Air France Question

Jun 4th, 2003, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Air France Question

I'm flying AA to Paris and then am getting on Air France. I'm bringing a 22" carry on and a tote/purse. Will Air France allow both bags on? or is it one bag only? I know about the 26 lbs. I'm fearful of having my luggage lost. If Air France won't allow me to carry on both should I still carry both on AA and then check in when I get to Paris?

Thanks
Jun 5th, 2003, 05:13 AM

Yes, I believe all airlines allow you to bring a purse in addition to the luggage.
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:10 AM

We recently travelled on Air France. They have, by U.S. standards, very strict carry-on rules.

The Air France ticket jacket contains detailed information on baggage restrictions. As for cabin baggage, it states: "Please be sure your bag is the accceptable size and weight: 1 piece (Dimensions: 115 cm [length + width + height]) and 1 accessory such as a laptop, a camera or a handbag for a total weight of 12 kg maximum."

The equivalent dimensions and weight are 45 inches and just over 26 pounds. At the Air France check-in counters in L.A. and Paris, we had to place our bags on the scale so the ticket clerk could place the "cabine" tags on our carry on luggage.
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

So both items together can't be more than 26 lbs?
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:01 AM
Bootman4U

With the greatest of respect..do you want the REAL answer to thgis question or a bunch of "I think probably" opinions? If it is the former, simply call Air France and ask them. DO NOT ask them if they enforced their own carry-on rules because they will inevitably say they do..but those who have been traveling lately know that rules enforcement, particularly about carry-ons, is spotty at best.
Your choice..do you want "an" answer...or THE answer??????

Jun 5th, 2003, 09:02 AM
Bootman4U

With the greatest of respect..do you want the REAL answer to this question or a bunch of "I think probably" opinions? If it is the former, simply call Air France and ask them. DO NOT ask them if they enforce their own carry-on rules because they will inevitably say they do..but those who have been traveling lately know that rules enforcement, particularly about carry-ons, is spotty at best.
Your choice..do you want "an" answer...or THE answer??????

Jun 5th, 2003, 09:10 AM

Most kindly, I too think you need the answer direct from the airlines, and assume it will be reinforced to the max. to avoid surprises.

If your AA/Air France flights are code share on 1 itinerary (not 2 separate flights) you may be able to check all the way thru? If you do check your main bag, pack the tote with anything hard to replace (eyeglasses, prescription meds, cosmetics) and a change of clothes. Luggage is rarely lost forever, merely delayed.
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:21 AM

I've flown AF several times in last year or two and they are very strict about carryon stuff. It doesn't sound like your 22 inch will qualify -- mine never do on AF. I don't push it or argue, though, I just check mine to get rid of it. I think that weight is hard to meet with a fully packed suitcase, and they are pretty picky about the size, also (ie, if you have one that expands or is packed very full, it won't meet the unpacked size dimensions).

If I were you, you can try to carry it on, but I would go assuming that you will not be able to and plan accordingly. I don't know about the carryon and then checking option as I've never switched from AA to AF. If you are changing in Paris, that sounds like you are getting on a smaller plane and regional flight if it's AF, so the baggage limits may be even more strict. Even AF uses other carriers from Paris to other countries, as code shares.
Jun 5th, 2003, 01:43 PM

Christina raises some good points. Last month we had an Air France code share flight on Iberia. The plane was a "Canadair Regional Jet." The overhead bins had very small openings that were only about eight inches tall. I was barely able to wedge my soft-sided 20" carry-on bag with no wheels (8 inches wide) into the overhead. My wife's 20" hard sided carry-on with wheels (8-1/2 inches wide) would not fit, so we placed it on the floor in front of us. It took the entire space, and two bags would not fit there. In addition, Iberia's carry-on weight limit is more restrictive at 10kg (22 pounds). We knew this in advance and packed light.

Some regional flights are even more restrictive. I recall once traveling from London to Paris on British Airways, and their carry-on weight limit was something like 13 pounds.