Air Conditioning in London in fall

Old Apr 16th, 2000, 09:44 AM
Carol

Air Conditioning in London in fall

Is it necessary to have air conditioning in hotel rooms in London in late September? I notice many hotels don't seem to have air conditioning. Wondered if there was any chance it would be very warm in London that time of year. Thanks for any information anyone can give me.
Carol

Old Apr 16th, 2000, 10:57 AM
JM

I have been in London several times in September and believe me you do NOT need air conditioning.

Old Apr 16th, 2000, 12:35 PM
Joan Doyle

Dear Carol: The reason why you don't read much about air-conditioned rooms in London hotels is that there is seldom any need for air-conditioning there. I can remember one summer when it was really hot--in July; but most visitors just had to tough it out. No experienced visitor to London would ever say "You'll never need air-conditioning" but the chances that you will in September are too remote to be considered. Just take your lined raincoat and your brolly--and have fun! Joan

Old Apr 16th, 2000, 01:04 PM
Carol

Thanks for the replies. I have lived in South Texas quite a few years now and it's still hot here in late Sept. When you go to London that time of year do you pack with clothes you can layer? Is it most likely it will rain while there?
Carol

Old Apr 16th, 2000, 01:27 PM
Robin

Definitely - layering is the way to go. And particularly if you're coming from South Texas (the valley?) and those 90 degree temps. I live in Dallas, and understand your "heat frame of reference". You should find London a refreshing change after a Texas summer. As the time gets closer to your departure, check to see the temps - or you can pull up weather history from the weather channel and several other websites online.
Can expect to see some wet days; however, you don't get the torrential downpours as one often experiences in Texas. Rather, London can be very "misty" -

Old Apr 16th, 2000, 05:57 PM
pam

Carol
I live in Austin so let me tell you about my first trip to London. It was early June and I wore jeans, a shirt a pullover (acrylic yet) sweater and a rain jacket the whole time. OK, maybe on the day the sun was out I didn't wear the sweater. Given our native climate--I was in satx today--I find myself cold almost anywhere under 70 degrees F. Now the upside is that when its 95 I'm doing ok. ACcording to Fodor's World WEather Guide, the highest ever-recorded temp in London in Sept is 86F, lowest 37F, avg max 65, avg low 52, w/ avg humidity ranging 65-80%.

Old Apr 16th, 2000, 07:08 PM
lynn

Carol -

We were there at the very end of September in '98 and it was very unusually warm. However, even with temps in the 70's, it wasn't really necessary. We would have prefered it, because we like it cool, but it was not an issue.

Don't worry, I wouldn't hesitate to book a room without at the end of Sept.

Good Luck.

Old Apr 17th, 2000, 07:09 AM
David White

Carol,

I have a different opinion on air-conditioning in London hotels: if you can find it, get it. Its not that London is that hot--it usually isn't and in late September, it probably won't be. But London can be noisy. If you have to open your hotel window at night because it is warm or stuffy, the street noise can be a problem. That's the reason I recommend AC.

Enjoy your trip!

David White
www.KidsToLondon.com

Old Apr 17th, 2000, 08:19 AM
Carol

Thanks for all the responses. One thing I have found with A/C in Spain and Greece (where we had it in hotel rooms) is that it doesn't work very well and we were there when it was quite hot so we wound up opening the windows anyhow. I'm going to be taking a Delta Vacations and they offer certain hotels. I need to use up a travel voucher by Oct so by going this route, I'm limited to hotels in my price range offered by Delta. One of them is the Phoenix and I believe it doesn't have A/C.
Carol

Old Apr 20th, 2000, 08:15 AM
jane

Carol---I was in London in mid September a number of years ago. the one thing I wish I had taken was a raincoat with a zip out liner---for cooler evenings.

Old Apr 20th, 2000, 11:16 AM
Glenn

We live in Louisiana and for 15 years before that in Florida. We were in London two years ago, arriving on 25 September. Temperature was in the high 70's but our hotel room was in the 90's! Even with the window open, the air didn't move! Even blocking the door open wouldn't create a cross ventilation. Since then we have always traveled in Europe with a small fan that we can pack. Moving air makes all the difference. By the way, just because the hotel is air conditioned doesn't mean it's available. In February, in Torremolinos Spain at our air conditioned hotel, when it got warm in the afternoons the thermostat didn't do anything: management had not yet determined that air conditioning was needed to the system was not turned on!

Old Apr 20th, 2000, 12:01 PM
pj

You might want to pack light gloves. Nothing worse than cold hands while walking around in damp weather. A scarf (something between winter wool and summer flimsy) will come in handy, too.