Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Air France-business class. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/air-france-business-class-143401/)

Deborah Jan 18th, 2002 07:26 PM

Air France-business class.

I was wondering if anyone out there has flown business class on Air France. If so, what can we expect? We have only been on Delta, international business class and it was wonderful.

Sjoerd Jan 19th, 2002 01:38 AM

I have flown Air France business class a couple of times between Europe and Central Africa and it was great. Comfortable seats, good food and wine. And in-between meals they have a small bar set up where you can serve yourself with drinks and snacks.

Barry Jan 20th, 2002 09:43 AM

Hi Deborah -<BR><BR>Air Frace business class isn't even close to Delta Business Elite.<BR><BR>We have done trans-atlantic 6 times in the last 12 months.... 2 on Delta and 4 on Air France. Each delta trip was wonderful! Only thing positive I can say about Air France "l'affaires" is that it's better than being crammed into the small seats in tourist.<BR><BR>We are from Atlanta (born and raised) and on the last trip in August of this year my wife asked for a Grand Marnier after dinner. The flight attendant looked at her as if she was speaking swahili or something... it took several attempts by both of us before she understood!<BR><BR>Although, this is our experience in every French speaking country we have ever been to! (Tahiti excluded... they are wonderful there!)

Deborah Jan 20th, 2002 01:22 PM

Thanks Barry. We are also from Atlanta and we are very partial to Delta. The Delta Business Elite is VERY nice. We have tried to change our flights from Air France after getting feedback from various sources but we are using an award and the seats are already full. Oh well, I guess it will be better than coach on any flight. I will remember to not order a Grand Marnier!

Pronunciation Jan 21st, 2002 04:09 AM

Order that drink--just pronounce it right. Perhaps it was the Southern drawwwwl.<BR><BR>:-)

John Bermont Jan 21st, 2002 12:27 PM

I flew Air France business LAX to CDG a couple of years ago. Magnifique! Sjoerd has it right. You'll enjoy the flight even if it's not your home town carrier.

Mike Jan 21st, 2002 02:06 PM

I flew Air France business class, Boston to Paris, last July (I upgraded from coach using AMEX membership points).<BR><BR>Other than having more room, the tiny TV screens, better couple of meals, it was rather uneventful. Was it worth an additional $4,500 or so (cost compared to coach?) Not even close.

John G Jan 21st, 2002 04:48 PM

I have flown Business Class twice on Air France and it was very impressive. Far better than Delta, which I always refer to as Air Georgia :) The food can't be beat, and the flight attendants are professionally attired and groomed, unlike Delta where the flight attendants wear way too much makeup and have Texas-sized hair.<BR><BR>I agree with the above about the Grand Marnier, Barry and his wife were probably pronouncing it in away that the flight attendant did not understand. They serve Grand Marnier all over France.

Deborah Jan 22nd, 2002 11:41 AM

Thank you everyone for the information. I will stick to the wine.

Dale Jan 22nd, 2002 11:56 AM

My wife and I were upgraded by AF last September ATL-CDG on a 777. I didn't think that it was any better than a bulkhead seat in coach. Glad that I didn't pay for it.

rj Jan 22nd, 2002 12:06 PM

We flew coach on Air France in December and it was amazingly good. The best coach experience I have ever had. The food was good, they had a bar with smoked salmon sandwiches set up in the back throughout most of the flight, the flight attendents were attractive, helpful, and very polite. I can only imagine that Business Class would be awesome. I look forward to flying Air France again.

gerianne Apr 19th, 2002 08:31 AM

So disappointed now. It took me 4 years to save the 80,000 miles....and I am flying home from Paris on AF in business as opposed to Delta's business elite. Am I wasting my miles? Yes, the ticket is free....and some may say I should be thankful for that,,,,,but I ate an awful lot of Omaha steaks....and made an awful lot of MCI calls....not to mention charging everything on AMEX to get these miles!!!!!!!! What bothers me most is that Delta didn't tell me that AF had THREE classes of seats....and that this would NOT be comparable to Delta's business elite...which, again, is what I saved for!!!!!!

gerianne Apr 19th, 2002 08:52 AM

Just thought of something! How does one use their ff miles to get a seat in AF's PREMIERE class as opposed to their business class?????????????? Does it take 120,000 miles??????????????

Andy Apr 19th, 2002 10:27 AM

AF has 3 classes---coach,Business and First class==<BR><BR>Delat has 3 classes-Coach,Business Elite and FIrst Class-<BR><BR>SAME thing-different names--

Andre Apr 20th, 2002 02:09 AM

No, Delta doesn't have 3 classes. On long hauls, there's coach & business elite.<BR><BR>While I've never flown Delta's business elite, I have been on Continental's businessfirst, which is a comparable set up. Yes, AF business class is a step down, but still quite pleasant and not comparable to coach. I also find it better than biz class on some other 3 class airlines such as Swiss(air). <BR><BR>Personally, I would NOT be willing to pay extra to fly on businessfirst - I don't need more than fast checkin, a lounge, a comfy seat, decent food and peace & quiet on a flight. I can get this in most any biz class.<BR><BR>International first class such as l'espace premiere on AF is in a different league: flat beds in semi-private "cabins". Never done it, but I would rather save my miles and fly biz more often...<BR><BR>One final piece of advice: some of AF's planes (B747 lower deck and B777) have 3 seats in the center section of biz class - book a window or aisle seat to avoid being caught in the middle seat!<BR><BR>Andre