Agenda looking for helpful info

May 9th, 2007, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Agenda looking for helpful info

Here is our final Italy Agenda. My husband and I are from Boston and heading to Italy for our first time. We have a jammed pack trip, but wanted to get a taste of it all. Traveling end of May beginning of June.
Flying into Venice and staying for 3 nights at the Carlton Grand Canal. Train from Venice to Florence. Florence for 2 nights at Hotel Cavour. Train from Florence to Rome. Rome for 4 nights at Visconti Palace. Renting a car and heading down to Amalfi Coast. Staying here for 4 nights at Grand Excelsior.
Looking for advice and any MUST DO favorites (restaurants etc).
Thanks
May 9th, 2007, 07:57 AM
ira

Hi M,

One of your evenings in Florence, take the no.7 bus up to Fiesole (1E, 0:20 hr from SMN station) and watch the sunst over the city from the terrace of the Bar Bleu.

In Venice, take a vaporetto along the Grand Canal at sunset. Get up very early and go to the fish market at the Rialto and watch them set up.

Enjoy your visit.
May 9th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! I marked this down
May 9th, 2007, 01:07 PM

hi, myshell,

in Rome, go to trastevere and visit st, cecilia's church - pay your 3E to go into the crypt, walk right to teh end past the excavations, and enjoy the mosaics - all the better for being so unexpected.

in florence, go to fiesole as Ira says,[search for the recent thread on this and read my potted guide]

in Venice, get up early and go to the market, then after breakfast, go to the scuola de san rocco and see the tinterettos.

have a great time,

regards, ann
May 9th, 2007, 04:37 PM

If you want, I put together 3 mp3 itineraries for Rome. Actually there will be 5 but I haven't gotten around to doing the last 2.

You can download them, for free, from this link...

http://www.skooltek.org/trips/rome/RomeMP3files.htm

dave
May 9th, 2007, 04:51 PM

Your itinerary is busy but not nearly as jammed pack as some I've seen! A couple of my favorites in Rome:

Santa Maria della Vittorio to see Bernini's Ecstasy of St. Theresa. Not only a wonderful sculpture, but the church itself is amazing, lots of gold and cherubs and angels.

If you're going to Santa Maria Maggiore, only a block away is San Prassede, with gorgeous mosaics.

After dinner, go to one of the cafes on the Piazza Navona, order a Limoncello or other drink of your choice, and enjoy watching the fountains, people, artists & performers.

These are just a couple of many wonderful things. Can you tell I love Rome?
May 9th, 2007, 04:57 PM

We did your trip in reverse last October (except for Amalfi) & used the trains-book 1st class-it is worth the money for the reserved seats.MUST SEES:
Rome: San Clemente church, Vatican & Borghese Museums, the Caravaggios at Popolo & San Luigi
Florence: Bargello, Santa Croce,Bapistery;Il Latini,Lo Scudo & Perseus restaurants
Venice:#1 or 82 vaporetto, Frari & San Roch; and take a 30 min. local train to Padua for Il Santo & Arena Chapel.
Good luck.
May 9th, 2007, 05:15 PM

I think I just lost this, so hope I'm not repeating. I agree with The Judge on Florence, especially the Baptistry, which has absolutely amazing 13th C mosaics covering the entire dome.

However, I don't agree with going to Padua from Venice. With only 3 nights there, including your arrival day, you really don't time for a daytrip.
May 11th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your advice. Dave, I printed out your itineraries. If you guys think of anything else, let me know.
May 16th, 2007, 04:12 AM

Hi again,

did you just print them out or download the actual files. There are 3 zip files, each about 25 meg in size, each holds about 20 mp3 files.

Hope they help

dave
May 16th, 2007, 04:54 PM

This may really throw too much of a kink in your plans, but instead of driving from Rome to the AC where the scenery along the way didn't seem as picturesque to us when we did it a few years - excluding the Amalfi Coast itself, of course, which is jaw dropping-ly beautiful. Do your driving on the secondary roads between Florence and Rome - in particular S222, the Chianti Road; it's simply magical. Maybe lose your first night in Rome and spend it in Orvieto, about an hour north. It may be our favorite town in Italy.