Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Air France cancels flights today to LAX - terrorism
Notices

Air France cancels flights today to LAX - terrorism

Dec 24th, 2003, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Air France cancels flights today to LAX - terrorism

Just heard that the French Gov. cancelled three flights of Air France to Los Angeles due to terrorist threats.

I have a friend who was planning on leaving today from LAX.
Dec 24th, 2003, 11:31 AM

SeaUrchin, it's my understanding that the US EMbassy in Paris requested that these flights be cancelled today. Sounds to me like the US gov't. might have some info, and would rather be safe than sorry. All flights coming into the US from Europe and Mexico will undergo greater scrutiny, beginning today. The challenges of furnishing secure airports and modes of travel in America since 9/11 cannot be ignored, especially during what is typically the busiest travel week of the year. While no gov't agency functions flawlessly, I have to say, since 9/11 I've been impressed with the fact that the biggest news story is that there is no big news story about a single multi-casualty terrorist act in America.

I support the idea of being ever-vigilant in order to be ever-safe, and the people on this board who know me well know that I'm fairly liberal in my political views.

Happy & Safe Holidays to All,
BC
Dec 24th, 2003, 11:33 AM

I posted this on the US forum also-this is from Reuters.

Air France Cancels U.S.-Bound Flights Over Security

PARIS (Reuters) - France said Wednesday that national carrier Air France had canceled three U.S.-bound flights from Paris due to security concerns.

The French interior ministry said the flights were canceled at the request of the U.S. embassy in Paris. The United States is on a heightened state of alert ahead of Christmas and the Washington Post reported that foreign airlines were under particular scrutiny.

An Air France spokeswoman confirmed that a flight due to leave Paris at 1235 GMT for Los Angeles had been grounded "for security reasons."

The French prime minister's office said the cancellations had been prompted by information obtained from anti-terrorism operations. An interior ministry spokesman said that two other flights to the United States had also been canceled. It was not clear whether these flights were bound for Los Angeles or elsewhere.

The U.S. government raised its terror alert to the second highest level Sunday and warned Americans there was a high risk of attacks around the holidays in the United States that could be bigger than those of September 11, 2001.

The Washington Post reported Wednesday that new U.S. intelligence had prompted greater scrutiny into whether foreign airports and airlines pose a security threat.

U.S. security officials were thoroughly checking the identities of foreign flight crews and had questioned a few people with names that appeared to be similar to those on the FBI (news - web sites)'s "watch lists" of suspects, the report said, citing administration sources.

Officials declined to identify the air carriers involved, the newspaper reported.

Passengers coming into at least one major U.S. international airport on Air France and flights from Mexico will be subject to more security procedures beginning Wednesday, the report said, citing industry sources.

France has not raised its security alert for the Christmas holiday period.

Dec 24th, 2003, 11:44 AM

Cancelled: AF068,69,70 today; 68,69,71 tomorrow per TV news, also mentioned an Air Tahiti flight cancellation (via LAX to Papeete).

Search this Thread