Air France Carry-on Limit

Feb 25th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Air France Carry-on Limit

If anyone has flown Air France lately I would be curious as to your experience with their carry-on baggage rule. Their website says one carry-on bag and one personal item, the latter being defined as a purse, briefcase or laptop. I want to bring a 21" carry-on and a tote bag on my flight from Los Angeles to Paris. What are my chances?
Feb 25th, 2004, 02:49 PM

You would be wise to call Air France (I know: they don't make it easy) and ask what their allowable dimensions are. And be warned that AF flights within France often have stricter baggage requirements; we've had to stop and re-pack so as to check a piece that wasn't allowed on board.
Feb 25th, 2004, 04:04 PM

Air France sent me the following reply to my inquiry regarding baggage sizes last month (sorry for the mess, I just cut and pasted!):
Dear client,
IN ALL CABINS ON FLIGHTS DEPARTING FROM THE USA :
1 SINGLE PIECE OF HAND BAGGAGE, MAXIMUM SIZE 115CM FOR
THE 3 DIMENSIONS(55X20X40 - WHEELS AND HANDLES INCLUSIVE).
1 SMALL ACCESSORY SUCH AS LAPTOP OR LADY HANDBAG, EACH
BELOW 15CM DEPTH.
MAXIMUM TOTAL WEIGHT FOR ALL CABIN ITEMS : 12 KGS

Checked baggage

IN Y (economy) CLASS :
1 BAG MAX 3 DIM BELOW 158CM / 62INCHES
+ 1 BAG MAX 3 DIM BELOW 140CM / 55INCHES
-- MAXIMUM WEIGHT FOR EACH PIECE --
----------------------------
32 KG / 70LB
EXCEPTIONS /
- INFANTS (WITHOUT SEAT) :
1O KG BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE + 1 COLLAPSIBLE STROLLER
ARE ACCEPTED AS 1 PIECE OF BAGGAGE 158CM (62IN) INCLUDED IN THE
PAX BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE :
- 1 SLEEPING BAG
- 1 RUCKSACK
- 1 SNOW/WATER SKIING EQUIPMENT
(1 SKIING EQUIPMENT ALLOWED PER PSGR :
1 PAIR OF SKIS, 1 PAIR OF POLES, 1 PAIR OF SKIING SHOES OR
1 SNOWBOARD + 1 PAIR OF SKIING SHOES)
- 1 GOLFING EQUIPMENT CONTAINING GOLF CLUBS + SHOES
- 1 BICYCLE
- 1 FISHING OR SHOOTING EQUIPMENT
- PORTABLE MUSIC INSTRUMENT BELOW 100CM LONG (39IN.)
THE SURFING EQUIPMENT IS NEVER INCLUDED IN THE ALLOWANCE.
ANY OTHER ARTICLE WILL BE TRANSPORTED AS A PIECE OF XBAG AND
CHARGED.
Feb 25th, 2004, 04:39 PM

It depends upon the tote bag.

1 SMALL ACCESSORY SUCH AS LAPTOP OR LADY HANDBAG, EACH
BELOW 15CM DEPTH.
MAXIMUM TOTAL WEIGHT FOR ALL CABIN ITEMS : 12 KGS

That seems rather specific.
Feb 26th, 2004, 08:10 AM

I think their limits may be different for flights not to or from the US. We flew CO to CDG in May, and AF from CDG to VCE, and they would not let us take two items on the plane from CDG to VCE, so we had to check our 22 inchers.
Feb 26th, 2004, 10:09 AM
JonJon

I applaud your attempt to be proactive but none of this makes any difference in my past experience with AF and other airlines...it all comes down to whether or not they are strictly enforcing the rules on the flight that YOU are on...and anyone who tells you that these rules are uniformly enforced will launch a thousand reutations from others that they aren't.

Feb 26th, 2004, 12:03 PM

I do agree that you never know for sure until you get there, but generally, I would plan that you will NOT be able to take both those aboard. Those rules above don't allow it and they seem pretty strict about it on every flight I've been on. You probably could if that extra tote bag you have is extremely small like a lunch bag, but I'll bet it's as large as a small piece of luggage, and so you will have two pieces. Also, hardly any 21" suitcases really fit their standards as they count the handle and wheels and will count it fully packed -- most people traveling like that stuff it so it expands 4" or more to the sides.
Feb 27th, 2004, 06:13 AM

Here is my thought.
A 21 or 22 inch piece of luggage counts as a carry on ONLY if the outside pockets are empty and it is NOT expanded.

All too often I see people getting on planes with these things stuffed to bursting and then they won't fit in the overhead.

I do travel with mine, but it only gets carried on if it meets the requirements I outlined. SO for example on my recent trip to Atlanta I did some shopping and had to expand. That luggage now was checked!

(This means I never wind up doing carry on home from Europe, I am never as good a packer!)
Feb 27th, 2004, 03:47 PM

As others have pointed out Steveboy your chance of smuggling a 21" bag on the plane is pretty slim. The biggest bag I ever brought on board was 19".14".7", well under the limit but even so the KLM flight attendant insisted on checking it in the hold. I stood up in protest and was able to keep my bag in the cabin.

In addition to the overall size, "fat" bags are an extra problem. The opening for the overhead compartment on most planes is an inflexible 9".

Carry-on and checked luggage allowances within Europe are lower than for trans-Atlantic flights.