Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Air europa and baggage concerns (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/air-europa-and-baggage-concerns-510004/)

euroenvy Mar 6th, 2005 08:58 PM

Air europa and baggage concerns

I booked a tourist flight from Continental for Europa from Rome to Madrid and was wondering about the luggage (extra) taxes. If you are international but not going back home on that flight that is .I had trouble reaching anyone at the number for AE..also I checked about sending a box of clothes to Madrid and was told (by UPS) that Spain is one county that does not allow clothing shipped tax free...How can i get around this and does anyone know how many kilos are allowed and what's that equal to in Pounds? I read the notes on AE site( in Spanish) and it sounds like one is allowed 20 kilos....thanks

euroenvy Mar 7th, 2005 08:59 AM

we are allowed 88 lbs(20 kg each) I am guessing. They say that you are allowed 6 kilos of carry on but they cannot confirm if this is included in the 20 limit...Im wonering how may pounds a 24 inch case weighs on average...no Im not going to try packing it yet

Intrepid1 Mar 7th, 2005 09:40 AM

20 Kilos is NOT "88 pounds"....20 Kilos is 44 pounds

WillTravel Mar 7th, 2005 09:43 AM

But 44 x 2 = 88, and I think euroenvy is talking about the total for two people.

Intrepid1 Mar 7th, 2005 11:16 AM

Well, if that IS the case then you are correct but I would caution that the airline will weigh each piece separately and neither can weigh more than 20 Kilos or excess baggage charges may result.

Intrepid1 Mar 7th, 2005 11:17 AM

Usually the 20 Kilo limit is im posed on checked baggage; the weight limit for the carry-on is usually separate.

euroenvy Mar 7th, 2005 11:39 AM

Dead on as usual Will!......anyway I plan to take a 9 lb case, a fully loaded 26",two
12 lb carryons and a backpackroller. I have 55 pounds to work with two bags....I guess I wont be bringing alot of wine home!
I called Eurpora 10 times and when they heard I was speaking English they hung up...Shipping one 9 lb.box costs 144.00 if I ship it as a gift to the hotel LOL

euroenvy Mar 7th, 2005 11:44 AM

The way it looks is that it is 20 Kilos per person not per bag..at least that is what I took to mean..I wish it were per bag!!!And even when I asked about if the caryons were included in that they could not tell me...How much is the extra penalty tax per lb anyway????

lincasanova Mar 7th, 2005 12:56 PM

it is 20 k. per person. and sometimes a kilo or two over is no problem.
lately the carry-ons have been measured and weighed by various airlines.
kind of scarey when you are in line and see it all happening.

my husband and i did a quick re-pack distribution before check in on a low cost carrier after seeing all the control.

it has always been 20 k. here so europeans are used to that limit.

the control on hand luggage has increased recently.