Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

agriturismo in Tuscany with pool in August

Jun 1st, 2007, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

I've gone through the agriturismo website, I've scrolled through past messages here, and I'm going absolutely crazy.

I would like to stay 3 nights near Montalcino or Montepulciano, then 3 nights near Greve in Chianti.

I would like to find something with a pool, that is under 200 dollars a night, but everything I've looked at wants a one week commitment (la crociona, sant antonio).

Anyone know of places that will rent on a daily basis in August (that has a pool)?
Jun 1st, 2007, 07:40 AM

This one's in Regello, but it's a delightful place:

http://www.agriturismo-italia.net/ag...toscana_en.php
Jun 1st, 2007, 07:58 AM

Fattoria Il Colombaio has a pool, but it's just outside Monteriggioni.
Check it out anyway: http://www.fattoriailcolombaio.com/
Jun 1st, 2007, 08:07 AM

Hi Monica,

In September 2005, we stayed at a place called Molino Di Quercegrossa, which is between Siena and Greve on the 222 (or Karen Valentine Highway, as we called it). It has six or seven pools.

Search We Didn't Drink All the Vino on Fodors. There is a recent post that has my blog web site on there (I'd put it up, but for some reason this site isn't letting me do that right now).

The place now has a website (Google the name Molino Di Quercegrossa, and it will be the one on top). I think I was told that rooms are now about 80 - 100 euro a night.

The pools were free when we visited in September, but they are a public complex, so I think there would be a nominal charge in August, but since the rooms are cheap, who cares?

Still, it was a good deal. Rooms are very small, but clean (this is not your villa-type place (except for the pool complex. There is a nice restaurant on the premises. If you are not looking for glitz or the Ritz, this might solve your problem (hotel website below...in Italiano, but there is phone and fax numbers). Have fun!

Jun 1st, 2007, 08:16 AM

We really enjoyed www.tenutaquadrifoglio.it ,outside of San Gimignano though.

Two pools, vineyard, gorgeous. We paid about E80 for a double a few years ago.
Jun 1st, 2007, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

I clicked on the tenuta website. I remember I had to cross them off because they didn't do daily stays for August.
Jun 1st, 2007, 10:19 AM
jgg

Last summer we stayed at Fattoria Tregole (www.fattoria-tregole.com) near Castellina in Chianti (close to Greve). We enjoyed our stay there with a nice pool, great breakfasts and gracious hosts. I am quite certain they do not require a week stay (we stayed for 5 nights).
Jun 1st, 2007, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

To Jgg:
Just looked at the Fattoria Tregole website. Looks beautiful, but out of my price range at 250 euros per night for 4 people.
Jun 1st, 2007, 10:35 AM
jgg

Sorry Monica, I didn't realize there were 4 of you - thought you could have one of the suites, although I must say we stayed in one of the apts. and they were very nice - tons of room!
Jun 1st, 2007, 10:39 AM

We stayed at Fattoria Montelucci http://www.montelucci.com/ 2 years ago for 98€. It's a beutiful property and horse farm, and the restaurant on the premises is great. You travel down a long dirt road to arrive though.
Jun 1st, 2007, 12:01 PM

We literally just returned from such a trip (Came home on Sunday). You must check out the 2 places we stayed in. 1st place was Colle Lungo, just outside of Castellina in Chianti, and very close to all the other Chianti towns. Gorgeous property, with pool and all the amenities. They are right in a vinyard where they make fabulous Chianti Classico. We stayed 3 nights for approx. 130E/night. www.collelungo.com
2nd place was also a real find...Fonte Bertusi just outside of Pienza..perfect really as it is just between Montalcino and Montepulciano. Most amazing property and hosts were fantastic as well. Very comfortable..Highly highly recommend it. also about 130E/night. we were there 5 nights. Good luck. http://www.fontebertusi.it/
Jun 1st, 2007, 12:34 PM

ttt
Jun 6th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, elamurr, both those places look great. I'll email the owners and see what they can do for the 4 of us.
Jun 7th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Well, fonterbertusi is full, and collelungo is 250 euros a night for the 4 of us.

I'm looking at vicchiomaggia outside Greve,www.vicchiomaggio.it. It's gotten great reviews on tripadvisor. Anyone has any personal experience with this place?

In Pienza, I'm considering San Gregorio, http://www.sangregorioresidencehotel.it, I believe someone named KAL on this forum had recommended it. It's not an agriturismo, but it's just outside the town, and has a small pool. Anyone else stayed there?
Jun 7th, 2007, 10:09 AM

we stayed at la crociona just outside montalcino last August. They did less than a week's stay for us; 1 and 2 bedroom apartments, nice pool, great host, restaurant on site but not affiliated. outstanding VINO!!!! check their website for more info. we loved it.
Jun 7th, 2007, 10:19 AM

For rentals always start at www.slowtrav.com and read their reviews. I would stay at one place for 6 nites and expand my options.
Jun 10th, 2007, 08:48 AM

cmeyer54 said:
"we stayed at la crociona just outside montalcino last August. They did less than a week's stay for us; 1 and 2 bedroom apartments, nice pool, great host, restaurant on site but not affiliated. outstanding VINO!!!! check their website for more info. we loved it."

We stayed at La Crociona in May 2006 and also loved it. The restaurant down the road was so convenient, I think we ate there three times during our week's stay.

Although we stayed a week, I think there were others who were there a shorter time, so it's worth a try. We were there in May, though, not August, so that may make a difference.
Jun 11th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

I tried to ask about less than a one-week stay, twice, at la crociona. Was turned down both times.
Jun 12th, 2007, 03:11 PM

We're heading to Italy on Friday (can't wait) and will be spending a week at Antico Borgo di Sugame, near Greve. (http://www.borgo-di-sugame.com/index.htm) Though they normally rent by the week, email Catrina (English-speaking, has been very helpful so far via email) and ask. They might be able to make something happen. I'll know more about the place at the end of the month, but the photos and info sure look good...

Also, though it's secondhand, our friends took a wine tour at Vignamaggio www.vignamaggio.com and loved it--not sure if that would then translate to wanting to stay there, though.

Both have pools, by the way
Jun 15th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for their help.

We decided to stay in Montepulciano itself for the 3 nights (gave up on finding agriturismo for less than a one week stay). Here's where we're staying: http://www.politian.com/index.htm.

And we did decide on Castello Vicchiomaggio for Greve in Chianti. It has a pool, hurrah! (the only pool accomodation on the trip.)www.vicchiomaggio.it.

I had looked at each one of the places people had recommended, but either it wasn't in the right location, was too expensive for accomodations for 4, or needed a one week stay.
At last, the decisions have been made. That is such a huge feeling of relief.

A BIG thank you to everyone for their help!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO