Reload this Page >

Afraid of the Phoenix

Search

Afraid of the Phoenix

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2003, 06:22 AM
bandwoman56

Afraid of the Phoenix

Has anyone ever stayed at the Phoenix Hotel in Paddington? Since reading chats about Paddington being isolated and a little iffy, I now am afraid of my hotel choice. Would deeply appreciate your collective wisdom.

Old Sep 18th, 2003, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bandwoman- While I've never stayed at the Phoenix, I am researching hotels for my Jan. trip. I looked at travelocity.com, and they had 3 reviews. One was ok, 2 very bad. Here is one of them:

There isn't anything positive I can say about this place. If you are claustrophobic you better find somewhere else to stay. The rooms are no bigger than a broom closet. The bathroom was so small you could only turn around in a circle. My bed was as hard as a rock. I requested a double but was given a single. When I complained to the staff they were beyond indifferent. The supervisor just rolled her eyes and smirked "there is nothing else available for you". I could forgive hotels for just about anything if they correct their mistakes. But to be rude to a guest is unforgivable.

If its not too late to get out of your reservation, I would consider doing so. I didn't look into the area, but the reviews alone are enough to scare me. The most positive reviews were, "not great, but I didn't expect much." Ouch. Good luck, and let us know what you decide!
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 08:43 AM

Erin: Is there a particular reason for staying at Paddington? I stayed in Bloomsbury and then taxied to Paddington to check in for my flight. It was a 15 minute ride and cost about $10.00. Was worth it.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 08:48 AM

Paddington is not a terrible area - and it is improving. But there is a lot of redevelopment and construction. Plus some streets are pretty iffy. Add this to the fact that it is far from the major tourist sites and requires a lot of Circle line travel - Paddington is probably not the best area. You can find hotels just as cheap in S, Kensington, Victoria, Russell Square and several other neighborhoods that are better than Paddington.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 09:30 AM

Sharon- I think Bandwoman is just trying to get specific info about a hotel that is located in Paddington. Bloomsbury may be a better choice for her. Your plan sounds like a great alternative.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 04:59 AM

It has been several years since I visited the Phoenix, but at the time it was a clean, tourist-class hotel in the Paddington/Bayswater area. The building is older, like many similar hotels in this area. Small rooms, no airconditioning, small ensuite baths, breakfast served in lower level dining area.

More current reports on Tripadvisor.com seem to indicate that the Phoenix is still basically the same as I've described. The two reviews there, both dated 2003, were favorable.

The area around the hotel is mixed commercial/residential with a fair number of small shops, restaurants, etc. It is not the most upscale neighborhood, and certainly not the most central for seeing the major tourist sights in London. Paddington/Bayswater is more central than Earls Court--another area with concentration of tourist level hotels--but less central than other spots where you'll find similar cost/quality hotels (like Bloomsbury, the area around Victoria station, etc.)

Hope this helps you.

David White
[email protected]