Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Air Greenland closes route from Baltimore/Washington to Greenland

Air Greenland closes route from Baltimore/Washington to Greenland

Apr 29th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Air Greenland closes route from Baltimore/Washington to Greenland

<<Air Greenland’s board decided at its meeting on Monday, March 10th to close the airline’s route between Kangerlussuaq and Baltimore/Washington. This means that all ten flights planned for the coming summer season will be cancelled. Affected passengers will be contacted as soon as possible by their travel agents or ticket offices. The reason for the decision is that the route made a loss in its first season of DKK 15.1 million and preliminary figures for 2008 predicted expected losses in the two-digit millions. This is partly due to increased costs for fuel and aircraft rental, but also due to the low dollar rate which has reduced American demand for travel abroad. At the same time, Air Greenland now has to compete against SAS and Air Iceland, and the company can therefore not accept another year with losses of the same dimensions on a single route.>>

I spoke to a representative from Air Greenland last year at one of the New York travel shows, and I asked them why they selected BWI over JFK/EWR. I predicted that their unwise decision to select the cheaper slot would doom the route to failure, but I didn't realize it would occur so quickly. If they had operated out of either JFK or EWR, both of which are better "feeders" to Europe, they would have had a better chance.

Apr 29th, 2008, 08:08 AM

Are you implying that the people who might fly out of JFK/EWR are less affected by that "weak dollar-reduced travel demand" than the people who might fly out of BWI?
Apr 29th, 2008, 08:26 AM

If people need to go to Greenland without backtracking from Iceland or Denmark, they'll fly out of any reasonable airport on the east coast.
Apr 29th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

No, I'm suggesting that EWR/JFK are better hubs and easier for people to transit through than BWI. There are more direct flights from elsewhere in the country into EWR (Contintal's hub) and JFK (a hub for Delta) than BWI (which, as far as I know, isn't a hub for any legacy carrier).

Are there any other international carriers who use BWI as their sole US gateway (I think Ethiopan may only fly to Dulles), but there are not too many airlines that select BWI as their US entry point.

We'll never know what would have happened if Air Greenland selected JFK/EWR instead of BWI, but I'm sure they didn't hire McKinsey to do the study for them.
Apr 29th, 2008, 08:51 AM

Who wants to go to Greenland?
Apr 29th, 2008, 08:57 AM

I don't mind going if I have the time and the price is right. And if I decide to go, I won't care if the non-stop flight departs from IAH, EWR, JFK, BWI or XYZ. I will get to XYZ if I need to.

Search this Thread