Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   air conditioning in may (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/air-conditioning-in-may-669781/)

caroltis Jan 12th, 2007 03:07 PM

air conditioning in may

We are planning to be in Tuscany for 2 weeks in early May. We're researching farmhouses to rent. Is there a need for air conditioning at that time of year? We're from Texas and it's not unusual for us to be using a/c in May.

JaninLucca Jan 12th, 2007 03:27 PM

I am from the South and very dependent upon air conditioning too. I am always hesitant to rent a vacation apartment or house without a/c despite assurances from the owner or agent that it's unnecessary.

As for early May - that's a very unpredictable time. It's possible for the weather to be cool, breezy and raining when you first arrive and then springtime warm and glorious in your second week. Sorry to not have a definitive answer. However, I think you should prepare for temps as warm as mid 70's and as cool as low to mid 60's.

If you love the house and decide to rent it, make sure the windows have screens. Should you desire to open the windows for some cool night air, there's no need to invite in the bugs. Like the South, Tuscany is known for mosquitoes.

nytraveler Jan 12th, 2007 05:17 PM

Many/most farmhouses in Tuscany will not have AC at all - at any time of the year. And, if by any chance they do it is extremely unlikely it will be on in May. (In europe AC is generally very wimpy - cools a little, doesn;t really chill - and is often controlled by the date, not the temperature).

That said, May in Tuscany is not usually VERY hot - but given our global warming anything is possible.

LoveItaly Jan 12th, 2007 05:37 PM

Hi caroltis, besides the other good comments you have received be aware that it is not typical for windows in Italy to have screens. So if this is a must for you be sure to ask about it before you book your reservations.

Dukey Jan 12th, 2007 09:26 PM

If the humidity is high you'll wish you had it. But I somehow doubt you'll find it absolutely necessary in May...July..that's a whole other matter.

Whether or not the A/C is "adequate" depends entirely on where you stay in Europe in my experience. I've been in plenty of places where the A/C was quite powerful...luck of the draw I guess.

twk Jan 13th, 2007 05:28 AM

A fellow Texan here, and one that uses AC all the time at home. We rented an apartment in Paris in June 2004 with no AC and it worked out fine. There's always a chance that you'll have freakishly warm weather and be uncomfortable, but there's also a chance that it cold be freakishly cold, or that it could be flooding, etc. Unless your lack of heat tolerance is potentially life threatening, you simply have to play the odds, and in May, I would think the odds of having a pleasant experience in a farmhouse with no AC are a lot greater than having an unpleasant one.

ninosgirl Jan 13th, 2007 04:04 PM

We were in Tuscany the last two weeks of May in 2005, staying just south of Siena. The weather was beautiful, warm and sunny, and even at night, no sweater needed (I am usually a very warm person, even in cooler weather). Our apartment had no A/C but did have screens on all the windows. It was very pleasant, and comfortable. No problem sleeping confortably at night. I would definitely look for a place with screens. I know at the time I couldn't seem to find a place with A/C and it turned out that we didn't need it at all. Have a great trip.

vicodarbia Jan 17th, 2007 05:00 AM

If for tuscany, you mean the countryside, I really doubt that you'll need AC. Remember that farmhouses have really thick walls. If it's very sunny during the day, keep the shades close and open everything at night. This is a real "tuscan" tip!!!

Some houses, the ones better organized for rentals do have screens. a good suggestion for a place to stay is an Estate near Siena (they do have screens as well as really wide walls)

e-mail: [email protected]

dorkforcemom Jan 17th, 2007 05:07 AM

Hello fellow Texas - yes, we're snowed in today!

We've traveled to Tuscany for the past 3 years in May - never needed a/c. As a matter of fact, it warm perfect during the day for short sleeves and sweaters in the evening. The weather was glorious! May of 2006 it was unusually cool in the evenings so we built a fire in our apartment. Happy planning!

kerouac Jan 17th, 2007 05:08 AM

Air conditioned farmhouses in Tuscany? No way. Perhaps an air conditioned "former farmhouse".

In an old farmhouse with thick walls, as mentioned above, you are more likely to feel chilly than too warm. Some of those places never warm up even during the summer.

amy_zena Jan 17th, 2007 06:10 AM

There are some air conditioned farmhouses in Tuscany/Umbria, but not many.

Last summer I called and researched loads of agriturismi because I wanted a/c and a pool. The owners of the agriturismi/farmhouses will tell you that you don't need a/c. And they are most probably right, especially if it is way up in the hills. In July, one that is not in the hills has a good chance of being hot, but in May you'll be ok.

Here are 2 places that I was seriously considering that had a/c:

Agriturismo La Colmata - near Arezzo
www.lacolmata.com

Hotel Relais Borgo di Stigliano - near Siena
http://en.venere.com/hotels_sovicill...html?ref=34990

The second one is obviously a hotel and not a farmhouse but it is out in the country and has great reviews on venere.com.

I haven't stayed at either, because we changed our minds at the last minute and went to Provence instead.

caroltis Feb 3rd, 2007 04:21 PM

Thanks to all of you and your wonderful advice! carol