Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Air France/Delta Seat Plus/Comfort Economy?

Old May 15th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have seats for a trip in June from Minneaplis to Paris. I read about Comfort Economy and Seat Plus yesterday. We booked on Air France but the actual plane and flight crew are Delta. So yesterday I called Delta and the, pardon my French, moron who answered the phone didn't seem to know what I as talking about and even informed me that I had no ticket! He said in his minimal knowledge of English that my husband had a ticket but I did not! He proceded to talk non-stop and seemed very confused. So I escaped from his crazy-town and called Air France. The person on the other end assured me that I absolutely did have a ticket. When I inquired about getting a better seat with either of these programs he responded, "I will have to do some research about his." So eventually he told me I could book one of these seats for 50 euros each. I told him I would call back after checking with my husband.
So today, I called AF to book these seats and the response was, "You can only book these at check-in." I mentioned that it didn't mesh with what I had read (or seen on this flight's seat availablity chart) but he wouldn't budge. Have to wait for check-in.
So does anyone know if there is truly a way to get one of these seats for myself and my 6 foot 3 inch husband? What to do?
Old May 15th, 2012, 02:17 PM

I would try calling Delta back. On Delta you can book it at the time of booking your ticket or anytime up to check in.
Old May 15th, 2012, 02:21 PM

Try doing it online. Pull up your reservation and see if it will let you upgrade to Economy Comfort for a fee. If this doesn't work, then call back until you get someone with some skills. If you booked on Air France, and have an Air France ticket number (beginning with 057, as opposed to Delta where tickets begin with 006), then you might be constrained to doing it within the Air France system. These two systems (AF & DL) are not well integrated, and things can be awkward. Things price differently, and what can be done after you purchase your tickets differ too. Keep trying.
Old May 15th, 2012, 02:21 PM

I would call again until you get someone who will let you book it right away. However, since the original booking is on Air France, you may be stuck with not being able to reserve it until check in. This seems to be true of many international carriers.
Old May 15th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

It is an Air France ticket, although I can't find the ticket number on the print-out. The flight number and equipment and crew are all Delta. I will try calling again but I have gotten 3 people who seem, shall we say, less than well-informed. Thanks. Even though it is an Air France ticket, should I still call Delta or will that translate into me gumming up the whole works?
Old May 15th, 2012, 02:51 PM

I don't think that Delta can actually help you if it is Air France ticket. See if you can pull up your booking online at the Air France website. If you can't purchase Economy Comfort there, then try calling Air France again - - if you get agents who can't help you more than once or twice, then say, "I would like to speak to a supervisor."

Apparently, this is kind of a sticky wicket - - here is a FlyerTalk thread describing some others' experience. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flyin...b-members.html You may want to post to the Air France forum on FlyerTalk to pose your exact question there:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flyin...-partners-594/
Old May 15th, 2012, 03:47 PM

dfourh - From learning the hard way, you are absolutely correct. If it's booked through AF, you will have to deal with them, even if it's a codeshare.

Try www.seatguru.com It will give you information on Delta's equipment and seating. The seat width is the same, but, depending on the airplane, the pitch is 3"-4" greater.

There's more info there.
Old May 15th, 2012, 04:27 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Do you have FF status with either Air France's Flying Blue program or Delta's FF program?

>>>It is an Air France ticket, although I can't find the ticket number on the print-out. <<<<

Your record locator should be all letters. You should be able to access your reservation online.
Old May 15th, 2012, 05:02 PM

Here's my story -I am on an air france flight out atlanta that I booked thru delta frequent flier. #1 - Air France's comfort plus can only be done online and you need to have the AF confirmation. #2 - when I went to do it I found my ticket but there was no opton to upgrade to comfort plus. I then called the AF hotline and they said my plane didn't have comfort plus and that I could pay money just to book the exit row. I said thanks anyway.
Old May 16th, 2012, 10:44 AM

OP here (work screen name). So I called AF again and this time I got someone who had a working knowledge of English, which seemed not to be the case when calling Delta or AF a number of times previously. This guy says, "No problem!" I would need to book Economy Comfort since it was a Delta plane, etc and no such thing as Seat Plus. But alas, no Economy Comfort seats available on the night flight over the pond except the middle two behind the bulkhead. Don't like middle at all but I was able to book two Economy Comfort together window/aisle for the trip home from Paris. It was 80 dollars each but I was so happy to speak to someone who was helpful that I booked them. It is a bit horrifying how you can get so many different responses depending on who you get on the phone. The moral is, if you don't get satisfaction, call back until you do. Thanks for you help!