Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Agriturismo - Tuscany - Pienza Area / Modena Recs (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/agriturismo-tuscany-pienza-area-modena-recs-1672757/)

WorminRome Oct 11th, 2019 05:42 AM

Agriturismo - Tuscany - Pienza Area / Modena Recs

Hello All,

I am looking for recommendations for an agriturismo in the Pienza area of Tuscany. A year ago we spent time at Fonte Bertusi and loved it, but would like to stay on an active farm/vineyard/dairy/etc. Any recommendation would be appreciated.

Additionally, we will be spending some time in Modena and are looking for recommendations for a four day stay.

We will have a car in both locations.

Thank you!

enewell Oct 11th, 2019 06:14 AM

I'd recommend Cretaiole. We stayed there several times, and loved it.

northfork280 Oct 11th, 2019 09:16 AM

We stayed at Agriturismo Podere Spedalone this past April.

Here is what I wrote about it in my trip report: The selection of where to stay in the valley, though, was daunting. There were so many places with fantastic reviews and Fonte Bertusi, particularly based on reviews from this forum, was one of the top contenders. Ultimately, though, I chose Podere Spedalone because I wanted the true farm experience and wanted the ability to dine on premises as often as we wanted for dinner. The Trip Advisor reviews did not disappoint and I can’t say enough wonderful things about this place. We were welcomed by Alessandro like we were family and were treated that way throughout our stay. Each night, aperitivo hour starts at 7:30 with prosecco and still wines offered with a selection of small bites. One night, Alessandro freshly sliced his own prosciutto, on another night it was homemade pizza. Following aperitivo hour, everyone gathers in the dining room (or under the terrace, depending on the weather) and enjoys a four course meal at communal tables. The food was outstanding, featuring homemade pastas, roast pork, venison, and much more. The meals were different each night and were always followed by dessert and then an offering of limoncello, grappa, or homemade brandy. Breakfasts were similarly wonderful and kept us well satisfied until lunch rolled around. The communal atmosphere at meal time gave us the chance to talk to people from all over the world and to share travel tips. We met Alessandro’s livestock, including a pig named Rocco and a cow named Brunella, and marveled at his vegetable garden. The rooms at Podere Spedalone are comfortable and well-appointed. I could have happily stayed here for a month and hope to return when I’m next back in Tuscany. A returning guest to Spedalone who runs retreats there several times a year said it best: there are other places in Tuscany that are more luxurious than Spedalone and others that are more historic, but nowhere are you treated the way you are at Spedalone.

JeanneB Oct 12th, 2019 12:45 PM

Take a look at La Fonte: Home - Agriturismo La Fonte a Pienza. When we stayed several years ago it was definitely a working farm. We went to sleep at night to the sound of Papa's WWII-era tractor still working the fields. Roosters woke us in the morning. There were goats and ducks and chickens. We loved it!

WorminRome Oct 13th, 2019 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by JeanneB (Post 16999756)
Take a look at La Fonte: Home - Agriturismo La Fonte a Pienza. When we stayed several years ago it was definitely a working farm. We went to sleep at night to the sound of Papa's WWII-era tractor still working the fields. Roosters woke us in the morning. There were goats and ducks and chickens. We loved it!

We have eaten those ducks and chickens! Don’t forget about the incredible brewery as well! We will take a look at the rooms. Thank you.

WorminRome Oct 13th, 2019 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by northfork280 (Post 16999173)
We stayed at Agriturismo Podere Spedalone this past April.

Here is what I wrote about it in my trip report: The selection of where to stay in the valley, though, was daunting. There were so many places with fantastic reviews and Fonte Bertusi, particularly based on reviews from this forum, was one of the top contenders. Ultimately, though, I chose Podere Spedalone because I wanted the true farm experience and wanted the ability to dine on premises as often as we wanted for dinner. The Trip Advisor reviews did not disappoint and I can’t say enough wonderful things about this place. We were welcomed by Alessandro like we were family and were treated that way throughout our stay. Each night, aperitivo hour starts at 7:30 with prosecco and still wines offered with a selection of small bites. One night, Alessandro freshly sliced his own prosciutto, on another night it was homemade pizza. Following aperitivo hour, everyone gathers in the dining room (or under the terrace, depending on the weather) and enjoys a four course meal at communal tables. The food was outstanding, featuring homemade pastas, roast pork, venison, and much more. The meals were different each night and were always followed by dessert and then an offering of limoncello, grappa, or homemade brandy. Breakfasts were similarly wonderful and kept us well satisfied until lunch rolled around. The communal atmosphere at meal time gave us the chance to talk to people from all over the world and to share travel tips. We met Alessandro’s livestock, including a pig named Rocco and a cow named Brunella, and marveled at his vegetable garden. The rooms at Podere Spedalone are comfortable and well-appointed. I could have happily stayed here for a month and hope to return when I’m next back in Tuscany. A returning guest to Spedalone who runs retreats there several times a year said it best: there are other places in Tuscany that are more luxurious than Spedalone and others that are more historic, but nowhere are you treated the way you are at Spedalone.

This sounds wonderful. Thank you! Do you have to pick a rate with or without a meal? I ask as we love to cook when we travel.

StuDudley Oct 13th, 2019 10:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
We've driven by Agriturismo il Rigio dozens of times. It is also a cooking school. There is info in my Italy itinerary (attached) about it, and also about the lovely Val d'Orcia.

Stu Dudley

patandhank Oct 13th, 2019 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by StuDudley (Post 17000084)
We've driven by Agriturismo il Rigio dozens of times. It is also a cooking school. There is info in my Italy itinerary (attached) about it, and also about the lovely Val d'Orcia.

Stu Dudley

We stayed at Il Rigo and absolutely loved it! Highly recommend it.

northfork280 Oct 14th, 2019 08:28 AM

The rate includes daily breakfast and dinner, so perhaps not the best choice if you’re looking for a place where you can cook.

weekend_celebrations Oct 17th, 2019 09:47 PM

StuDudley I read through your notes, what a valuable collection of thoughts and useful info (what a fab travel life!)! Thank you! I have just picked Val D'Orcia for 3-day stay on my trip next summer (was choosing between lower and upper Tuscany) and your notes confirmed that it was the right choice). I will definitely follow some of your scenic drives! Would love to stop at the farm to0 and maybe get an olive oil tasting?- will give your notes another read to see if there is a mention of such farm. (on a side note -I will be working in several stops at local termal spas-will be challenging to make a logical itinerary out of all these choices but luckily I enjoy this part of travel greatly). Another side note (might start a separate thread but might just read your notes again)- as we drive to Pienze from Rome, I am considering a lunch+stop in Orvieto...hope the road does not get too hair pinny as we don't like driving such roads)) will also have to consider how much time we want to spend in Orvieto vs all our Tuscany plans. Thanks again!

AustinTraveler Oct 18th, 2019 09:17 AM

We were also lucky enough to get Stu's notes and his recommendation for a Rome restaurant, Passetto, was perfect. Best meal of our trip. We stayed at Fonte Bertusi and loved it. We also visited nearby Podere Il Casale, which has a restaurant and organic farm. You can do olive oil tasting there as well as other activities. Their oils and wines were delicious.

weekend_celebrations Oct 18th, 2019 09:44 AM

Thank you Austin! great suggestion!

WorminRome Oct 19th, 2019 11:02 AM

Thank you for all the suggestions.

northfork280 Oct 21st, 2019 05:30 AM

Another vote for Podere Il Casale - we visited and did the cheese tour which was excellent.

WorminRome Oct 22nd, 2019 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by northfork280 (Post 17003836)
Another vote for Podere Il Casale - we visited and did the cheese tour which was excellent.

I believe we visited the farm/animals there with our children which was free. We did not have time for the cheese. We did however love the Pecorino di Pienza at Caseficio Cugusi