Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   air conditioning in london in june? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/air-conditioning-in-london-in-june-204278/)

pam Apr 23rd, 2002 05:58 AM

air conditioning in london in june?

Have narrowed london hotel choices to two (hotels in London sure are expensive -- especially when you need a quad): The Park International (which has air conditioning) and a two-star B&B, The Falcon, which does not have air conditioning. Will we need A/C in mid-June in London? Since we'll only be in hotel at night, guess that's my concern.<BR>Also, any comments on these hotels?<BR>Thanks,<BR>Pam<BR>

ttt Apr 23rd, 2002 12:02 PM

mpprh Apr 23rd, 2002 12:07 PM

Hi<BR><BR>You won't need ac in June, unless you normally live near the polar circle.<BR><BR>In August London becomes very humid, and this, + pollution, may make ac more beneficial.<BR><BR>Peter<BR><BR><BR>

Lanny Apr 23rd, 2002 12:12 PM

I've been in London many times in June, and have never found a really compelling need for air-conditioning, though it is a nice feature to have. You will find many hotels in London have windows that actually open, which is a refreshing sort of airconditioning from a North American perspective where we are far more used to sealed buildings than they are over there.<BR><BR>This said I make a point of booking hotels with a/c just because it usually means there is some form of climate control/fresh air circulation possible in the room. As you may know, many of the older hotel rooms in London are pokey, small, claustrophobic and airless. I don't know either of the hotels you mention but if the prices are relatively equal, opt for the one with a/c.

Betsy Apr 23rd, 2002 12:18 PM

Sorry to be the contrarian here, but my family and I were in London in late June 2000 in the middle of a severe heat wave. Since we're used to the cool SF Bay area summer weather, we just about melted and were so glad to get on the ferry to Calais! However, I don't think heat in June in London is the norm.

elaine Apr 23rd, 2002 01:17 PM

pam<BR>Everyone can give you a different example, weather is never a sure thing, especially not in London.<BR>One year I was there for Wimbledon in late June. Two days we nearly froze with rain and temps in the 60sF, and then one day it hit 90. I'm sure both extremes are unusual.

Kate Apr 23rd, 2002 01:18 PM

If you elect no AC, which we did and were fine in June, make sure your room is not street-side. With windows open the noise level can be pretty high.

pam Apr 23rd, 2002 02:01 PM

Thanks for the comments. Actually, the hotel with A/C is about $60 a night more expensive. My husband suggests we stay in the cheaper B&B two nights and the hotel with A/C two nights.<BR>Pam<BR>

janis Apr 23rd, 2002 02:26 PM

The heat - if any - is during the daytime and presumably you will be out during the day. Even in a rare heat wave, London is cool in the mornings and at night. So stay in the B&B and splurge the money saved on a great dinner or play.

Bill I Apr 23rd, 2002 03:13 PM

Have been to London a couple of times in mid-June. Both times stayed at a hotel with no A/C (The Hotel Russell). There were days that we wished we had it & days it wasn't a problem. After walking around all day in the sun & getting heated up & sweatty it would have been nice to have air. But we did ask the hotel staff for a fan - which they did supply. That was enough to move the air around especially when having the window open & that worked for us.

ttt Apr 24th, 2002 05:43 AM

topping it