Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Air Alitalia luggage (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/air-alitalia-luggage-343172/)

POWERPUFF71 Jul 31st, 2003 09:40 AM

Air Alitalia luggage

Has any traveled to Sicily with a connection in Rome on Air Alitalia recently? I am curious as to the luggage restrictions on the international flight. I have come to understand there is a carry on ONE bag maxium for each person. Does that include a back-pack or purse? Also what about a camcorder or camera case?? HELP!!

susjc Jul 31st, 2003 10:09 AM

I would call the airline - I had the same question for my upcoming flight from London to Rome so I called Alitalia. They said that this is considered a "domestic flight" and the carry on limit was 20 kg. The Alitalia website says 8 kg so I'm not sure who is right. I guess the worst thing that could happen is they would make you check your luggage. You could always stick your purse into your carry-on if they give you trouble about it.

Intrepid Jul 31st, 2003 11:55 AM

I would check with the airline as mentioned above. Generally speaking, checked luggage that travels through from an international flight to a domestic destination does so under the "weight rule" i.e., no more than 70# and no more than two pieces. Carry-ons may be different. Again, check with the airline or you run the risk of getting very honest opinions here that the airline couldn't care less about.

Parker Jul 31st, 2003 01:23 PM

My husband and I had connections on Air Alitalia in June from Milan to Rome and from Naples to Rome. We each carried two items on both flights. Our carryon bags were quite large on the Naples to Rome leg as we were at the end of our trip and had LOTS of goodies with us to take home. No one gave us a second glance.

sarah29 Jul 31st, 2003 11:01 PM

I traveled to Sicily last year on an Alitalia flight from New York with a large carry-on & my purse. Their restrictions were one carry-on bag with very small dimensions (i don't remember the measurements, but they were quite small) & one personal item such as a purse. I noticed their policy was very relaxed on the flight from Rome to Sicily since most people had larger items than their specified requirements. You should be able to take your carry-on & backpack or camcorder case on the plane with no problems.

POWERPUFF71 Aug 1st, 2003 06:00 AM

I was hoping to take a small suitcase (cause it has wheels) on the plane with me. I figured I could put my camera, camcorder,a change of clothes, what ever I am reading etc. besides I need room for "goodies" on the way back. The measurements on the website are in cm but I do think my suitcase meets the criteria. I will try and give them a call thou. Thanks to all

judyrose Aug 1st, 2003 10:19 AM

We went from Rome to Catania and had no problems with luggage. I took a purse and a carry on with wheels( which is the maximum allowed in the US for carry ons)We each checked a large suitcase. Bring a fold up type of suitcase for bringing home goodies and pack it in your big suitcase.