Air France-EXACT details on ticket

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter is flying with Air France in six weeks. It is the first time that she has used her airmiles. It seems that when she joined the scheme they put her down as a man and so her card reads "Mr". This has never been a problem whaen she has paid for a ticket and then produced the card at check in to have the miles credited.
However her ticket has now been issued to "Mr" although the name which follows is correct.She has asked them to change this but nothing has happened.
Does this count as a fundamental discrepancy so that she may be refused boarding?
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 11:10 AM

The ticket needs to be changed for sure. She might, or might not be denied boarding, but you cannot take that chance. Even if she is allowed to board, then you have to contend with custome upon arrival
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 11:19 AM

For what its worth my wife had an Air France ticket from Strasbourg to Ajaccio Corsica this summer that had her last and first name reversed. Instead of Debra Shephard it said Shephard Debra.

I tried to get it changed but Air France never did respond to my request and we just kept it as it was. It was no problem.

Though I must say I would have been more comfortable having it correct.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 11:27 AM

no, you absolutely do not have to worry about customs on arrival. You don't even go through customs if you have nothing to declare, which few people do. I've never gone through customs when arriving in France. A lot of people don't even know what customs is, I think. I don't think immigration really cares, either, actually, as I don't recall that they look at your airline ticket, they just look at your passport and you do have that form you fill out with your flight number, but they don't look at your airline ticket.

Personally, I don't think it matters as I have an AF FF account and have flown them many times, and they don't put titles on the boarding pass. At least mine don't show any title, just my first and last name. They probably put Mr on the email notification or something. I don't think a social title (Mr, Mme, whatever) is part of your legal name. Do you have an actual ticket (which I didn't think they issued any more, just etickets) with that on it, or do you just assume that because it is on the emails? I have at least two prior AF tickets in front of me, and they didn't have anything on them but my real first and last names, not titles at all.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 11:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
On a plane ticket the last name is ALWAYS first.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 11:41 AM

I don't think is going to be an issue at all. If the name matches up with that on the passport, that's all they're going to care about, IMO. Surely this happens with some frequency.

She might want to get to the airport a bit early and talk to someone at an AF counter just so she's not panicking when she goes through security, though.

As Customs isn't relevant to this at all. As Christina says, she won't even go through Customs unless she's got stuff to declare, which would be highly unusual.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

I need to make a correction here, even though my daughter booked using her Air France airmiles, she is actually flying with Delta and her destination is Costa Rica. That is interesting because she also has Delta frequent flier miles but that card doesn't designate a sex.
This caused me to look at e tickets I have for forthcoming trips.Jet2, Thomsonfly and Air France have a designation i.e. Mr or Mrs, First Choice do not.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 01:09 PM

If your daughter's tickets says Mr, I would strongly suggest you have this taken care of before hand. I know people who have been denied boarding for lesser errors than that. Anybody who has gotten through International check in and security for errors similar to this has been lucky. Why take the chance?
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 01:20 PM
J62

I agree with the rest of the posters (most of them) that this is a non-issue. The name is correct and that's all they care about.

sam17 might have some credibility on travel topics, but based on his/her answer that Mr vs Ms matters to customs (or even immigration) makes me put less weight on the answerws to this topic. I've never seen or heard of an immigration officer looking at a frequent flier ID card or boarding pass. Passport is the ID that matters.

Old Sep 7th, 2008, 02:05 PM

J62, with all due respect, are you suggesting that it is perfectly OK for the passport of this person NOT to match the ticket? Are we talking about the frequent flyer card and ID, or the ticket? If it is the frequent flyer ID, I agree with you 100% that is a non-issue. However, I believe the OP was saying the actual E-ticket was issued as MR.and in reality it is a female. If this is so, this is far from a non-issue.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 04:00 PM

Just as a notation, several times I have been listed as mr. on my northwest tickets and as I mentioned it to an agent, they said it was because only so many letters were allowed in the listing and with me using a first and middle name there was not enough space, thus mr instead of mrs. Hope this is of some help and even internationally, have never been questioned on it. Halfpint
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 10:12 AM

I think the point is that a passport does not list any honorific or social title, that is not part of your legal name. My AF tickets, even when bought online, had no title on them at all, as I said. They do have me listed as "miss" in their database and emails, however, as I have an Air France frequent flyer account. Now my name is long, so perhaps it is a case that my full name would never show up and that is why it isn't on there (and, I might add, my first name listed on the ticket is often cut off as they don't have room for my full firstname, so that is a discrepancy and no one has ever blinked at that one).

well, I personally wouldn't worry about it, but if it is just an eticket, then obviously, they can change it in the computer, anyway, and maybe they have.

I've never known anyone denied boarding over trivial things like that (and, as I said, my first name has been cut off, and I've had etickets on other airlines that listed my social title wrong, and no one cared, but that was marital status), as "Mr" is not part of anyone's legal name, but I would ask Delta the question if one is concerned.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

I agree that the designation of someone as married or unmarried ( Mrs or Miss or Ms) or Mr or Master or indeed Lady is probably unimportant, BUT in this case it renders her male-which she isn't and I could understand someone officious taking the point.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 12:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I remember that Boy George was stopped at the French border once when he was trying to enter the country in drag, but that was a long time ago. I don't think anybody checks sexual identity anymore in the West -- so either Mr or Mrs is fine as long as the name is correct.