Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Agrigento--Valley of the Temples??? Can I fit it in?

Agrigento--Valley of the Temples??? Can I fit it in?

Mar 14th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Agrigento--Valley of the Temples??? Can I fit it in?

Hello

I will be heading to Sicily (travelling solo) May 20-27 and am trying to decide on my itinerary---have read a bit about the Valley of the Temples & it seems that this is a "can't miss"...I have a couple questions in order to try to see if I can fit it in w/ such a short time in Sicily...

I would be travelling there from Palermo (w/ my luggage) is there a place to store luggage for the day? Is it better to travel from Palermo by bus or train? My next stop is then Catania---what is the best way to get to Catania from Agrigento?

Will the temples be lit up at night despite the fact that they do not start the night tours until July? If so, can they be viewed from afar? Also in contention is travelling from Palermo to Agrigento later on in the day & spending the night in Agrigento...If I would do that, is there lodging that has a view of the illuminated temples? Please note that I would have to leave late morning to go to Catania as I have to be in Catania to pick up a tour (15:00) of Mt. Etna...decisions...decisions...

or...do I just skip the Valley of the Temples & visit Segesta instead...I am already planning on a day trip from Palermo to visit Erice and could easily incorporate Segesta...

Thanks in advance for your help
Mar 14th, 2009, 12:45 PM

I have no answers for some of your questions but I can tell you that the Temples were lit at night when I visited in early May of 2005. We could see them from our room at the Colleverde Park Hotel:

http://www.colleverdehotel.it/
Mar 14th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info & hotel link

Anyone else able to weigh in on some of the other ?'s

Search this Thread