Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Agrigento vs. Piazza Armerina (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/agrigento-vs-piazza-armerina-836735/)

EdEdwards Apr 21st, 2010 03:27 PM

Agrigento vs. Piazza Armerina

We'll be driving from Siracusa to Palermo, on a too quick trip to Sicily in August. We would like to reserve 2 full days in Palermo prior to our return to the States, but we would have a full day for the drive to Palermo.

I've read about both Agrigento and the mosaics at Piazza Armerina. We obviously couldn't do justice to both places within one day, and won't be able to spend the night en route if we want to get to Palermo. So, I'm wondering which should be our higher priority for a several hour mid-day visit. I imagine it will be hot, either place -- but I'm really interested in which site is more interesting and/or unique. We're interested both in art and archeology, or I wouldn't be asking.... Thanks very much.

mamcalice Apr 21st, 2010 05:29 PM

We visited both places on our trip to Sicily. I really can't advise you on which to see - both are wonderful. I guess maybe Agrigento if you have to choose. Don't miss Monreale while you are in Palermo. It was more interesting and special than either Agrigento or Piazza Armerina to me.

KayF Apr 21st, 2010 10:34 PM

We visited both these sights on a long one day bus tour from Taormina. I found Agrigento a bit tedious but it may have been the guide who droned on a bit. By the time we got to Piazza Armerina we had little time left and I could have spent all day there. But I do love mosaics and found it absolutely fascinating. I think it really depends on your interests - mosaics or ruins.

Kay

Zerlina Apr 22nd, 2010 03:52 AM

Before you decide, check on the status of the Villa Romana del Casale in Piazza Armerina. It's undergoing restoration and has been for some time, with limited viewing and sometimes limited hours.

Until May 31, it's open every day from 9 am to 6 pm, BUT at a reduced price (indicating reduced viewing) AND with visiting routes "as restoration works allow."

GaryCA Apr 22nd, 2010 06:00 AM

As spectacular as the ruins at Agrigento are, there are temple ruins in a lot of places (I enjoyed Selinunte more), but you won't find many places like Piazza Armerina. I wouldn't pass that up if you have to make a choice.

Palenque Apr 22nd, 2010 06:04 AM

Only been to Agrigento and i was awed by the groupings of Greek temples - one of the most evocative places i've been to and the town is OK too.

valtor Apr 22nd, 2010 06:29 AM

I loved both, but for me, Piazza Aremrina is unique! Never saw so many beautiful and interesting mosaics in one place! Even under restauration of the place, you will see a lot.

kja Apr 22nd, 2010 07:07 AM

The good news is that both are amazing, so either choice is a good one. As you note, the weather could be very hot, and that might be more of an issue for the Villa Romana del Casale, which is enclosed in glass (sort of like a greenhouse) and so can get brutally, swelteringly hot. Also, as Zerlina noted, access to it could be limited because of ongoing renovations. Whichever place you choose, take lots of water. And as mamcalice said, don't miss Monreale when you reach Palermo!