Search

Air France Terrorist Alert Incident at Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air France Terrorist Alert Incident at Heathrow

Hi everyone,

My family was one of the unfortunate ones who had a flight out of Heathrow on August 10, 2006, the very day of the announcement of the terrorist plot in the UK. As a result, our Air France flight from London to Paris was cancelled and we took the train instead later that day.

We later contacted Air France to request a refund of this flight and their response was as follows:

"Because your flight was cancelled for reasons beyond the carrier's [Air France] control, no compensation is provided under European Directive no. 261/2004."

So, what they're essentially saying is sorry we took your money for a flight that never occurred, but tough luck and we don't care.

How can European Directive 261/2004 or any legislation allow an airline to keep money for a flight that did not occur regardless of the circumstances? Can anyone advise on any recourse I can take to get a refund or even a credit from Air France? While the money is important, it's also the principle as well in that they took money for an unfulfilled obiligation.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,
Steve Young
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 05:59 PM

Write to them again and again and again! It's a shame that a company can take advantage of their customers, especially in a terrorist situation. I'm sorry that happened to you!

Monica

Old Dec 12th, 2006, 06:01 PM

What about writing to the Ombudsperson at Conde Nast Traveler?
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 06:05 PM

http://www.smartertravel.com/travel-....html?id=10443

Christ Elliott at Conde Nast Traveler..write and tell him what happened. In the link above is the address and some advice on how to get help..Good luck!
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 06:20 PM

You say "later" but did you contact them promptly after that day (like within 48 hours)? I think they would have given you credit equal to the value of the unused ticket, at least that's the way I understand their "contract of carriage", which was consented to when you bought the ticket.

See below: under definitions read "force majeure", and under tickets read "(d)."

http://www.airfrance.fr/US/en/local/...edito_cgt1.htm
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the advice so far. I will write to the Ombudsman at Condé Nast Traveler and and Chris Elliott as well to see if they can help. Thanks again.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 07:01 PM

For future reference, would trip interruption/cancellation insurance have covered this?
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

To Travelnut,

We did pay by American Express which is suppose to include travel insurance. However, they have an exclusion that says (excerpt):

"There shall be no payment under this Policy for Loss arising from the following perils:

...(b) War, invasion, hostilities, rebellion, insurrection..."

So insurance won't pay either.

With terrorist activities affecting air travel becoming more common these days, travellers are the unfortunate victims and there appears to be no recourse as corporations hide behind these exclusion clauses.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

To bluestar,

We were in the middle of a long European vacation so we did not report to Air France until a few weeks later when back home. Thanks for the "force majeure" reference. I'll see what I can do with this.

Regards,
Steve
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 07:35 PM

steve, Chris Elliot is the Omnbudsman Good luck!
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 01:33 AM

War, invasion, hostilities, rebellion, insurrection

which one of those includes an event that never occurred?
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 01:43 AM

Some travel insurance policies purchased seperately do cover this ..but you really have to read the fine print.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 02:21 AM

Didnt Air France offer something as an alternate at the time? Fly the next day? I cant imagine they just said, oh the flights canceled, best of luck to you. I suspect that since you chose to make your own arrangements rather than take what Air France offered you might be out of luck.

I could see them allowing you to use the ticket for later travel or perhaps a credit towards another Air France flight.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 02:52 AM

Just curious. Did you ask Air France if they could book you a later flight, or a flight out of another London airport?
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 03:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I can't imagine that AF just sent people away either. They probably just said to wait until the flights resumed -- and a lot of people didn't want to, or couldn't wait. "Force majeure" is generally implacable.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 05:49 AM

You should do the one thing you CAN do.

Contact your representative in the EU/Parliament/Legislature and work to CHANGE European Directive no. 261/2004 so that airlines MUST reimburse you for tickets in the event of war, invasion, hostilities, rebellion or insurrection.

If you are a US citzen, contact your guy/gal in congress try to ensure the same.

If you don't like a law, then work to change it.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 05:58 AM

So? You had to purchase new one-way tickets to get home.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 05:58 AM

Yes, and in case of nuclear attack, they should pay double.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

To kerouac and MorganB:

You can call Heathrow or Air France yourself if you don't believe me but, if you were there, you would've heard a public announcement that morning of Aug 10 that ALL AIR FRANCE FLIGHTS THAT DAY ARE CANCELLED. Not every airline chose to cancel all flights that day, but Air France did.

Air France offered no other alternative other than we were given a business sized card with their telephone number and told to call them and that there was nothing else they could do and we should seek other forms of transportation. They did not provide any alternatives and they did not tell us to come back the next day and we were left to fend for ourselves amidst the chaos that was Heathrow that day.

Not that I think you care, but if you still can't imagine it, give me your fax number and I can send you supporting information, including the letter where they essentially said tough luck because of 261/2004.

To everyone else, thank you very much for your help and understanding. I will take your information and continue to pursue until resolution.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 12:06 AM

Oh, I absolutely believe you. I believe that you were given a card with a phone number and I believe that you did not contact Air France until a few weeks later. I believe that Air France would have arranged transportation for you as soon as possible if you had called the number. I believe that you had the free choice to ignore that option and make your own arrangements, and I also believe that since you were on a long European vacation, it will not be possible to claim that your vacation would have been ruined by a one day delay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -