Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Air Canada to Italy with Infant - Any Insights? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/air-canada-to-italy-with-infant-any-insights-594759/)

kellbell Feb 27th, 2006 10:03 AM

Air Canada to Italy with Infant - Any Insights?

Just booked a flight to Rome on Air Canada. I've never flown with them before and this is my first international flight with our 10 month old son. How does Air Canada do on overseas flights and are they an "infant-friendly" airline from your experience?

Thanks!

-Kellie

DeborahAnn Feb 27th, 2006 01:37 PM

kelbell,What city are you flying from and are you going through Toronto?

We flew Air Canada for the first time from BWI in November to Rome. I would not call it infant friendly any more than any other airline if you are flying economy class. They were very strict about the amount you could carry on but that may have been because it was a full flight.

Air Canada shares counter space in Rome with about 10 other airlines and the lines were extremely long. Also there were some nasty snafus upon arrival in Toronto, luckily we had lots of time between flights but others did not and there were many disgruntled travelers, several with babies in strollers. I would guess they would have said Air Canada is not infant friendly;;)

I would fly Air Canada again if the price was right. I don't think you will have any problems. Good luck, Deborah

wombat7 Feb 27th, 2006 01:44 PM

Echo DeborahAnn's comments on Rome check-in. Even the business class is a zoo.

Try and get a seat selection before hand - at least that way there is less stress at the check-in.

AC has tightened up on carryon - see their website for details. If your carry on is over weight they will ask you to either take out items or check-it.

kellbell Feb 27th, 2006 06:38 PM

DeborahAnn. . . flying from Cleveland and yes, going through Toronto. We have about a 2 hour layover in Toronto before we take off for Rome. Good to know about the long lines in Rome at their ticket counter. We leave at 12:40 am from Rome to Toronto, so we'll plan to get there early.

Hopefully I can master the art of packing light. We are meeting up with family at a villa in Tuscany, so I'm thinking we'll have access to a washer/dryer and won't need to go overboard on clothes, etc.

I'll try to confirm seat selection! Thanks for the advice! Cannot wait to be back in Italy!

-Kellie

DeborahAnn Feb 27th, 2006 07:45 PM

kellbell, you shouldn't have any problems going out through Toronto, our problems were coming back. Hopefully it was just an infrequent bad day for the customs and immigration because that was where all the problems occurred.

Just a side note;the food served at dinner flying to Rome was delicious (honestly) so I was amazed that returning to Toronto from Italy we were served MICROWAVED CHEESE PIZZA. It tasted like soggy cardboard ;;)What were they thinking??? After all the great pizza we had been eating what Air Canada offerred to us was not edible in comparison Hopefully your plane will have enough empty seats to give you a little extra space. I think they only have one flight a day to and from Rome.

Be sure to check back with them periodically before your flight. Air Canada eliminated our return flight so we had to change our return day. I hope they don't do that to often. Have a great trip. Deborah

wombat7 Feb 28th, 2006 10:08 AM

KB Have flown out of Rome three times on AC and check-in was same on all threee occassions - not an AC thing more a Rome airport thing - or rather the fact that AC shares check-in with many other airlines

Two hours in TO should be fine - I think you will have to clear customs in TO and change terminals. The AC flight will go out of terminal 1 - Depending on who you are flying you will liekly arrive at T2 or T3. If you do have to clear customs I think this will also mean that you cannot check your luggage all the through. Not 100% sure but just going on flying in from NY to TO.

Carolina Feb 28th, 2006 03:11 PM

I flew with Air Canada a lot when my children were small and never had any real problems. As with any airline, some staff members are nicer than others. I would phone the airline and see if they can give you bulkhead seats. Even though your infant will be too big for a bassinet (I think), it is nice to have a bit of extra room.
Secondly, I would advise you to take twice as many diapers and baby food / formula as you think you will need. That way you are prepared for unforeseen delays etc.
Good luck
Carolena

h0b0 Feb 28th, 2006 03:19 PM

Bring a change of clothes for baby.... AND you. : / Otherwise, travel as light as possible - too much to carry makes everything harder!