Air Europa vs Iberia

Feb 22nd, 2001, 05:16 AM
Michael Ivler

Air Europa vs Iberia

I semi-spontaneously decided to take a week vacation in Spain (Week of March 12). I live in NY. After many phone calls and internet searches I reserved 2 flights to Madrid. One on Air Europa and the other on Iberia. The cost is almost exactly the same. I have read good and bad stories about both airlines. It this point I just thought I would try to get some advice about which to choose. There is so much knowledge on this forum that I was hoping anyone with some experience with either or both airlines would give me their thoughts. I have both tickets reserved for 48 hours.

Thanks for any advice.

Michael

Feb 22nd, 2001, 06:11 AM
Lily

Michael, I would like to say first that Spain is my favorite country. Having said that, Iberia Airlines is my least favorite airline! I just have not had good experience with them. I have never been on an Air Europa flight however so I can't compare. My travel advice would be to just toss a coin and GO! I wish I could go to Espana in 2 weeks and would gladly overlook my previous problems with Iberia if that were the flight I needed! Have a great time and think of all us poor Fodorites at least once.

Feb 22nd, 2001, 06:38 AM
Michael Ivler

Thanks,

I don't do this often. The last time I went on vacation was my honeymoon (in Italy). We both decided that it was time to take a week off and enjoy another country in Europe.

Feb 22nd, 2001, 09:47 AM
Pam

Hi Michael--
I am also planning a trip to Spain, in June. I was confused about Air Europa so I called my travel agent. She had never heard of Air Europa so advised me to go with Iberia which is affiliated with American. She said it's unlikely that this would happen, but you do run a risk of a new airline like Europa closing up shop while you're overseas. I'm a little bummed at the bad Iberia reports, but oh well. You can get American miles off the Iberia flight too. Have fun.

Feb 22nd, 2001, 10:13 AM
igor

I tried to book Air Europe flight for July and they don't even let you book
that far in advance.

Feb 22nd, 2001, 11:12 AM
Jen

Hi I went to Spain last year and flew from Barcelona to Madrid on Air Europa. I booked the flight through travelocity. There were lots of flights to chose from and the people on the plane were mostly business men and women. We were worried about a strike by Iberia. The flight was smooth and we got a small snack.

Feb 22nd, 2001, 12:17 PM
Don

Pam, you need a new travel agent. Air Europa have been in business nearly 10 years. Your TA's CRS doesn't show them, so she tries to book a ticket that earns an easier commission. TWA was set to codeshare the JFK-MAD route with Air Europa beginning this Summer, but with American taking over TWA, not sure if that deal is still on. Iberia and SAS/Spanair have expressed interest in buying tiny Air Europa fairly recently. AE fly one daily widebody 767 on the JFK-MAD route. They also fly intra-Spain routes. Their current February special is only $198 +tax roundtrip. Travelocity shows their fares, ready to book, through Summer '01. Best of luck.