Air France

May 7th, 2001, 12:16 PM
Scott

Air France

How are the flights on Air France? I am thinking about taking a round trip Air France flight to France, and I was just curious as to people's experiences with the airline.

Also, I am 6'4"...do they have enough leg room for me? Unfortunately, I can only afford Economy class tickets...

May 7th, 2001, 12:28 PM
Louis

I have flown Air France numerous times and have liked it. The air crew is friendly (had a snooty male steward but that was only one time) and the food was good. I would fly them again. Unfortunately, I am only 5'9" so I am not crowded, but I do know that the seats by the emergency exits have a lot more leg room. So too do the seats right behind the bulkheads that separate the travel sections and, on the long wide-body jets, isolate the intermediate restrooms, although not always.

May 7th, 2001, 12:30 PM
Bob Brown

Hi Scott. I have ridden from Atlanta to Paris and back two times.
Out of the 4 flights, 1 was Delta for Air France and 3 were Air France equipment and crew.
The trip last year was on a Boeing 777.
As far as I know on the Paris Atlanta route, both Delta and Air France are using that aircraft. I do not know if the older Airbus 340 is still in service or not. It seems to have an inch or two more leg room, but that is not very helpful is some drunk in front of you reclines his seat all the way.

In my opinion, the AF flight was real cattle class. I am 6 feet, but long in the legs. I could not get comfortable, period. Going over I slept fitfully. Coming back, I dozed some, but spent at least 35% of the time standing near the galley and rest room talking to whomever would talk to me because standing was better than sitting.

There was nothing particularly redeeming about Air France's service and meals.
The airline did not lose my luggage nor was there any other pain and suffering inflicted on me. But that seat was enough!!

Unfortunately, the airlines seem hell bent on crowding as many people as possible into economy class. I think the practice is awful, but there is nothing I can do about it except refuse to go.

I got to thinking that if I had just 4 inches more leg room, I would be comfortable. Of course, the airline would have to take out a few rows of seats, but with the number of passengers in cattle class, the per seat increase in price to raise the same revenue would be very, very little. I figured it up once and it was something like $20 per ticket more to generate the same gross revenue.

May 7th, 2001, 12:31 PM
Thyra

Scott...
Honestly IMHO in Economy class.. at 6 4.. you are outta luck finding leg room on ANY economy flight. My husband is 6 1 and has to fold like an accordian when we go overseas. You might see if you can get a bulkhead seat, (which are the seats in the front of the rows) usually they give them first to families with small babies, but my 6 6 father in law did manage to get one on Virgin Atlantic.
As far as Air France goes.. I have flown them several times and in my experience they were on time, relatively polite, decent aircraft and slightly better then average economy food.

May 7th, 2001, 01:06 PM
Wendy

Like Bob, I too have done the Atlanta Paris route about ten times and on combination flight Delta/Air France #22. The Air France staff has always been average, they've never lost my luggage, we have always arrived on the minute and nothing was remarkable about the voyage. Which is more than I can say about some airlines!

Now I do the Air France #29 leg out of Dulles and the staff is still average, they still haven't lost my luggage and we still arrive right to the minute. However, the food on the last flight was truly awful and they have started landing at a different terminal than listed on my ticket without notifying me...which makes meeting other people in the airport tricky flying in from other places to rendez-vous. Thank goodness the driver last month checked early and noticed, picking me up at the different terminal and then my clients.

I fly with them on the airbus 340's and started accumulating miles due to the easy non stop flight and no problems on flights...

May 7th, 2001, 01:10 PM
wendy

Scott, I forgot to mention that maybe you can notify the airlines early on about your height, and I really DO hope that they make arrangements for you and give you some priority. Not much choice on economy flights.

Best of luck!

May 7th, 2001, 03:03 PM
Donna

We flew Air France round trip between Boston and Paris. Seats are crammed in there in coach! I'm only 5'5" and my knees were against the seat in front of me. I was unable to sleep at all. Last June, we flew American. Those few extra inches make a huge difference.

May 7th, 2001, 03:46 PM
Me

We always fly Air France and have always had a good experience. It's still airplane food, but it's is a cut above and the Nicolas Feuillatte champagne is a wonderful way to start the trip!

I am only 5'6" but I still have some discomfort on the trip. But in truth, I have never been comfortable on any airline for a long flight except for the time we were upgraded to Business Class.

I have to say one thing about the bulkhead seats. We got them once and at first I was delighted. No one was pushing their seat back into my face and I could cross and uncross my legs easily. However, even though I am not tall, the majority of my height is in my legs, and one way I stretch out on the flight, is to straighten my legs under the seat in front of me (just as far as that bar, not so far as to intrude on the person in front). On the bulkhead seats, you hit the wall, so you cannot fully extend your legs. I didn't think they were all they were cracked up to be - at least not for me.

May 8th, 2001, 08:06 AM
Allen

Scott, Im 66" I flew from Paris to San Francisco last june on 747-400. It was all that bad, certanly more generous with the leg room than Delta. Make sure you get isle seat.
Take Care!