Afternoon in Rotterdam

Jun 14th, 2018, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Afternoon in Rotterdam

I am currently in The Hague and am thinking about doing an afternoon in Rotterdam. Does anyone have suggestions about how to get a taste of the city? Would also love a recommendation for a place to have an early dinner before I take the train back to the Hague.
Jun 14th, 2018, 08:41 AM

It's not a big city. Get a map, either ahead of time or at the tourist office, and start walking. Go to the official city website and see what attractions appeal to you. Can't help with dinner as we've always left before dinnertime, but menachem has what looks like a comprehensive list on Julie Vikamis's thread.
Jun 14th, 2018, 08:48 AM

Rotterdam, Antwerp, Delft and/or ?

Yesm has all you need to know- from a local Rotterdammer (?)>

Highlights to me were the Maritime Museum on the river - not much time for museums, ect so just wonder around Rotterdam's modern city centre and admire the avant-garde architecture. Really, a whole day would be nice.
Jun 14th, 2018, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

I would love to take a look at menachems list that was posted for Julie, but searching doesn't bring it up. I would be grateful if St. Cirq or someone could post the link.
Jun 14th, 2018, 09:26 AM

Rotterdam, Antwerp, Delft and/or ? Posted above in my post but not obvious to click on it but if something is underlined it is a link ususally. All you need to know. Menachem is a trusted and true great source.
Jun 14th, 2018, 10:34 AM

Hi Jennifer. I gave a couple of dinner suggestions in that post, but that's for later in the evening. A great spot for early dinner is Bertmans on Karel Doormanstraat (great outdoor seating, view of West8's Schouwburgplein). Coming from South, Bertmans is on your way to Central Station, which is two blocks away from there.

Of course you can head to Blaak and have a look at the Markthal. An alternative is to head to Witte de Withstraat for a stroll, a look at the independent shops there (vintage, art, crystals, skateboards etc) and perhaps see what TENT has on offer (contemporary art). You can take a watertaxi across the Maas from Leuvehaven (that's on the eastern end of Witte de With) and check out stylish Hotel New York and cross to Katendrecht.

I live in Rotterdam, so if you need specific information, just ask.
Jun 14th, 2018, 11:07 AM

am thinking about doing an afternoon in Rotterdam. Does anyone have suggestions about how to get a taste of the city?
That is going to be impossible.
I wonder how early you wish to eat?
But having family there I can suggest that you visit The Marthal

Last edited by ribeirasacra; Jun 14th, 2018 at 11:18 AM.
Jun 14th, 2018, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by ribeirasacra View Post
That is going to be impossible.
I wonder how early you wish to eat?
But having family there I can suggest that you visit The Marthal
Lots of places where you can have an early dinner in Rotterdam.
Markthal is a touristy attraction. I live almost opposite, and back when it was proposed, it was sold to us as a proper market. But now, after 4 years it has become a collection of eateries for tourists. I only visit because of the huge Chinese supermarket and the Albert Heijn in the basement.
Jun 14th, 2018, 03:42 PM

https://www.google.com/search?q=mark...w=1920&bih=947

Perked my interest as never heard of that - maybe wan't around in 2010 when I lat visited R'dam or I did not run across it but looks surrealistic something I would have liked for the spectacle and weirdness. Does it have a FEBO or Coffeeshop (jess kiddin)?
Jun 14th, 2018, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Menachem, than you for the ideas. I think I'll take the train there, wander around the 'cool' district down to the maas and take the water taxi. I looked up their site, and that looks like a great way to look at the skyline.

Bertmans looks like just what I need - a grain bowl and veggies to offset some of the other things I've been eating.

btw, I am finding the trainline app a quick and easy way to buy the just in time short trip tickets. The HTM app in the Hague will let me buy the one day transport pass for when I go to Delft.
Jun 14th, 2018, 08:35 PM

We used the tourist day ticket for €13.50 to travel in and between Rotterdam and Den Haag:
https://touristdayticket.com/
The train is NOT included, but the metro between Den Haag Central and Rotterdam is covered and also the rest of the RET metro network and trams and buses in both cities.
Jun 14th, 2018, 09:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Cowboy, I had forgotten I could use the tourist card as far as Rotterdam
Jun 14th, 2018, 10:04 PM

There are several tourist cards (I think).. it has to be the more expensive one for € 13.50 which covers the whole region.
I find the Metro line E from Den Haag to Rotterdam quite convenient, as you do not have to look for the correct mainline train at Den Haag Central but just walk to the (elevated) Metro terminus and jump on the next train (every 10 minutes). I think the metro takes a few minutes longer between both cities' central stations. But it takes you further into Rotterdam (if you don't want to walk from Rotterdam Central), e.g. to Beurs where you are right in the central shopping district and in 5 minutes walking distance to Markthal or the Kijk Kubus houses.
Even when you plan to have a proper dinner elsewhere, you could do a stroll down Witte de Withstraat - as Menachem suggested -, if just for a coffee or pre-dinner drink.. very lively street with lots of nice cafes, bars and eateries.
Jun 14th, 2018, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by PalenQ View Post
https://www.google.com/search?q=mark...w=1920&bih=947

Perked my interest as never heard of that - maybe wan't around in 2010 when I lat visited R'dam or I did not run across it but looks surrealistic something I would have liked for the spectacle and weirdness. Does it have a FEBO or Coffeeshop (jess kiddin)?

It's got something better than Febo, a Bram Ladage!!!!! Coffeeshop is just down the road at Botersloot.
Jun 14th, 2018, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer_Travels View Post
Thank you Cowboy, I had forgotten I could use the tourist card as far as Rotterdam

Yes, but take Randstadrail, the light rail connection between The Hague and Rotterdam. Cool thing is, you can use the Metro stations in Rotterdam: so you can get as far as the Wilhelminaplein station which gets you south of the river with no fuss. For the HNY Watertaxi, get off at Beurs station.
Jun 14th, 2018, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by menachem View Post
Lots of places where you can have an early dinner in Rotterdam.
Markthal is a touristy attraction. I live almost opposite, and back when it was proposed, it was sold to us as a proper market. But now, after 4 years it has become a collection of eateries for tourists. I only visit because of the huge Chinese supermarket and the Albert Heijn in the basement.
A lot of those tourists must be Dutch.
I also read your recommendations from the other thread. That FF looks as if it is full of hipsters wanting to create a new world order for themselves.
I gave my suggestion as it is easy to pick something that the OP wants to eat I have no idea of what style they are looking for. There is no indication of time of day or price range either. Also they only have an afternoon, so I gave somewhere near to the main railway station. They could always have a sandwich at the kiosk to be even nearer to the next train.

Last edited by ribeirasacra; Jun 15th, 2018 at 12:01 AM.
Jun 15th, 2018, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by ribeirasacra View Post
A lot of those tourists must be Dutch.
I also read your recommendations from the other thread. That FF looks as if it is full of hipsters wanting to create a new world order for themselves.
I gave my suggestion as it is easy to pick something that the OP wants to eat I have no idea of what style they are looking for. There is no indication of time of day or price range either. Also they only have an afternoon, so I gave somewhere near to the main railway station. They could always have a sandwich at the kiosk to be even nearer to the next train.

Mostly Russian, German and Chinese. Markthal is not "near" Central Station either.

I know most of the small food producers in FFF personally: no hippies. More like hardworking lovers of good food.

Bertmans. I'll plug it again.
Jun 16th, 2018, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

I had a fantastic day out in Rotterdam today. I appreciate all the advice given here. Once I'm home with a real keyboard, I'll add more details.
Jun 16th, 2018, 11:28 AM

Great! Weather was fantastic today. I spent it dropping off a package with someone in Delft (yeah yeah, I know) and then to The Hague for the Scheveningen classical music festival "on the beach".

Search this Thread