Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Air France Yes, No , Maybe So? Your Experiences?

Aug 20th, 2001, 01:47 PM
Greg Gallagher

I originally put this on the airlines post. Since people seem to be so much nicer and helpful on this thread I thought maybe I would get a better response. I am going to Paris in a couple of weeks on this airline. I have flown Swiss Air, Lufthansa, and Delta to Europe. Can anyone tell me how this line compares? Have you had good or bad experiences with them?

Aug 20th, 2001, 01:48 PM
janice

No complaints - I wouldn't go rushing out to do an endorsement for them, but they were very similar to Delta, British Airways, United and American.
Now, if you'd asked about Alitalia!....

Aug 20th, 2001, 01:53 PM
Capo

Hi Greg. I haven't flown Air France to Europe, but have flown it twice between Paris and Nice and have been very pleased.

Aug 20th, 2001, 01:55 PM
s.fowler

Food usually much better than average as is the wine -- crews can be nice to snippy. The ground personnel is another matter. They can be rude and unhelpful. The airline is also very vulnerable to the French national sport -- work stoppages -- not so much theirs, but something or other concerning the airport. We've stopped using them to Paris for those reasons.

Aug 20th, 2001, 01:56 PM
s.fowler

Which is to say I agree with Janice -- no better, no worse -- just different

Aug 20th, 2001, 01:59 PM
Katherine

I've flown Air France SFO to CDG several times. Will opt for United every time if available. Air France seems more cramped, bathrooms get good and yucky by arrival and the flight crew was not the nicest. I don't usually eat on the flight, so can't comment on the food.

Aug 20th, 2001, 02:00 PM
Katherine

Janice, What about Alitalia? Is it just me or do their seats seem to have more legroom?

Aug 20th, 2001, 02:05 PM
janice

I have a thing about Alitalia. A really really big thing. The last time I flew back from Rome to Chicago, (November 1999) people sitting in the exit rows piled all of their carry-on baggage in front of the emergency exit doors, and people sitting at the bulkheads piled their things in front of them and used them as footrests. I was dumbfounded - and lost a bet with my travel companion that they would be asked to move their bags before the plane took off. But NO!!! these bags stayed like that for the entire flight. While the staff and many of the passengers smoked their way through the non-smoking flight.
Now, I try to be a relaxed, easy-going and low-maintenance traveller, especially on airplanes, but I had a tough time not going ballistic at lots of people that day....

Aug 20th, 2001, 02:06 PM
elvira

The male flight attendants are nice to the female passengers, and the female flight attendants are nice to the male passengers. Same sex/same sex - snippy is a positive comment.

The food is good, all other - ahem - amenities are no worse than an other airline. If the flight times and costs are better than other airlines, go with it.

Aug 20th, 2001, 02:17 PM
Hank

Air France is very rigidabout closing their doors at a set time: if their rule is 45 minutes before departure and you get there 44 minutes before, they typically stick to the "rule." Almost every other airline will go out of their way for you unless its really close to takeoff, say 15 minutes; not Air France.

Aug 20th, 2001, 02:20 PM
Paul

We have flown with AF internally in Europe (Paris-Prague; Paris-Lisbon; Paris-Bordeaux) but not across the Atlantic. Servic was a little bit better than US domestic airlines. The crews were quite professional. Food was much better than US domestic flights but still airplane food.

Aug 20th, 2001, 02:20 PM
Beth Anderson

yes no maybe so? are you in the military? just curious... I've heard that from a few soldier friends, never anywhere else...

anyway, I love AirFrance. actually if you purchase Delta tix to France there is a good chance you will be on an AirFrance plane anyway...

all the champagne you can drink, even in steerage! not that I can drink that much you know. hic.

Beth

Aug 20th, 2001, 02:26 PM
StCirq

I've flown Air France a gazillion times and had very few complaints. I agree the food is often a cut above that of the other airlines and that sometimes the crew can be snippy (but sometimes can be très charmant). My main complaint regards their Fréquence Plus program. They didn't even allow non-French to be members until about 5 years ago, and you just TRY getting those miles! It's always something (flying on a Tuesday in a blue coat, Madame - beh! No miles for you, tant pis!). That and a couple of strikes made me switch over to United, where I've had few complaints also, but lots of miles.

Aug 20th, 2001, 02:47 PM
JD

I have flown "AIR CHANCE" twice, and am actually flying it between Nice and Paris in 2 weeks. My husband and I call it "AIR CHANCE" because that has been out experience - hit or miss. The food is good, better than most. The CHANCE part is whether your bags will arrive with you. On a direct flight, no problem, any connections make it risky. Like I said though, we are flying it again in a few weeks with a connection to continental. If my bags don't get there, at least it will be on the way home!

Aug 20th, 2001, 02:54 PM
Nance

I agree with Hank the above poster.
It took so long for Air France to transfer us from one of their own planes we took from Florence to Paris to catch another of their own planes to NY that we missed the NY flight. They had kept us in a holding area waiting for few and far between busses to transfer us and then when we reached the gate at exactly the right time they slammed it in our faces! They were then extremely rude to the about 8 of us they had shut out (all strangers).
Also, we had the appropriate amount of time scheduled between flights.

Aug 20th, 2001, 03:12 PM
tony

Have flown Swissair, Delta, and Air France the past couple of years to Europe. Air France is by far the worst. It was not what I expected, but the food on Air France was awful, couldn't eat it, much worse than even Delta. The plane we were on was a little less clean and kept up than Delta. Flight from Paris to Philadelphia. Swissair was very nice. The best I've flown in years. Professional cabin staff, good food, roomier than the others in tourist class.

Aug 20th, 2001, 03:33 PM
Bob Brown

I have flown 3 trans Atlantic legs and 2 intra Europe legs with Air France.
The B777 on the Atlanta Paris route is the worst of them all in terms of seating because of the tightness of the distance (pitch) between the seats.
Food is so so. I don't recall it being overly bad or good.

But Delta flies the same aircraft on that rout, too, so that is no relief.
Within Europe, the flights usually are on an Airbus of some type; they seem to have a little more toe room.
But coming back from CDG to Atlanta last year was not much fun. I rode standing up part of the way and so did my wife.
When one of us was standing, I could fold the arm rest down and geta little more room by turning sideways.
I think I got in the crews' way by standing so much, but tough, I was uncomfortable to the point of needing relief. True, if all had stood, there would not have been enough room.
I will take my next European flight when I have enough frequent flier miles to upgrade to business class.

Aug 20th, 2001, 03:39 PM
Martin

On a intra-European flight from Florence, Italy to Paris on Air France they left the cockpit door open throught much of the flight and I could look down the aisle and over the pilots shoulders to the great beyond....
Two other passengers got up and walked up to the cockpit door and asked to be admitted and were told OK one at a time, and this was while we were airborne.
Never again!

Aug 20th, 2001, 05:26 PM
greg gallagher

Hi Beth. I'm military brat of sorts. Any more and I have to kill you, hehe. Lived all over the world most of my life.

To the other poster thanks for the info so far. Both positive and negative is good. Better prepared than pissed.

Aug 20th, 2001, 10:53 PM
Chris

I'd choose Air France planes over Delta and Continental EVERY TIME. Food is much better, seats are better. Service? Typical French -- men nice to women, women nice to men (just like Elvira said), and always aloof. But hey, all I really want is to get to my destination safely.

I find it interesting that Air France is usually MUCH cheaper than Continental (by $200 for my flight this month and $500 for my flight next month) and cheaper (usually by $50-$100) than Delta.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO