you have to add on the cost of getting to/from whichever airports Ryanair are using

As pointed out their baggage allowances are probably one of the lowest in Europe (and their hand baggage physical size is smaller than the norm) and you have to be checked in (not standing in the check in queue) by the time checked in closes or you don't fly and you have to buy a new ticket at their top price.

Also don't rely on them if you have anything important (like a Transatlantic flight) in the next day or two as if Things Go Wrong you are on your own and Ryanair will do little (actually nothing) to help you

Feb 23rd, 2007, 12:43 AM

If you are looking to fly London-Milan R/T you can also fly on EasyJet from Malpensa to Gatwick.

Take a look at www.skyscanner.net for all budget flights
Feb 23rd, 2007, 11:32 AM

It wouldn't be worth it to me to save that amount of money. After you add in all the fees, I imagine the airfare difference might be only $100 a person, is that about right? I would never in a million years go through all the trouble and potential disaster (cancelled or late flights, etc.), as well as my own time, for that amount of money. Are the hotel costs going to be the same in both places, as well as other transportation costs to the airport? Figure that in, also.

It does add up more when you have a lot of people going, though, so I can see if the time and hassle aren't important to you (I hate that kind of stuff and anything that prolongs the agony of travel connections and airports). You realize if something goes wrong, you will probably be out your entire regular ticket x four people. I would never book that kind of connection (two independent airlines) to make a major transatlantic flight and risk that, myself.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for the input everyone. I thought that RyanAir sounded to good to be true and it sounds like it is......I better rethink my plan..