Search

Air France

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2003, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air France

I am getting ready to leave for a Direct flight from Atlanta to Paris with air France. I have never ridden this particular airline before. How is it?
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 03:19 PM

There really are numerous comments about Air France and it's best to do the text search above. Type in "Air France".
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 03:35 PM
LN

Hi

Sounds like you already have your tickets!! I would have no problem flying Air France - they treated us quite well and we enjoyed our flight with them.

We flew AF to Paris and Rome and on our return from Rome there was an engine problem causing us to stay in Rome for a couple extra hours. When we got to Paris we had missed our connecting flight back to Dulles and AF put us up in a nice hotel, bought dinner with drinks/wine and everyone on our missed connection was quite pleased. Haven't had service from an American carrier like that EVER!!
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 04:19 PM
tondalaya

Decent airline, not great, but none are in our economy class.

Old Jun 8th, 2003, 04:57 PM

If this is your first trip to Paris, you will totally enjoy getting in the French mood with Air France.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 05:08 PM

What exactly is it that AF does to get people in a French mood? It's in their brochure also; it did mention that the food would be a typical French type of meal.
Sorry to say that when I flew AF 4 years ago the food was inedible. And there was nothing done for us nor given to us in economy class to make us feel we were flying the French flag carrier airline. Service was sort of indifferent actually. It must be a different type of service in business class and first class.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 05:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
since they tied in with Delta, they have not been as reliable. We were bumped the last flight. Instead of direct from Boston and the time, we had to rush when they phoned to say we had to be on an earlier flight and change in Ny. They did not give us any compensation in any form. We paid for not all we paid for is the way I see it.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 05:34 PM

Remember Aunt Janet said the food was great...although that was a few years ago...
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Well thanks for all the replies!! Haha
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 06:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If you're interested in the food, go to www.airlinemeals.net. You even get photos!

On our trip on Air France (economy) from L.A. to Paris, the flight was non-eventful (yeah!) and the food sucked (except the Yoplait yogurt). They had a cous cous dish (and I ordinarily like cous cous) that was so awful my son still talks about it. However, the food they get comes from my home town, so I shouldn't complain.

On the trip back, we got bumped up to business class due to overbooking. (Yeah!). Aside from the food coming from France, there wasn't anything that my son could complain was gross. In fact, he liked all the food -- he was even more impressed by the big leather seats and the personal t.v.s.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 07:18 PM

They sneer at you and ignore you and make fun of your accent.

ha ha just kidding

They get me in a French mood because the canned music on the headsets will have several channels with French music (ie, contemporary), they show French movies often, and they have tons of French newspapers and magazines, which I really enjoy reading as they are quite expensive in the US. I'm surprised you found the food inedible because it's always been better than almost any other airline that I've flown on. As for the food, the main entrees, etc are sort of usual airline microwave stuff (even if more French ideas), but they do have good bread and decent French table wine for free. And, their coffee is a heck of a lot better than American airlines.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 07:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I have always flown Air France and have never seen a French film, nor have had great food.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 05:43 PM

I have flown Air France a number of times over the years - most recently last month. I guess I have been lucky in that each experience was wonderful. The food was good (not great - but better than the domestic airlines I've flown recently). I enjoyed speaking in French to the flight attendants (hey - any excuse to practice is a bonus for me! And even when they are speaking English, their accents are so cute!). I loved reading Le Figaro and whatever magazines they had available in French. I enjoyed listening to French music & watching Frnech movies on the video on the seatback in front of me (and I was in Economy). And best of all was the free champagne & wine (hee hee hee.) These were just some little things that "got me in the mood" on my trip over.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 06:21 PM

Have flown AF only twice. The first flight was awful. Though in Business Class on an older 747 my seat had a large tear and was soiled with some "sticky" substance. In addition the panel between the seats had no cover and all sorts of electrical wires were sticking out. Needless to say I had no inflight entertainment and the food was un-edable. The return flight, however, was pleasant but not impressive. Like any other major carrier, each flight is a crap-shoot.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 06:55 PM

Air France is a decent airline. I used to fly them all the time, but their damn Fréquence Plus Program is practically impossible to accumulate miles with, so I switched to other carriers.
The food is OK, the service is generally good, and, well, what else can you expect in coach? They serve decent local wines with the meals and have good pilots.
Just don't expect to join their frequent flier program and easily get miles unless you are French, traveling on a Thursday morning without children under 12, arriving in Nice before 5 pm, and have purple luggage.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 07:09 PM

With foreign flag carriers, the best approach is usually to accumulate your miles with a U.S. affiliate or partner, when that option is available. In this case, Delta Skymiles would be the program to bank miles flown with Air France for a U.S. resident, I believe. Doing that should provide more flexibility and options for using and earning FF credit.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 07:56 PM

StCirq, I'm from Sweden and I have joined their frequent flyer program. I have not got any problem getting miles.
I do not think the problem is because you are not French.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 08:58 PM

The rule for foreign airlines to Europe (my rules) (West -East) get on at night well fed and prop up to sleep, expect nothing!Bring your own water bottle. Return to the US; food should be better but carry on food + water in case. First or Business class same applies.
My PRE SARS in flite rule is and was: wear an allergy mask on board when flying and not eating or drinking. JUST A THOUGHT. Saves cold infections, especially to the throat if you fall asleep with your mouth open! NOw Bon Voyage and travel for the price!!!
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 09:00 PM

PS: Know the seating on the plane and don't let them seat you in the row before the toilet or emergency exits.
THEY OFTEN DO NOT RECLINE!! Nice thought for 9+ hours aloft!!
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 05:58 AM

I flew Air France Atl direct to CDG last August and their business class was terrible compared to Delta. I was in the first section of business and the tried too peek into economy but the flight attendents didn't like us to walk around much. I found the food to be inedible although the wine was good. The food was even worse on our Air France flight from Paris to Athens actually the plane itself was gross dirty and visible duct tape repairs to seats and closets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -