Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Madly in love with the Amalfi Coast but should probably see something else! Where to go?

Search

Madly in love with the Amalfi Coast but should probably see something else! Where to go?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since my first visit to the Amalfi Coast 2 years ago I have become obsessed. We returned this summer and it is even more enchanting the second time. Here's my dilemma - if I am fortunate enough to be able to go to Europe again next year, it would probably be a good idea to go somewhere else because I'm not sure my husband would want to KEEP going to the same place and my family and friends would give me grief if I keep going back to the same place. SO, where to go that has that same magical feel, awe-inspiring scenery, great food, lovely June weather, etc? Greece? We have only been to England, Scotland, Wales, Paris, Normandy and Brittany, and Florence, Venice, Tuscany, and Rome. So, any ideas for next year? Thanks!
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 06:20 AM

Greece or Sicily.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 06:44 AM
Neopolitan

The Croatian coast is another good option -- possibly basing in Dubrovnik if you like to do a lot, or on one of the islands if you don't.

Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 06:46 AM
ira

Hi rb,

You might want to consider the Gorges du Tarn and Dordogne regions of France.

See my trip report:
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34676645

Photos at http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&y=-pla2au

Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 06:51 AM

What about the French or Italian Rivieras? You could include Provence or the Dordogne with time on the French coast.

I personally like the Italian Riviera a little better than the Amalfi coast because it's greener.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 09:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I also like the Italian Riviera more than the A.C. And I like all of the Italian lakes but don't always find the "great food" there that you've got on your list.

For "awe inspiring scenery and lovely June weather," I suggest the Italian Sudtirol/Trentino-Alto Adige region. especially around St. Magdalena. Good food but not the usual Italian fare people think of.

And if you're open to any idea in Europe, how about Norwegian fjords? I'm not crazy about Norwegian cuisine, but the scenery is spectacular.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 10:15 AM

By the way, if you are traveling with your husband and he would prefer elsewhere, I think it's good to plan an experience satisfying for both of you. But as for "my family and friends would give me grief if I keep going back to the same place" -- tell them to mind their own business and take their own trips! Or else pay for yours to places other than Italy if THEY need that to make THEM happy.

Suit yourself.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 12:01 PM

Oh, just keep going where you want to go, life is short. Go back to the Amalfi Coast.
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 05:10 AM
bellastarr

d'accordo, sea.

Old Jul 24th, 2006, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. My husband loves the AMalfi Coast and will go if I want to. I just think there are things I am missing, I guess. As per the suggestions of the Italian Riviera, can you give me the name of some towns? Is Portofino part of this? Genoa? Or am I way off? Thanks!
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 04:07 AM

I agree with others - if you love it, why not ? I've so far been 5 times & will go again. Have you stayed in different towns ? I've stayed in Amalfi (x2), Positano (x3) & Ravello; plus, nearby, Capri (x2), Ischia & Naples. This year we had a week each in Naples, Ischia & near Positano & the contrast was nice - also I think > 1 centre makes the holiday seem longer.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 10:09 AM

Cinqua Terre is part of the Italian Riviera, and probably just as gorgeous as the Amalfi coast.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 10:29 AM

Think of all the people who go to the same places every year and think nothing of it. Some of us on this very thread go to the AC year in and year out and we are not complaining!

I agree, go to different cities and do different activities.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Pausanias

We went every year for a while, and thought that would continue forever, but it's getting on fifteen years now since our last visit. I expect we'll return for nostalgia's sake one day.

I would advise you to feed your obsession. You'll know when you've had enough.

Old Jul 25th, 2006, 07:34 AM

The southern part of the Italian Riviera starts at Genoa. Moving south, Camogli, Santa Margherita Ligure (a good base)and Portofino, and the Cinque Terre are popular stops. All these towns are connected by trains with some boat connections also.

The Italian Riviera actually consists ot 2 parts, the Riviera dei Ponente to the north and the Riviera de Levante
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 08:09 AM

Agree that if the Amalfi Coast is your thing, go again.

If you want to spread your wings a bit, how about Greece or Spain. We particularly liked the south of Spain, Sevilla and thereabouts. Also thought Rhodes was great. Guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say, but we've found it almost everywhere we traveled.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 09:10 AM

rbnwdln,

You wrote: "I just think there are things I am missing, I guess."

There are many things you are missing in Italy. Only you can decide whether they are places you really want to see. If you love the Amalfi, the Italian Riviera may strike you as a poor cousin. Personally, I prefer it to the Amalfi, but that is because it has less tourist infrastructure. If you enjoy the super-luxury and other-wordly enchantment of the Amalfi, just about the only place to offer it on the Riviera is Portofino, and to a lesser extent Rappallo. And you have to do some real climbing to find the kind of breathtaking views you get in Amalfi just driving on the main road.

I would suggest that you go the library or bookstore to browse through picture books of Italy. If you still don't come up with anything that appeals to you more than the Amalfi, return there BUT make it a point to take day trips further south than Ravello. Explore the areas around Salerno. Go to the island of Procida instead of Capri. At the end of the trip, book yourself for two nights in Roma to see how you like it.

You get the picture.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 10:03 AM

If you opt to go elsewhere (only do that it you want to, not because someone else other than your husband would be critical) I think the Italian Riviera would be a good choice.

In particular as someone else has posted, Santa Margherita Ligure would be my choice. We stayed there for a week without a car a year ago. We took trains and ferry boats to places like Camogli, Genoa, Cinque Terre and walked to Portofino. Stayed in an apt that was a five minute walk from the center of town.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

Great advice from all. I just booked the hotel in Positano but will spend some time this year planning the other half of our trip (if there is a trip - gotta save my pennies). Thank you for the excellent suggestions!