Air fares in June or July help us

Feb 9th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Air fares in June or July help us

Been having a hard time finding good prices (under $500 US) from BWI (Balt-Wash DC). Looking for open jaws to Frankfurt or London or Italy. In any order of any two cities.
Checked the normal e-fare airline sties: usair,Delta,BA,AA,Air France....cheaptickets,
Still only seeing ~$1000/per

Have searched Fodor's theads for clues but no joy yet

Feb 9th, 2004, 02:50 PM

Haven't looked lately because we have our March tickets and haven't started looking for Fall tickets yet.

Have you tried Expedia.com, Travelocity.co or Gotoday.com?

http://www.oratory.com/onebag/industry.html has a list of web sites for virtually all major airlines. You could check a few more. Continental and US Air both run a lot of specials.

Good luck.
Feb 9th, 2004, 02:53 PM
SRS

This weekend Orbitz and Expedia were having great prices on flights - around $500 on Alitalia to locations all over Italy. Don't know if they still are there, but you might want to check.

Best wishes,
SRS
Feb 9th, 2004, 02:54 PM

As mentioned on another thread, consider using WAS instead of BWI, so you get all three DC airports. You close off a fair number of options otherwise.

Also try Orbitz, particularly for Italy-based fares - that is where many of the cheap options seem to be right now.
Feb 9th, 2004, 02:59 PM

You are going high season--however on the AOL board someone got a fare of $386 from Boston to Paris on Alitalia, having to go through Rome to get to Paris. Open jaw will also be more expensive. I don't think your fare expectations are realistic.
Feb 9th, 2004, 03:02 PM
jsquared

St. Louis to Rome May 19-Frankfurt to St. Louis June 1st-Bummer!

Feb 9th, 2004, 03:04 PM
jsquared

Sorry, I was so sad to still see $879 I forgot to post the price!

Feb 9th, 2004, 03:11 PM

jsquared, try ITASoftware.com - it shows cheaper results. Of course the trick is finding someone or something to book those results for you.
Feb 9th, 2004, 03:25 PM
jsquared

Thanks WillT,
I checked-$858 is the lowest at this point, but thanks for the link. I'll just keep plugging away.

Feb 9th, 2004, 03:33 PM

jsquared, I tried your itinerary on there a few minutes ago and got $778 total (I think - at any rate it was under $800). British Airways was involved. Sorry I didn't post more details at the time.
Feb 10th, 2004, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Yes, been checking, Tnx for ideas, We know we're going "high" season but now w/ school age kids w/ the oldest (6) going with us ?

Plan is 3 places to stay 4 days each; one of which is a vist to local friends near Frankfurt on either end of the time in Europe.
Feb 10th, 2004, 05:15 AM
ira

Hi compac

Try http://airtravelcenter.com/onetrav.htm

They have BWI/London Frankfurt/BWI for $766 in mid June.
Feb 10th, 2004, 06:04 AM

Bestfares.com lists a members only fare of $579 BWI to Frankfurt with a stopover in London. Doesn't includde taxes - are the other prices you are seeing including taxes?
Feb 10th, 2004, 06:41 AM

Under $500 for an open jaw during the height of the summer travel season seems a bit unrealistic to me.
Feb 10th, 2004, 07:42 AM

compac1882 - I've been having the exact same problem, but am only looking for round trip to Frankfurt or London (Ryan Air between London and Frankfurt or even Italy is extremely reasonable). For weeks ITA software has yielded nothing under $700 (and that was late on a Wednesday night), and the travelocity and expedia sites are listing Frankfurt fares under $400, but only until the beginning of April.

Looking forward to hearing more suggestions or if you have any luck! I'll be jumping on the same fare if you find it!
Feb 10th, 2004, 08:18 AM
QC

This is a helpful thread, but my question for the experienced people is:

What is considered the "normal" RANGE of open-jaw fares?

For example, I am going to Europe for the 1st time in late June. I will fly open jaw NYC - Paris/Amsterdam - NYC.

What should I expect?

$900-$1000?
$800-$900?
$700-$800?
Lower/Higher?

I realize it is hard to predict fares exactly, but most posts here at Fodors seem to be of the "Wow- great fare!" or "You got robbed!" variety. But without a baseline range I find it hard to judge for myself. I'll feel OK about my fare as long as I know it's close to 'normal', but as far as I know, it ALWAYS costs $1,000 to fly this route. I just don't have the experience yet to judge.
Feb 10th, 2004, 09:49 AM

For QC. YOu could consider not flying open jaw--just go back to Paris on the train for a RT fare that might be more reasonable. It is only about 4 hours.
Feb 10th, 2004, 09:59 AM

We found the prices at sidestep.com to be the best.
Feb 10th, 2004, 10:23 AM
rex

There is no hard and fast rule, but I think that most of the time, an open jaw fare is in the general same range as a round trip to either one of the destination cities. Obviously, if the two cities have very different round trip prices - - like London and a very "far eastern" city like Moscow or Tbilisi or Ankara - - then it is hard to gauge (but it still might be similar to the average of the two).

When the open jaw is grossly different (higher), then you usually wouldn't hear about it, because no one would buy it. Those situations might exist when no one airline serves both routes - - so your best bet will be an American company that serves both destinations, or a European which will connect you to both through its principal hub. That might NOT mean that the airline is BASED in either of your destination countries, For example, I have priced open jaw itineraries into/out of central or Eastern Europe on Finnair, and the prcies were very good. Both directions, the flights connected through Helsinki (Finnair has such a sale going on right now in fact) - - but the itinerary did NOT need to include any time actually spend in Finland.

For that reason, the $500 price goal is slightly unrealistic, but not altogether. Fares of WAS-LON certainly CAN be found (occasionally) for $500 in June; less commonly into/out of FRA or Italy too.

Best wishes,

Rex
Feb 10th, 2004, 11:39 AM

I found an open jaw Detroit-Madrid; Paris-Detroit fare of $650 for June BUT it's the Northwest World Vacations package airfare so you have to add on a miniumum of 2 hotel nights OR rent a car to qualify. (No biggie - you've got to stay somewhere, right?)
If you can, you might want to book a package to qualify for low airfares, esp. during the summer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO