Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Air France, KLM, or Continental? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/air-france-klm-or-continental-363338/)

mp413 Oct 4th, 2003 01:15 PM

Air France, KLM, or Continental?

Flying to Paris after Xmas, wondering which of these 3 airlines would be best... I know US carriers have had to seriously cut back on perks, but not sure if that has affected Euro. airlines as well? As far as food, winem entertainment, comfort, etc., which of these would be best? I have done searches on this site and there is NO consensus! I don't find people who had one bad experience or one good one on an airline convincing--I want opinions from people who have flown on one or two of the airlines above many times and can make a statement based on constistency! Thanks.

tangwah Oct 4th, 2003 01:47 PM

Never flown on Air France or KLM, but have a horror story to share about Air France. Friend was flying to Paris from Chicago. At the last minute was told the plane had broke but all other flights on other airlines had left. We think Air France waited till all the other flights had taken off before informing their passengers the plane was broke so that they needn't transfer their passengers to other airlines. Anyway they offered to put them up in a hotel but they had to check out at 11am even thought their was 9pm (or close to that).

Mara Oct 4th, 2003 01:49 PM

mp413 - I do not know where you are flying from but Travelocity is showing a round trip fare from NYC to Paris of $216 before taxes on various airlines, one of which I remember to be Air France. Does that help your decision?
Mara

kismetchimera Oct 4th, 2003 07:29 PM

I have flown only twice with KLM, but numerous times with Air France and Continental to Europe.I like both carriers, the planes are moderns, cleans, with the latest games, tv on each seat etc.., Airline food is never good anyway, and service in cattle class is the same.

Surfergirl Oct 4th, 2003 09:11 PM

Each outbound city has a different type of plane, so it depends on what type of aircraft you'll be flying on in making a decision which one is best. We fly out of LAX and have flown on KLM and on Air France (both 747's). KLM economy is okay and KLM business is great. Air France economy is good (except for the food leaving LAX) and Air France business leaves everyone else we've flown just blowing in the wind.

Mary_Fran Oct 4th, 2003 11:09 PM

I've only flown Continental only once, but they earned my loyalty by putting us up overnight in Newark when our flight from the west coast was delayed due to weather in Newark that delayed our flight from Seattle, so we missed our connection to Amsterdam. Because the cause of the delay was weather-related, they weren't obligated to pay for our overnight stay to wait for their next flight to Amsterdam, but they did.

Food, wine, entertainment, etc., are all pretty much the same, in my experience.

Pat2003 Oct 5th, 2003 03:12 AM

We flown with all of them many many times. No big difference! Sometimes there are problem on any of them but we cope with them. If you are looking for a perfect one you have a long wait in front of you. I would go for the cheapest fare and time of deaprtures and arrivals.