Reload this Page >

afternoon tea in london?

Search

afternoon tea in london?

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2000, 02:00 PM
candy

afternoon tea in london?

hello, everyone. anyone had a great tea experience lately? my favorite from past trips is brown's, so cozy and oldey english and also delicious. savoy was swell, but too formal. i hear the orangery is lovely, tho less intense on the actual food end. thanks.

Old May 23rd, 2000, 09:10 PM
Christine

Hi Candy, <BR> <BR>I'm off to London this weekend. I'll be visiting Claridges for tea on Monday, my sister-in-law who works in London swears it is the best, and probably the Orangery on Tuesday so I'll report back on my findings.

Old May 23rd, 2000, 09:21 PM
Lia

We had a great experience at the Dorchester last fall. I would highly recommend it.

Old May 24th, 2000, 05:02 AM
elaine

I have not been to the much-praised tea at Brown's, but I can give you another vote for the Dorchester.

Old May 24th, 2000, 05:28 AM
Tammy

I had tea at the Orangery over a year ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Old May 24th, 2000, 06:30 AM
Beth

Candy - <BR>I found Harrods and Fortnum and Mason had wonderful afternoon tea. The service at Harrods was better, but I liked the scones and clotted cream at Fortnum and Mason better. Neither had a strict dress code. It was a new experience for me and I had a wonderful time. Oh....I want to go back! <BR>Beth

Old May 24th, 2000, 10:42 AM
candy

thanks, everybody, for responding, but could i ask for more detail? what is it that you liked about the experience? thanks again!

Old May 24th, 2000, 12:21 PM
elaine

The Dorchester offers a traditional, perfect, and expensive afternoon tea in a setting that will make you feel that <BR>you are one of the rich and famous.

Old May 24th, 2000, 12:51 PM
Robin

The Lanesborough has a very pretty room and good food. And I enjoyed the Orangery for a light lunch (can't remember if we did tea!)

Old May 24th, 2000, 01:06 PM
Cyrano

Tea at the Savoy was a great disappointment. Poor service, mediocre food. The numerous tea rooms are better and far less expensive. Fortnam & Masons is excellent. <BR> <BR>The Dorchester, on the other hand, is wonderful. Impeccable service, delicious sandwiches until you tell them to stop, scones, and extravagant desserts. They even offer high tea (as opposed to afternoon tea) until about 8:30 PM.

Old May 24th, 2000, 01:17 PM
cheryl

Here's another vote for the Dorchester. We couldn't have felt more pampered, wonderful food, background music, lovely setting. We stayed for over two hours, and it was a wonderful afternoon. When my sister only chose the cucumber and egg salad sandwiches, they asked if she was a vegetarian, and upon learning that she indeed was, they brought four more types of sandwiches for her to choose from. We went from there to the ballet, and nothing could have been more perfect.

Old May 24th, 2000, 01:45 PM
kk

"When my sister only chose the cucumber and egg salad sandwiches, they asked if she was a vegetarian, and upon learning that she indeed was, they brought four more types of sandwiches for her to choose from." -- WOW. Now that is service! <BR>I've only had tea at two places in London--Fortnum and Mason and the Goring Hotel. F&M was tasty but lacking in abience. The Goring served me the best tea I've ever had in my life. I can't even remember the food because the tea was so perfect....and that's something because I love food!

Old May 24th, 2000, 02:26 PM
Candace

This may be a stupid question but is it worth going to a tea if you don't like tea? Do they have other beverages to choose from? If so,which place would be the best choice for a family of 3 which <BR>includes a seven year old?

Old May 24th, 2000, 05:45 PM
B Sam

Yes, Candance. I had the same question before visiting London. I'm not a tea drinker so I had coffee instead. We had "tea for two" at a place across the street from Harrod's but I can't remember the name of it. The sandwiches, scones, cream, etc. were good, but they had a large selection of excellent desserts to top it all of.

Old May 24th, 2000, 06:32 PM
Linda

The Dorchester sounds great for a special tea...can anyone tell me where it is located? Thanks and love the topic!

Old May 25th, 2000, 04:07 AM
elaine

53 Park Lane, tube Hyde Park Corner phone 207 409 0114

Old May 25th, 2000, 07:44 AM
penny

I like Fortnum & Mason's. It's affordable, and yet good. The wait staff doesn't dress as formally as they did some years ago, but you still feel like you're at a "proper" tea. <BR> <BR>You sit on a mezzanine overlooking an area of the store where you can buy tins of tea and other foodstuffs--a great place to shop for souvenirs afterward. <BR> <BR>I just took my 14-year-old, who seemed always to be hungry on our trip. She had a milkshake while I had tea. <BR> <BR>

Old May 25th, 2000, 08:17 AM
lydia

You tourists need to get out more! Here's a recommendation for a REAL English tearoom, even though many adventurous visitors do manage to find their way there: <BR>Newen's, or 'Maids of Honour' tearoom, <BR>288 Kew Road, Kew Gardens Tel. 020 8940-2752. <BR>This traditional tea-room serves true English food at lunchtime and teatime, with homemade pies, scones, pastries and cakes served in a cosy setting, and everything is also available 'to go'. <BR>Furthermore, the tearoom is across the street from Kew Gardens, with all it has to offer, so this would make a perfect day out of central London. Kew can be reached on the Tube, I think on the Metropolitan Line.

Old May 25th, 2000, 08:40 AM
elaine

thanks for the tip!

Old May 28th, 2000, 06:52 AM
Lu

My 20 year old daughter and I will be in London for one week in July. Do we need to make reservations ahead of time (even now??) for any of the afternoon teas? Or is The Ritz the only one that requires it? I would prefer to go Brown's or Dorchester based on what I've read..and comments here. Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -