Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Air sale to Europe? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/air-sale-to-europe-141576/)

xxxx Jan 14th, 2002 01:40 PM

Air sale to Europe?

I am waiting to buy tickets to europe for the easter week (last week of march). I've heard comments by others on this site that they are planning to visit europe over easter because the air prices are SO LOW right now. I think the prices are outrageous - am I missing the good deals? The decent rate they have at this point stop at March 20 and even then those rates are not as good as they have been in years past over this "supposedly" slow season.

Lynn Jan 14th, 2002 01:53 PM

I think it always helps when asking for airfare deals to let us know your optimum travel days, point of departure and destination. At least that way someone may know of, or have stumbled across, something that may sound good to you.

sister Jan 14th, 2002 02:00 PM

Where are you going? Consider alternative airports..for example sometimes it is less expensive to fly into Lyons than into Geneva....

Bill Jan 14th, 2002 02:52 PM

I agree to a certain extent. These are the same winter prices we see year after year. However, if you are flexible and can allow an entire day of traveling I have seen highly restrictive rates as low as $350 - $400!

xxxx Jan 14th, 2002 02:55 PM

Bill - I am looking for any day between March 23 and returning by the 31. You said you have seen rates around 350-400 over that period - WHERE? Like I said before - I have seen those rates as well but only until March 20.

x Jan 14th, 2002 03:21 PM

I'm very confused by this post, as I have no idea where 'xxxx' is departing from to get to Europe, nor do I know where 'xxxx' is intending to go in Europe. Furthermore, xxxx, you said "I am looking for any day between March 23 and returning by the 31". Between March 23 and what date do you intend to depart? All I can surmise is that you want to return somewhere from Europe on March 31st -- but I still don't know the departure and arrival points and am vague on the departure date from the origination point. <BR><BR>Could you be a little more clear, or for that matter, a little less vague? <BR><BR>The only piece of advice I can give you with absolutely no information is to fly midweek. You'll save about $25 for each leg of the trip.

xxxxx Jan 14th, 2002 03:29 PM

Sorry - I suppose I am just use to thinking in terms of east coast prices. Atlanta to any place in europe - but Rome would be the preference. Leaving around March 23 give or take a day or two - return on the 31 give or take a day. I'm flexible to a degree - I usually just sit around and wait for sales then book to an affordable spot. LIke i said - avg east coast prices that i have seen have not been in the 350-450 range for easter but others claim they have found great deals - perhaps a fare of 700 is great to them - i don't know.

x Jan 14th, 2002 06:55 PM

Okay,xxxx, you've given us something to work with. Now, you need to narrow down exactly where you want to go or what you want to do. Come up with 5 places. After you do that, since you have some time, try doing some searches on Orbitz, flights.com, the airlines web pages, and Smarter Living. At least you will then have ball park prices. If you just want to get to Europe cheap, and don't care about frequent flyer miles, start bidding low on Priceline, but you have to realize that after you get a winning bid, you have to add on the sales tax, and you won't get any frequent flyer miles.<BR><BR>Here's something to think about ... first, you want to fly during shoulder season (at least your return is then), secondly, there are going to be a lot of venues closed on Good Friday and obviously, Easter Sunday. Venues, may or may not be closed on Palm Sunday.<BR><BR>Here's the last thing you need to keep in mind ... even if you do have to pay $700 for a roundtrip ticket from Atlanta to somewhere in Europe, you will be traveling over 7000 miles roundtrip -- that amounts to TEN CENTS per mile. Keep that in perspective. $700 during shoulder season, really isn't a lot of money, but, yes, it is a lot more than flying to Europe in low season.<BR><BR>Hope this helps.

x Jan 14th, 2002 07:06 PM

xxxx, the more I think about your trip, the more I think you should leave a week earlier than you have initially planned. To start with, you'll get bargain airfares, secondly, the hotel rates will still be low, and, thirdly, there won't be crowds. You could save yourself hundreds of dollars by traveling a week earlier. The weather isn't really going to be much different. The best way to save money is to be flexible. You can find bargains going to Prague or Budapest.

x Jan 14th, 2002 07:28 PM

xxxx, check out the air/hotel packages at www.go-today.com -- just saw some very good packages that will cost you less than $1000 for 7 days/6 nights including air from Atlanta, hotel and the single supplement charge. The departure dates are varied -- before and after March 23rd. Looks like you could get a full package for London for less than $700.

Beth Jan 15th, 2002 10:04 AM

Icelandic has a twofer going through the end of March I believe - $250 for one/ $300 for the other person. Get yourself on the e:mails from various travel sites. That's where I get notice of the good rates. Unfortunately, I am waiting for late April/early May!!

Gretchen Jan 15th, 2002 11:52 AM

Along the line of the person who suggested gotoday.com go to Delta (your main carrier in Atlanta) and look at Delta vacations.

elena Jan 15th, 2002 12:00 PM

We just took advantage of the Icelandair 2 for 1. We will leave March 19 and return March 27 - BWI to Paris - for a total, including taxes and fees, of $614.00. Not all travel days were available, we had to adjust our dates a little, but for a short getaway the price was too good to pass up.

Judy Jan 15th, 2002 02:31 PM

Hi xxxx, I got a 300$ r/t from Delta. When they started adding taxes and fees and such, it was 390$. My dates are close to yours, Elena.. March 19-26. But we will be in London doing massive amounts of day trips (with my SE Flex Pass from Britrail). I also got a FABULOUS rate from Priceline for the Thistle Charing Cross. <BR>My own "package" is very similar to the Airlines, but I had more choices. <BR>And I LOVE to plan BTW.<BR>Judy :-)

Barry Jan 18th, 2002 12:38 PM

Yep... timing is everything! We got $309 ATL to Zurich travel ending by March 20 ... March 21 the same flights go to $1,128 !!! We get great deals from Atlanta to Europe every year in March. To get the best deals you just start at March 20 and go backwards the number of days you want to stay! Flexibility is the #1 criteria to saving money traveling!<BR><BR>Good luck with your trip,<BR><BR>Barry

Sheree Jan 18th, 2002 12:56 PM

We just booked flights to London,including roundtrip from Chicago, 5 star hotel for 6 nights for TWO for 1700. That included hotel tax and air. Look at British Airways or www.aavacations.com,(where we booked ours) I believe travel is good until April 6.

Christina Jan 18th, 2002 02:46 PM

They just had an ad in my paper a few days ago about a very good sale on RT air fares from many US cities to many European cities and it was valid through April 6th. I'm pretty sure it was British Airways. For example, RT Wash DC to Paris was less than $500 as I recall, probably without taxes, I don't remember; it may have even been less than $400, it was real cheap (other cities were London, etc, all the capitals).

xxxxxx Jan 18th, 2002 02:53 PM

yES i agree timing is everything but when you teach there is not much flexibility. <BR>Those fares that run through April 6 only allow the outbound date to be before March 20 so they do no good for my schedule but thanks.

Peg Jan 18th, 2002 03:38 PM

If you are willing to take a chance with Priceline, you could get a deal. Just got three roundtrip tickets Atlanta-Paris, (for April) at $300 each.I bid that amount, never expecting it to be accepted and almost fell off my chair when five minutes later, I had tickets! The cheapest at Orbitz or anywhere else was $650.