Affordable London lodgings w/kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am traveling with my three children to London in June for a few days prior to our trip to Normandy. I've just begun my research (never been to London before) and would appreciate some suggestons for lodgings that are afforadable and well located. We will probably take the Chunnel to France. Where should I begin looking? Thanks!
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 06:29 PM

Have you looked at apartment hotels ?<BR>you can start with these web site<BR>www.goin2travel.com<BR>www.london4rent.com
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 06:34 PM

I'll be staying in London for a few nights in July with two teenagers, a boy and a girl and we have a quad room at the Euston Plaza Hotel for &pound;179. That's one double bed and two twins. So many hotels just have two double beds, which I didn't want. I booked through LondonNights.com. They don't require you to pre-pay your entire stay nor do they have a heavy penalty for cancelling. <BR><BR>If you come up with any other good hotel suggestions, I'd appreciate knowing. I also considered the London Guards Hotel. Maria
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 06:56 PM

Travelling to Normandy via the Chunnel is possible depending on which part of Normandy. Other possibilities include taking a train to Poole then a ferry, flying on Ryanair(?) to Dinard or other airlines to Jersey. Some of these may be faster than via the Chunnel.<BR><BR>Some B&amp;B outside of central London are much cheaper. However, some prefer to pay a lot and stay in a big hotel. Miss Insight doesn't say what she perfers. During my last visit, I stayed at a B&amp;B in Islington which was only a 10-12 minute bus ride to the City of London and 15 min. to Kings Cross.<BR><BR>Somebody posted elsewhere that they stayed at one of the many small hotels near the Gloucester Road tube station, like the Hotel Europa, Hotel Ascone, Hotel Montana, etc.
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 04:35 PM

Hi,<BR><BR>Chunnel trains leave from Waterloo International rail terminal, on the Southbank. One popular budget hotel that is quite close to that station, but also very well located for sightseeing in central London, is the Travel Inn County Hall. <BR><BR>You'll find lots of references to the hotel on this message board...The Travel Inn is basic (think &quot;Motel 6&quot; type rooms), it has some family rooms (with age limitations), and rooms are about &pound;80 per night. For info:<BR><BR> http://www.travelinn.co.uk<BR><BR>Hope this helps you.<BR><BR>David White<BR>http://www.KidsToLondon.com<BR>
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 04:48 PM

Much depends on what are your expectations in lodging. You can do a web search for &quot;discount london hotels&quot; to come up with a variety of listing services (beware that their ratings and descriptions may be a bit unrealistic, but they tend to be consistent within a site). If you don't mind stairs (the smaller converted townhouse places rarely have elevators), there are lots of options. Pick your place for convenience to the tube stops, the underground is the most effective transportation. Also do a search on this site, there should be lots in the old strings.