Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   air fares in may to paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/air-fares-in-may-to-paris-164160/)

micheri Jan 14th, 2003 04:30 AM

air fares in may to paris

hello! i've checked orbitz and tavelocity for air fares to Paris in midmay from newark/ new york, round trip, non stop. their lowest fare was 950. is this a likely fare at that time? Cheaptickets didnt seem to have anything less expensive. any suggestions? thanks

pat Jan 14th, 2003 05:18 AM

Air India flies from Newark/new york and their price for mid May is $472 including taxes. I've never flown them but others on this board have mentioned them positively.

Sue Jan 14th, 2003 05:26 AM

That seems high, but some of the fare sales were earlier, and some flights have been cancelled, enabling the airlines to get more money for the seats available. Eg, I booked in early Dec., PIT to CDG non-stop for $466, inc. taxes, etc. I got word last week that that flight has been cancelled and I now must stop and change planes in PHL. So, with fewer flights I guess they can ask the higher prices, but I still imagine you could get something for less than 950 as time draws nearer.

Mike Jan 14th, 2003 05:27 AM

Try skyauction.com. I've booked several flights with them, to London, Paris, and Germany. Just be careful with the bidding. Know your limit and stick to it.

maryjane Jan 14th, 2003 05:28 AM

We are currently searching for fares on an open jaw trip to London and returning from Paris in mid-May. The best fare I have found is around $800. Several people have told me to wait until mid-February when the fares should start to come down. $950 is to high for a transatlantic flight.

David Jan 14th, 2003 05:43 AM

Last Thursday I booked round trip to Paris from Cincinnati on Continental for $506. Departing last week of April returning in May. I had looked on Orbitz almost every morning since September and for some reason that morning it dropped from the 900+ range. I was curious and checked again in the afternoon and the fares were gone.

Maddy Jan 14th, 2003 05:44 AM

American had an ad in the paper today for sale fares from JFK to Paris and other destinations. I think latest return date was 3/22. I didn't keep the paper and sorry I don't remember exact price but it was much cheaper than $950.

Sue Jan 14th, 2003 05:44 AM

I neglected to mention in above post that the fare I referred to is for May on USAirways.

SA Jan 14th, 2003 06:23 AM

I have been looking since last year for Charlotte to anywhere in Europe & have found little under $1k. Good luck. Since they recently shaved fares through March i am hoping for a price break for later in the Spring, be patient. & if you want to use miles that's probably not happening either (@ least on USAir).

elle Jan 14th, 2003 06:32 AM

I had the same experience that you did, micheri (I'm also travelling mid-May). I ended up finding a $452 fare--Philadelphia-Boston-CDG on American--through Auto Europe's consolidator arm. I've flown this route on this airline before and I'm not crazy about it, but needed to book soon or lose my window of vacation time, so we grabbed it.<BR><BR>

Jason Jan 14th, 2003 06:38 AM

I also got r/t from Memphis to Paris in mid-May on Continental for a little over $500....to go along with David's previous post. I checked expedia and airtravel.net every day for months waiting for a cheap break...The fares were only available for a limited time though

micheri Jan 14th, 2003 09:41 AM

hello! thanks to everyone for helpful info. micheri

flygirl Jan 14th, 2003 10:23 AM

I've flown DC to Paris in late May, in the past, for under 400 bucks including taxes. I should think NYC would be much cheaper.

Mike Jan 14th, 2003 10:52 AM

Hi, I just spent $975 to fly LAX to CDG on 12/21/02. There was no other choice and it was one of the busiest travel days of the year.

Linda Jan 15th, 2003 04:10 PM

you might want to check with an airfare consolidator: economytravel.com, flights.com, faremax.com,autoeurope.com, consolidatorwebfares.com<BR>I am flying from Detroit to Paris in may and have gotten fares from $492-600. GOOG LUCK!!!