Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Aftermath Depression (from missing Italy) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/aftermath-depression-from-missing-italy-383661/)

SpecialK Dec 20th, 2003 01:54 PM

Aftermath Depression (from missing Italy)

Greetings!

It's been over two months since my return from Italy and I still get choked-up thinking about it. I miss Her so much and constantly think about the great cities of Rome, Florence, Venice and Assisi night and day, around the clock! Italy really done something to me and I am so hooked and wish I was there now. I can't go again until 2005 and it makes me cringe that my next visit is so far away, and I don't know how I'm going to make it having to wait. I need help. :)
For those of you traveling to Italy soon, I sure envy you--TAKE ME WITH YOU, PLEASE!! Sorry for the outburst, I'll go lay down now.

Scarlett Dec 20th, 2003 02:57 PM

Oh poor SpecialK..I do know the feeling. About Paris but it is the same..
The only cure I have found for this depression is to begin planning the next trip right away. Watch lots of Italian movies and learn to cook as many Italian dishes as you can. Take Italian lessons too! The time will fly by until your next trip :)
Buone Natale!

mitchdesj Dec 20th, 2003 03:03 PM

Eventually, you will not feel so obsessed; I experienced something of the sort after my first trip to Italy, I fell in love with Tuscany.
I kept looking at my pictures over and over; it's still my best trip ever and we return in May 2004.

Matrexx Dec 20th, 2003 03:06 PM

I'm totally with you both! I love Italy and miss it dearly. I loved the freedom, the culture (art & history) past and present, the food, the landscape, ...

It got really bad since I saw Under the Tuscan Sun a few days ago. I want a villa too! :)

Scarlett has it right though - give into your love affair and immerse yourself at home as much as possible. Also start planning. It really does help. Also you can help other's plan their trips too - that way you get to sort of go on more trips than just your own!

SpecialK Dec 20th, 2003 03:41 PM

Thanks guys!

Actually, you are all pretty much on target with what I've been doing. I purchased some Italian lesson CDs from Barns and Noble (boy is the language beautiful) and there are two people on my job planning trips to Italy in the near future and are asking me about places to go and things to see. All one has to do is mention Italy and you've got my undivided attention--I whip out those pictures at the drop of a hat! I didn't expect to love Italy so but what can I say other than She stole my heart. I haven't been to France yet but something tells that I will be traveling to Italy several more times before I go anywhere else. I just can't get Her out of my system.

jmb67 Dec 20th, 2003 04:33 PM

I know exactly how you feel SpecialK. I returned on October 5, and miss Italy very much. It's where my heart is. I'm not quite as depressed as when I first came back, but I long to be there. I fill my time by taking Italian language lessions, and doing anything I can to live like an Italian.

You will return to Italy! If She's in your heart like She is in mine, you will go back.

Buon Natale

SpecialK Dec 20th, 2003 04:47 PM

I tossed coins in the Trevi Fountain which is supposed to guarantee me a trip back, heck I'd of emptied my entire purse in that fountain just to get back there quicker. I'm glad you guys understand and can relate as I was starting to think I was losing my mind.

chardonnay Dec 20th, 2003 05:25 PM

SpecialK, no you are not alone. I am right there in the looney bin with you.

I have been to Italy a few times and have this love affair with it too.
At the mention of my favorite cities I can get teary eyed and when I hear the songs from Italy I get an ache in my heart. It actually hurts not to be there, so don't despair, buy some coffee table sized books and dream about when you will return.

By the way, I have been all over France and enjoy it, but Italy has my heart.

Bailey Dec 21st, 2003 04:59 AM

SpecialK
Do what I do....look at great Photographs....here are two of my favorite...
www.pbase.com/silvano
www.pbase.com/bauer/italy2003
and check out mine...
www.pbase.com/baileyzim

mct921 Dec 21st, 2003 05:29 AM

Special K- I too experienced a profound love affair with Italy in May 2001, and I am returning to Rome for 6 days in January...only 3 weeks to wait! I rented a bunch of movies and got so excited to see my beloved city again. There is something so entoxicating about Italy- and this time I will be with the man I love...even better!

SpecialK Dec 21st, 2003 06:56 AM

Great pics, Bailey!

I found Venice to be the most romantic place in the world and if I ever get married, that is where I want to go on my honeymoon.

I think Italy has a strong ambiance of love and romance in the air. I don't care what city you go to in Italy, it just pulls you into the atmosphere and the next thing you know, you're hooked! Then of course you have the ruins, the fountains, art, olive trees, food,...I better stop, I'm getting the shakes again.

Mustangs81 Dec 21st, 2003 07:41 AM

We go to Italy every two years. We have been trying to change our itinerary to Germany, Austria, Switzerland, all places we love, but we just can't get away from Italy!

Bailey, your photo album is beautiful, as are the sites you recommended. I am decorating my laundry room and to that end took pictures of Italian laundry in the various towns we visited with the plan of having them enlarged, mounted, and framed. I want a poster size photo on the end wall (24 X 36). Well, I am a terrible photographer and out of two dozen pictures, none are worthy of framing!

SpecialK, why don't you go one better and get married in Italy? Two years ago I arranged a lovely wedding for my daughter in Florence. I rented a villa for both families and we honeymooned together with day trips. Of course the newly weds went their own way...

elisabet Dec 21st, 2003 08:35 AM

Oh how I can relate! Italy totally stole my heart. The depression that follows a wonderful trip can be so unexpected. Went to Italy in April 2002--50th birthday gift to self. Have pined away for Italy, lost sleep. Fantasized about going again. Read about Italy, etc.
So, OK, I moved on--or tried to. Had a chance to go to France, mostly Dordogne, in July, 2003, with kids and husband. Loved it! The France trip was very different than the Italy trip,partly because it was more family oriented, partly because the language isn't familiar to me, and the art was not as obviously ubiquitous. I miss France, too. But not like I miss Italy.

Here is my current fear: I am afraid that if I return to Italy with my husband and/or kids, they won't love it as much as I do and the trip will be a disappointment. One of those experiences where the enthusiast says: this is gonna be so great.....I promise you'll love it.... and the rest of the crowd stifles a yawn.
Now is that insane?? Italy deserves more credit than I give Her with that worry!
Also, I try to drive through my own neighborhood--ruralish New England--and imagine I am seeing it for the first time. Cows in the pasture, big maples, my own farm house. And I try to imagine living in idyllic Italy and going to work each day, which I need to do to keep a health plan and income.

It's all pretty surreal sometimes. Now, like Special K, I would like to go lie down. But I think I'll walk the dog outside where it is 24 degrees F. (and that *F* can stand for a lot of different things!) :-)

SpecialK Dec 21st, 2003 10:47 AM

Mustangs81, I would LOVE getting married in Italy! When I was on the isle of Capri a wedding was taking place and it was just stunning. I thought to myself how wonderful it must be to get married in such a great country. My only problem would be deciding on what city to get married in. Meanwhile, I want to turn my house into an Italian theme and call it something like "The Tuscan" or "Umbrian Romance". This topic has been great therapy for me. You guys are awesome here. :)