Air France fare- Boston to Paris

Jan 5th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Air France fare- Boston to Paris

Hubby and I are planning our 10th anniversary trip for June 2010- I'm kicking myself for not booking tickets when I checked fares about a month ago and the nonstop flights from Boston were $408 each way. They're now up to $580-
Does anyone know if this means all the discounted seats have been sold- I wouldn't think so this far in advance. Is it possible fares will drop as we get closer- or is this typical for that time of year?
Same fare on Delta right now too- Delta and Air France are the only carriers with direct from Boston to Paris.
Any advice or insight is appreciated! Should we just go ahead and book now that we've settled on dates? The hotel we've selected (the d'Aubbuson) is only guaranteeing our rate- which is quite good- until Jan 12th. I'd hate to wait only to see fares continue to increase.
Jan 5th, 2010, 01:25 PM

You might as well go ahead and book the hotel... there will be flights at that time regardless. The cost is likely to be around $1000, possibly more. If that's what you're looking at now (total), I'd go ahead and book.

Fyi, Delta and Air France are code share flights. Try to book with the airline that actually flies the route (unfortunately, it may be Delta).

Enjoy!
Jan 5th, 2010, 01:43 PM

Hi; American Airlines has direct flights to Paris. Richard www.aa.com
Jan 5th, 2010, 02:05 PM
yk

AA flies BOS-CDG nonstop seasonally during summer season.
Jan 5th, 2010, 02:06 PM

I suggest booking now. That's a good price.
Jan 5th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Richard on the American tip-
Just checked fares there for the same dates and got the same price. Roundtrip total for two people is around $2500. Zoecat you say this is a good price? It seems really high to me- but then again, I haven't flown this route before.
Jan 5th, 2010, 02:23 PM

Agree, if you can get that price, book. Not sure what your June dates are, but the ones I used, the price was double tne $580. Keep looking on a Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Saturday. Fares are very flexable.
Jan 5th, 2010, 02:26 PM

If the AF flight is the same price (and it looks to be flown by AF), I would recommend a European carrier over an American one. We've flown AF a number of times PHL-CDG and love them. Cattle class is nothing special, but the food is somewhat decent and the free wine is very nice. Also, we've had little trouble with check-in at CDG - just make sure you do it online the day before.
Jan 5th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

We are planning to fly the overnight on a Thursday- return the following Tuesday- I've diddled around with different days of the week and it just doesn't seem to make a difference.
I think we'll just go ahead and book- I'm not sure we'll get lower than $580 for a one-way in June.
Thanks for the help! And we do plan to use AF.
Jan 5th, 2010, 03:12 PM
yk

IMO, $2500 for 2 people is a lot to pay for BOS/CDG, even for June (high season).
Jan 5th, 2010, 03:17 PM

Hi doodlebug, I am also going to Paris in June leaving from Boston. We already booked our flights thru Air France but we are using FF miles. We are going for our 5 year anniversary.

What date are you leaving from Boston?
Jan 5th, 2010, 03:29 PM

yk is 'right on', and that's on AF. Be patient. Go to 'aisle seats' resent post with many web sites. If you look in the Europe forum over the last few days, you will find his thread. He lists a number of sites that will give you a fare check. One can never say never, but for the next month the prices should not increase. Try to be patient. Richard
Jan 5th, 2010, 03:32 PM

I saw an airfare on Icelandair for $779 for June. The layover is only 1 hour. Maybe something to consider.
Jan 5th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Perhaps the previous posters misread $508 as roundtrip and not one way? $508 would be a terrific fare for roundtrip-
We are willing to be patient- i will keep checking daily.
Janie- we plan to leave June 10- returning June 15. We are somewhat flexible with dates- our hotel has given us a rate based on those dates- and June 10th is our anniversary- so we prefer to travel on that date.
Thanks for the tips Iris and Anya- I will surf around- although we'd really like to avoid connections-
Jan 5th, 2010, 03:41 PM

Anya; Good thought. We are flying that airline in August to Helsinki and return from Bergen. The flight for $780, including taxes was on June 8th returning on June 14th. Other days are higher.
Jan 6th, 2010, 06:36 AM

I would wait, that's not a particularly good price. Depending on market conditions, it might wind up being the best price you can get, but I would want a couple more months. Consider this:
airfare prices will adjust to meet market conditions. It is (IMHO) too early to accurately gauge market conditions for June. The economy may recover enough to drive demand and prices up, or it may remain soft enough to keep travelers at home, forcing airlines to discount to fill seats. At this point, I would consider that price a "place-holder" price for the airlines.
Based on price patterns I've seen over the last year or so, this would definitely fall on the expensive end of the spectrum. You would be smart to wait. The chances of prices going up are very small, while the chance of prices dropping as the date gets closer are much better.

Keep checking travel sites such as Kayak or Bing's travel section. You can try different scenarios (changing days of the week to travel, for example) and you can sign up for alerts on specific airfare conditions. For example, right now, Icelandair has ROUND TRIP for $852 from BOS to CDG, with one stop on each leg in June. If you're willing to be a bit flexible with your dates, you can save a LOT.

So, I would really encourage you to wait and watch.
Jan 6th, 2010, 06:49 AM

The Delta flights from Boston to Paris are on Air France planes.

A price of $2500 for two round trip tickets on this non-stop route is not impossible. I have paid this much a couple of times in high season when it didn't get any lower. But too early to tell if it will go lower this year.
Jan 6th, 2010, 07:53 AM

Sorry, I thought the price of $580 was RT. That does seem high for RT. I would wait and see if the price drops in Jan or Feb. Or, if the price is significantly less, fly 1-stop.
Jan 6th, 2010, 08:25 AM

Doodlebugg: One tip I have learned on these Forums is to go into your browser settings and DELTE YOUR COOKIES - (or at least delete them from the airline sites you have been looking at - if you can identify them). Several times I have read, (and it worked for my wife just last month) - that when you go back to the site after having deleted cookies, the fares have changed, usually lower.

Good luck in your pursuit.

Steve
Jan 6th, 2010, 08:47 AM

I don't think that fare is unusually high at all, it's what fares are like nowadays nonstop in summer, and they were like that last year. So it might drop some, but it is not absurd at all. I got many many quotes for months last year around $1200 RT to go to CDG (from IAD, but still) in the summer and they never changed. Other carriers that weren't nonstop were barely different. I decided I couldn't afford it that year, so waited and got a super sale fare on Air France for last September, only around $600-700 RT instead.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO