Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   After I collect the MegaMillions Jackpot on Monday....... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/after-i-collect-the-megamillions-jackpot-on-monday-401677/)

carrolldf Feb 20th, 2004 05:28 PM

After I collect the MegaMillions Jackpot on Monday.......

Okay, might as well dream. The Jackpot tonight is 230 Million. So after I collect the jackpot on Monday, I think I'm going to book first class to Paris for 2 April because I'm going to need a few weeks to set up the trust to take care of my bills and everything. And maybe I'll go ahead and book the Presidental Suite at the Plaza Athenee. I'm going to spend the whole month of April there. Maybe I'll spend May in London.......but I really haven't figured out that far ahead yet.

I would ask what you are going to do when you win but since I'm going to win tonight..........Well, you can put down your what if anyway.

AP6380 Feb 20th, 2004 05:34 PM

First, I'd quit my job. Then I'd take care of my parents and make sure they have everything they could ever want. Once they are properly spoiled I would take off on a world tour, and buy a home in Southern Italy. Fo r that matter, I'd buy an island in Greece as well!!!

carrolldf Feb 20th, 2004 05:38 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot the part about quiting my job. I actually would call in next week to take Leave Without Pay (I'm out of vacation time) to "take care of personal business" and the following week, I would fly to San Diego so I could surprise my boss by walking in and saying "I quit" in person.

Part of setting up the trust is to take care of my family in addition to the bills.

StCirq Feb 20th, 2004 05:44 PM

I actually wouldn't quit my job or stay in fancy hotels. I'd just hire someone to run my business for me for a few years while I traveled the world and completely renovated my house in France. I'd pay off the mortgages on both homes and maybe buy a place in some out-of-the-way place in Italy or the Lozère or Cévennes. Might open a B*B or a culinary school in France. So many possibilities.....but I don't think even with all that money I'd notch up to five-star-type travel, except maybe business or first-class seats on overseas flights.

coldwar27 Feb 20th, 2004 07:20 PM

I'd quit my job or take a sabbatical (yeah right), and buy tons of Chex cereal, make some mix and send to London....

Then I would travel all around France, Italy, and Ireland. I would then like to live in South Kensington for a year right near Hyde Park. Then I would like to live in the Loire Valley for a summer and Paris for a bit too. And and oh darn you for starting me thinking. :)

Betsy Feb 20th, 2004 07:25 PM

No No No, Carroll and St. Cirq! Don't book first class seats! Buy your own plane! In face, buy a couple of planes and we'll all go with you :-)

Bonne chance to all entrants!

Betsy Feb 20th, 2004 07:27 PM

...in fact, not "in face." Sheesh!

luvlondon Feb 20th, 2004 07:44 PM

Betsy...I like the way you think! I know I'd want to have a travel party with all of our Fodor friends. How about a cruise around the world?

icithecat Feb 20th, 2004 07:54 PM

I think I would buy a coal mine in Canada and a shipping company to send it all to Newcastle.

I have heard that phrase enough times in my life.

Scarlett Feb 20th, 2004 07:55 PM

You can all visit the Yankee and I in our Tuscan villa this summer, after we return from our long stay in Japan, where we plan to surprise our son with the good news that we won the MegaMillions.
Bring your pets and be at the airport on time, I will send the plane.
((F))

mcgeezer Feb 20th, 2004 08:40 PM

I don't know if I would want to win 230 million bucks. It would be a full time job with plenty of overtime just to deal with that much money. I would like to win something a bit more managable, like 23 million. By he time Uncle Sam takes his cut then I wouldn't bother quitting my job or telling anyone I'd won, except an accountant and an attorney.
I already live in paradise so I wouldn't need to move but I would certainly I work less hours and travel more to just about everywhere. Like StCirc, I wouldn't move up to the very grand travel accomodations but I would fly first class always.
Good luck carrolldf, someone has to win, I hope for your sake it's you.

sixthlap Feb 21st, 2004 06:18 AM

1st. quit my job. Next, take care of my family. Then, create a scholarship fund for those of any age, not just h.s. grads., who want to pursue a degree in any creative field, like design or the culinary arts, but extra pts. for those who want to be product designers. And then I'd travel for a year or more and learn from the culinary masters, like Paul Bocuse and Alain Ducasse. Voila!

Gardyloo Feb 21st, 2004 06:30 AM

As Dr. Phil would say, carrolldf, how's it working for you?

kodi Feb 21st, 2004 06:42 AM

Oh Scarlett, I'm so glad we can bring our pets!! I just know my little one will love Italy....and she will get along so well with the others!
After that she and I will continue to travel the world together. I'll get a plane too and everyone's welcome.
But I'd have to buy some homes too. Maybe in the south of France, and perhaps on a tropical island somewhere.
Oh and another one in New Zealand.
What a great way to spend a dreary Sat morning...dreaming.....

carrolldf Feb 21st, 2004 07:25 AM

:-< Unfortunately, I woke up this morning and found out that I have to slightly revise my plans for next week. Oh well, if I won the $10M next Tuesday...cash option cuts it down to about $5M....minus 35% for taxes.....okay, now it's going to be $3.25M.

Okay, maybe I can't execute my plan in it's entirety but I can afford to take a vacation this year and fly business class and look for hotel in 150-200EUR range instead of 100EUR and I'll only stay for 10 days at a time. And I'll go to London for 10 days in the fall. I'll be able to take leave without pay a couple times a year (in addition to regular vacation) but will probably keep the job.

Sorry guys, I can't afford the plane now but will buy dinner at the Fodor's GTG we'll hold after I win a little jackpot. :) ((d))

carrolldf Feb 21st, 2004 07:25 AM

Oh yeah, what I meant was WHEN I will the $10M on Tuesday.......

Betsy Feb 21st, 2004 07:35 AM

Just heard on the radio that someone from VA won the entire jackpot. Is that anyone who's been posting? Tell all!