Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Air conditioning in June? - Lodging in Vevey

Sep 5th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Can anyone recommend a hotel with air conditioning in either Montreux or Vevey?

Also, can anyone comment on how hot it can get in late May on Lake Geneva?

Details:
I would prefer to make either Vevey or Montreux my home base for about 5 days the last week of May or the first week of June.

I don't tolerate heat and so as a precaustion I would prefer a hotel with air conditioning. I have found only a handful of hotels that offer a/c in rooms. One is the Astra Pavillon - I think it was formerly called Premier Pavillon.

Any feedback on this hotel is also appreciated.
Sep 5th, 2007, 02:04 PM

hi, europe,

you'll have more luck in Montreux than vevey IMO - though you might well get away without it in Vevey as it is right by the lake.

it can get quite hot in late May on lake geneva, but there is the chance of cooling breezes by the water.

regards, ann
Sep 13th, 2007, 03:37 AM

Hi europeanytime,

I just came back from my latest trip to the Lake Geneva area, this time three weeks at the lake. While I've had really hot summers there, this "summer" has been very cool -- sweater/jacket weather every day.

Anyway, the Pavillon in Vevey is an eyesore from the outside -- a modern monstrosity in the middle of a cozy corner of older buildings. It's just across the street from the train station.

But if a/c is important to you, take it! I don't know of ANY hotels in the area that offer a/c.

Good luck!

s
Sep 13th, 2007, 03:54 AM

In view of this year's weather, you may wish to look for a working fireplace.
Sep 13th, 2007, 04:11 AM

I was in Lausanne mid August this year. It was wonderfully warm during the day but not boiling hot. The evening was cool and air-conditioning would never have entered our minds.

There are very few nights a year that require air-conditioning in Switzerland, which is one reason why hotels won't put them in.

Talk to most Swiss and they'll shake their heads at the thought of air-conditioning in Switzerland.
Sep 13th, 2007, 10:24 AM

There are definitely hotels in Montreux that offer AC. I stayed in one this summer, the Suisse Majestic across from the train station. The AC worked fine, but I was there at the end of July. I mainly used it so I could close the French doors on my balcony to shut out noise. I wouldn't have probably needed it otherwise. I think even then, I had the doors closed a couple nights and didn't turn the AC on.

The hotel wasn't cheap, hotels in MOntreux are not, but it was nice enough for me.
Sep 13th, 2007, 12:39 PM

I've only experienced a heatwave in that area later in the summer, like July or August (and not every year).

You may need to raise your budget to find a place with air-con as it is not all that commonly used.