Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Air conditioned hotel necessary for mid-June in Lake Como?

Sep 7th, 2001, 01:28 PM
beverlyd

We're planning to visit Bellagio next June and want to know whether we need to factor air conditioning into our hotel decision. I would guess no since we'll be close to the water. I was in Milan in May and it was unbearably humid - just want to make sure that the Lake area doesn't get similar humidity. Anyone?

Sep 7th, 2001, 01:29 PM
beverlyd

Correction...that title should read AT Lake Como

Sep 7th, 2001, 01:44 PM
micia

there is more humidity on the lakes that anywhere else.
You should see the inside of many homes around them.
If you thought Milan was hot, then I say you would be best to factor AC in.
My mom was here in June and it was horrible.
I didn't want to take her around to see anything due to the heat.

Sep 7th, 2001, 02:29 PM
beverlyd

Thanks very much Micia. I was hoping that wasn't the case because I could have chosen from more reasonable hotels-but if it's likely to be hot and sticky we'll spring for the extra $$$ so we can sleep comfortably.

Sep 7th, 2001, 02:36 PM
mary

We spent this June in Bellagio and Como. The weather was cool and rainy!! We stayed at the Hotel Florence which had AC--however there was no need for it. The area is beautiful even in the rain and fog! - We hope to go back someday so we can appreciate the scenery.

Ciao
Mary

Sep 7th, 2001, 03:38 PM
beverlyd

Mary, thanks and I didn't realize Hotel Florence had air conditioning. Do you know if all the rooms had it? - I don't remember seeing it listed as an amenity on the web site. I was thinking the only 3 star that had air was the Du Lac. That would increase my options a bit.

Sep 7th, 2001, 05:44 PM
Denise

Sorry, I didn't see this post and I just posted the same question. As far as the Hotel Florence goes, they just emailed me that they don't have air conditioning.
I am confused???

Denise

Sep 8th, 2001, 02:02 AM
micia

Beverly,

So sorry I gave you the wrong info for June. I was tired and confused with the visit of my mother-in-law (July).
June was actually nice. I wouldn't think you really need a place with AC.
We had some rather cool days that I had to get out some warmer clothes for my mom as I had told her to only bring summer things.
The evenings will be cool and you may need a sweater. We went out to eat several nights and it was rather chilly.
If you find a reasonable hotel with AC, I would take it.
You can never be sure when we have hot weather or not.
We had some really warm days in May that made us thing that the rest of the summer would stay warm.
When we had those cooler days in June it was a surprise.
If you said you would be here in July or August, I would definetly say get it,
Just not to risk. I saw someone here on another post that said August was ok with no AC. I really disagree, it was hot. We had a long summer this year. We can usually expect the rain to start the middle of August and cool things off, but we didn't get rain till the end. When it is so hot and humid those two weeks seem like forever.

Sep 8th, 2001, 06:53 AM
beverlyd

Micia thanks for taking the time to add to your earlier post. The problem is that even the 3 star hotels don't have air in the standard rooms...you have to pay extra for superior rooms to get air conditioning which boosts the price up around L400,000 per night. I'm sure we won't spend all that much time in our room during the day but I'm more concerned about being able to sleep at night. Sounds like we would probably be Ok but we may do the upgrade just to be safe. Thanks again for your input.
Bev

Sep 8th, 2001, 12:58 PM
micia

Beverly,

If it helps any to know, we slept in comfort till around the middle of July (or maybe till the end of July).
I have a/c in my home and try not to use it till it is really really hot. I did not turn it on till August.

Sep 10th, 2001, 09:58 AM
GAC

Beverly, if there is a heat waive on the Lake next June (which sometimes happens), you will sorely miss air conditioning. A hotel with A/C is your insurance policy that you won't have a sticky and uncomfortable night. How much are you willing to pay for insurance? I know that in Bellagio, most of the properties don't have A/C, except for the Villa Serbelloni, the Florence and the Du Lac. Maybe the latter two would permit you to upgrade in case of hot weather (depending upon availability!!!!!!!!)

Sep 10th, 2001, 12:50 PM
GAC

Beverly, you can get an air conditioned room at the gorgeous superior four-star Grand Hotel Victoria in Menaggio (across the lake from Bellagio) for Lire 330,000 per night, bed and breakfast. For an additional Lire 30,000, you can upgrade to a full lake view. Pretty good value all things considered. I stayed there in July and a colleague of mine in August, and we both highly recommend the property. So does Frommer's Guide. In Bellagio, you're paying for name recognition, but the lake views are only marginally better than in Menaggio. You can reach Bellagio by boat in 15 minutes from Menaggio. Something to consider!

Sep 10th, 2001, 04:15 PM
beverlyd

GAC,

Yes I think we've decided that coughing up the extra dough for A/C will be worth it. I need my beauty rest or my husband will have a real crank on his hands.

Appreciate the Grand Hotel Victoria suggestion. I'd looked up the website before based on several positive posts I saw here. It does look like a lovely hotel and probably a better value than the ones in Bellagio. If I was going to be at Lake Como longer I'd probably consider it, but with only 2 nights I'm trying to stay as central as possible.

Then again, we're still deciding whether to rent a car and drive up from Malpensa or do public transport. If we rent a car, Menaggio may make better sense since I've seen here that it's easier driving up on that western side. So many decisions....but for me it's all part of the fun. Thanks again for your help! Bev

Sep 12th, 2001, 12:52 PM
GAC

Beverly: in case you decide on using public transportation, you may want to take note of the excellent direct bus service (air conditioned, reclining seats) from Malpensa to the City of Como in one hour (six per day Monday thru Saturday, only two on Sundays, Lire 21,000 one way), with easy connections to Bellagio and Menaggio. One daily bus even goes directly on to Menaggio (two hours), without changing in Como. Full schedules can be found at website: www.sptcomo.it