After using it, my take on Rick Steves ' Paris--the good and the bad

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just returned from Paris, & this is one of the 2 guidebooks I took (the other was the Rough Guide). Here are my thoughts.

For the nitty-gritty info in a very easy to use format, the book is well laid out and can't be beat. He includes a lot of potentially very helpful information that the average person can use as far as tips on transportation, opening dates & times, overviews of the highlights of the city etc. Good or bad (depending on the reader's background), he also assumes that the reader has absolutely no knowledge of the French language or European ways, so he includes phonetic translations of common phrases, talks about how to use a phone, discusses tipping etc.

However, I would never, ever depend on just this book. He also omits too many things of interest and assumes that everyone will have exactly the same interests and tastes. He limits his coverage to the primary tourist sights (and frequently just the highlights of them) and neglects to cover many more minor attractions that would interest many people. For example, I was quite surprised to find out that he neglected to include what we found to be the most intersting part of Pere Lachaise cemetary--the corner devoted to the victims of the Nazis in WWII. He also suggests skipping the lower floors (which we found quite interesting) of the Musee Carnavalet and spending time instead in the floors devoted to after the Revolution.

Finally, his tone can get irritating after a while. Also, Rue Cler didn't really do a thing for us. We've visited a lot of markets and didn't see what he thought was so great about this street other thanthe fact that it does have a charcuterie, fromagerie etc. all in one location.

We didn't use the book for lodging or restaurant recommendations (except for one where we had a good lunch).
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 05:35 PM

RS is noted for covering things he has actually seen and experienced. It's one approach to a travel guide--it works for some users, not for others.

We've never relied on just one guidebook for planning a trip or for use while traveling. Michelin Green guides come closest to being an acceptable solo guidebook for use while traveling, but even some of them have shortcomings.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 06:20 PM

I heard him on some show the other night while making dinner, he was talking about somewhere in France. I was surprised to hear that he cannot pronounce so many French names of towns, like Cannes. I mean, after all these years of going to France, would he not at least be able to pronounce the names of the towns in his books?
I like Rough Guides for a different spin on travel, along with Access.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 07:52 PM

I saw the same show, Scarlett, and again wondered why on earth someone doesn't tell the man the correct pronunciation. Maybe it's an affectation, like Bob Roll's Tour day France?
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 07:58 PM

My theory about Rick Steves' pronunciation is that he just doesn't have the gift. He tries to speak a few words of various languages, but he doesn't seem to have the ear to pronounce with any degree of versimiltude. I've been in first year language classes with people who just couldn't get their tongues around strange syllables, so it doesn't surprise me. I give him credit for trying, though.

I like his books for what they are. He doesn't pretend to give a comprehensive look at any city or any country, and I wouldn't depend on just one guide book anyway.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 08:02 PM

julies, I am in agreement with your observations of using a Rick Steve's book.

I think it is a great tool for someone taking their first trip to a country/city (I know this was not your first trip to France) He gives concise directions for getting from point A to B on his walks with highlights to be noted along the way. For anyone seeking more depth a Rick Steve's travel book is just too general.

For musuems like the Louvre or day trips to Pompeii, using his guides eliminates the sense of being totally overwhelmed by what is in front of your eyes. Definitely a plus in "my book" Deborah