Air France fares

Mar 25th, 2001, 06:33 AM
wendy

Air France fares

Finally!

Air France has some incredible fares available on their web site.

Bonne chance et bon voyage!

Mar 25th, 2001, 07:24 AM
Rex

Good find, wendy.

And while it should be self-evident, that's www.airfrance.com - - for those who were wondering.

Best wishes,

Rex

Mar 25th, 2001, 08:30 AM
Rich

BA has a bunch of reduced fares also. The Hoof and Mouth scare must be having an effect on trafic?

Rich

Mar 26th, 2001, 10:29 AM
Austin

Wendy--

Your post about Air France sale fares was indeed a great find---it also spoiled my weekend.
You see, only a couple of days ago tickets for my wife and me arrived in the mail--about $1,500--lowest (then) economy class.
After I read your post I logged on to airfrance,com (it wasnt easy) and found out that I could now--a few days later--get the same tickets for $368 each. AAAAARRRGGGHHH!
And of course there's nothing I can do about it since the tickets are non-refundable, etc.
But you did well anyway (except I wish I had never read your post) :=)
Best wishes,
AH

Mar 26th, 2001, 10:31 AM
Lori

Booked Air France NY - Lyon, Paris to NY for $451.00. Yahoo!!!!

Mar 26th, 2001, 10:35 AM
StCirq

AH:

I just happened to have read the following this weekend in this month's issue of National Geographic Traveler magazine (p. 22): "TRAVELTIP: What to do if there's a fare sale that lowers the price of a ticket you've already booked? While airlines wo't reissue the ticket at the lower fare without charging a heft fee, many, including American, will give you a voucher for the difference."

Might be worth asking what AF's policy is.

Mar 26th, 2001, 10:54 AM
Judy

Really St. Cirq? I want desparately to lock in a seat for our Scotland/Ireland trip on Aer Lingus, I know I should hold out, but the wait is KILLING me! And I just KNOW the minute I buy the darn things, prices will drop! I will have to read that article. It is like playing chicken, and I always blink first! Judy

Mar 26th, 2001, 02:49 PM
Ann

Are there ever any reduced fares/specials from the U.S. to France (Lyon preferred) or Italy for mid-August to early September? We're trying to decide what to do during that time this year.

Mar 26th, 2001, 03:00 PM
Christina

I have flown Air France to France in prior years in September, and when I did, as I recall the fares dropped a day or two after Labor Day (going). YOu should probably be able to see that now if you do a fare search by date. Even if tickets are nonrefundable, you usually can cancel and change with an administrative charge of about $100, so I think you should be able to do that re the $1500 vs $400 fare (which I will admit I find incredible, as even though fares are very high this year to France in peak summer season, they are not anywhere near that high for July/Aug, more like $1000-1200 RT from east coast). Perhaps you waited too long and the best fare seats had sold out, which I suspect may be the problem if you just bought the tickets, so if that's true their may not be any seats at this new fare either, but you should check--well, you said you did and they had seats at $400? Or was that just the advertisement price, in which case there might not be any seats at that price for your flight, so you should feel better.

Mar 26th, 2001, 03:26 PM
wendy

Austin!

I feel just terrible!

But I was looking for a ticket to Lisbon for less than $1300 and I just kept trying, knowing the fares HAD to get lower. As you saw it went down to $488.

I'm really sorry, but BONNE VOYAGE!? I hope it caught someone else in time!

Mar 27th, 2001, 10:49 AM
JoannR

If you keep looking on skyauction or thedailyauction, you can find great deals too. I'm traveling next weekend from Dulles to Paris Orly on Luftshansa - cost including tax - are you ready???? $205 RT.

Mar 27th, 2001, 11:05 AM
bill

air france deals are good, but can you book them? I have been trying since Saturday using their web page and calling them on the phone. No luck, thre are all booked for my time slot. may 30- June 3 already. Their customer service phone lines are not very good. I called 3 times and had to wait each time approx. 25 mins. I had the feeling one girl was reading a magazine while talking to me. I called my travel agent and got a delta flight hotel etc for about the same price.

Mar 28th, 2001, 05:22 AM
wendy

Joann R~

Are these websites? I'm on it! Thank you for the GREAT tip!

Mar 30th, 2001, 09:25 AM
JoannR

Yes, Wendy, they are websites. www.skyauction.com or www.thedailyauction.com. What I do is check out the airlines' specials on the web, check out what's on the above two sites, make bids on priceline for about 30% less than what I find and then go with the closest to what I want to spend. Last year I flew roundtrip from Dulles to Barcelona for $325 in mid-May. This year's deal was especially exciting because I'm combining it with RT to Dublin for only $70 more. I love travel!!!

Mar 30th, 2001, 01:59 PM
david

What are everyone's experiences with skyauction?

Mar 30th, 2001, 05:24 PM
ldsant

Austin:

Depending upon whom you booked your tickets - I just received travel vouchers from UAL because two tickets I had purchased for my niece went down by $75 per ticket from the time I bought them. I would call the airline and ask them to look and see if there is now a lower fare. Have them adjust your ticket and send you the $$ in vouchers if you are planning on travelling again or have them credit your charge card. Good luck! $1500 v. $400 is quite a chunk of change. . .

Mar 30th, 2001, 05:35 PM
av

People who bought tickets for >1000. Where are you flying from? I was checking on Expedia from time to time - economy tickets from NY to Europe were <500 since beginning of March

Mar 31st, 2001, 02:54 PM
meg

I agree with the above post. Where are you finding these fares, especially with Aer Lingus? I spent two weeks in Ireland last August - started to access fares in January, 2000 (about $750). Bought three months ahead and then monitored different sites (for the same $750 and much more). They never came down - ever!

This past early December a friend was there on business and wanted to extend his time in Ireland. Aer LIngus was totally booked for three weeks. He finally had to leave on the time of his original ticket. Yes I know he could have flown to Yugoslavia then to Zurich etc. and then to the US, but he merely wanted a flight from Ireland to the US and it was not a possibility via Aer Lingus. I'm assuming they cut down on their flights per day so that they fly full - which is good business sense.

I've been to Ireland many times and in my experience, Aer LIngus has low cost flights only in the worst months of the year, otherwise you're on your own. Italy seems to be comparable as far as low cost flights go.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Mar 31st, 2001, 03:29 PM
Judy

Bummer, about Aer Lingus...I am waiting for the fares between Edinburgh--Dublin to fall, so I am probably out of luck for Aug, yes?

Apr 1st, 2001, 07:51 AM
jackie

Have you seen any discounts for NY-Athens? The lowest I found was $1200, but it may be because I am returning from Istanbul.

Any advice?

Search this Thread