Affordable London Hotels - again!

Aug 30th, 2002, 05:53 PM
Joe

Affordable London Hotels - again!

Hello Fodorites,
Here's the millionth + 1 request for hotel comparison. My wife and I will be staying 3 nights in London for the first time the last week of September. We'll be mostly out and about so while I love luxury, I'll save it for later. I'm looking to pay no more than $150/night. Furthermore, FWIW we'll be coming in from Gatwick. I've banged around and come up with some candidates in no particular order. Please advise:

Copthorne Tara Hotel
K+K Hotel George
Westminster Hotel
Best Western Burns Hotel
London Guards Hotel
Derby Hotel

Are there others I'm missing?

Thank you *very* much

Joe

Aug 30th, 2002, 06:12 PM
Lesli

Joe -

Have you done a text search re these places yet? Plenty of positive feedback on this board re

Aug 30th, 2002, 06:17 PM
Lesli

Sorry, it "sent" before I was ready!

As I was saying, there is lots of good feedback here re Copthorn Tara and London Guards. I've seen less about the others, but check and see what you come up with.

Aug 30th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Lisa

Joe: Where I am unable to provide you with direct feedback about your hotel choices, I would like to review comments from others.
My husband and I will be going to London for the first time in October. We were looking for hotels in the $150 range as well. I found that www.londontown.com offers significant discounts for hotels in 3, 4 or 5 star range (in case you weren't already aware of this website). We are considering the Radisson Edwardian Savoy Court Hotel off of Oxford Street because of the price and it close to some shopping (I have posted a thread only a short time ago about this hotel). If you may have heard of this hotel, any feedback about it would be appreciated.
I look forward to reviewing other comments to this thread.
Good Luck with your decision.

Aug 30th, 2002, 06:39 PM
ajs

We stayed at the Chelsea Green for five nights over two weekends. This place should be sold out every night, for the value alone. It is in a quiet neighborhood of Chelsea (really So Ken), less than five minutes walk from the So Ken tube. There are outstanding restaurants everywhere within a 10-15 minute walk. It is a 4****, with A/C and lift. We had a suite reserved for 150 GBP per night(which would have been a good deal), but then found the same room on laterooms.com for 110, a week before we left. They honored the rate! It is practically new inside, a beautiful conservatory for breakfast, free paper in the morning, and the suite was very nice sized for two. We arrived on my wife's birthday, and at my request, they had balloons strung up and flowers on the bed. Value like this in London is nearly impossible to find. Can't recommend it enough.

Aug 30th, 2002, 07:10 PM
Joe

Of course I have Leslie. Have you stayed at any of those hotels or are you taking time to reprimand me?

Didn't see much of anything about the Derby. And a few on the others have a few posts. Hotels change names, have renovation and are often referred to by short names (e.g. "the Burns") only common to people who have been there. So I as my question again.

Thanks,

Joe

Aug 31st, 2002, 08:21 AM
Lesli

Joe -

My apologies if it sounded like a reprimand; honestly not my intent. You say "of course" you did a text search, but there seem to be lots here who are unaware that this function exists. (And those who haven't used it before they post.)

I considered several of your hotels for my London trip a year and a half ago, but decided that I wanted to be within walking distance of Soho and the theater district, so elected to stay in Bloomsbury rather than S. Kensington. Thus I can recommend the Morgan Hotel, just around the corner from the British Museum. Definitely not luxxy (more like a b & b), but reasonable for the location, spotlessly clean, with friendly staff and good breakfast included in the rate.

Raddison Edwardian is worth looking into, if you've not done so already. They often have deals that put them at the upper end of your range, they're all well-located, and the decor is "British."

Have a great trip, wherever you end up.

Aug 31st, 2002, 06:47 PM
tania

My daughter and I stayed at the Jolly St Ermin's in Westminster in London, liste as 4*. Walking distance to the Abbey and Buckingham Palace. Three minute walk to the tube...St.James. Quiet, absolutely no noise...

We booked through a Canadian company, Holiday Network. Price worked out to 77 pounds, full breakfast included. To our pleasant surprise we were upgraded to an executive room upon arrival.

Aug 31st, 2002, 07:03 PM
Mel

Joe, I've stayed at both the K&K and the Burns. I much prefer the Burns. It's less expensive and the rooms are nicer (so is the staff). Also, K&K is a few blocks away from the tube stop (Earl's Court), but the Burns is right around the corner. Excellent breakfast included.

The Capthorne is a large modern hotel. Many people have given it great reviews, but keep in mind it caters to tour groups, so you could have large lines at the front desk, elevators and breakfast buffets (that's why I stopped staying at the Forum--now a Holiday Inn). A few people on here will say that Earl's Court is "seedy," but I contend that it's gone through gentrification in the last 6 years and is quite safe. It's also an easy walk to South Ken and Knightsbridge areas from there.

Hope you love London!

Sep 1st, 2002, 12:33 AM
Becky

Just got back from London after staying at Harrington Hall--a great surprise. Very big room, comfortable, lovely decor, nice bathroom, lots of nice touches, great location one block from So Kensigton Tube (which is on three different Tube lines.) It was US Dollars$110/night (before tax) via the Hoteldiscounts.com site. No breakfst included, but plenty of places nearby to eat, and a 24 hour market down the block. Highly recommended. It is pribately owned and feels lilke it. Very good service from all staff. Darn, i am starting to miss London too much now. Bon voyage, you lucky folks.

Sep 2nd, 2002, 09:42 AM
Kris

The Copthorne Tara apparently comes up quite often on Priceline. If you are willing to take the gamble (if they accept your bid, you are locked into whatever hotel you get), you could probably get it for less than the $75 I bid on it for July. Take a look at www.biddingfortravel.com if you want more info on how Priceline works

Yes it is a large tourist hotel but it didn't seem that busy to me and since we prepaid we dropped our key in a box and didn't have to bother with checking out. It was well located within walking distance of the High St. Kensington tube and a large Safeway grocery where we grabbed breakfast every morning. Clean, spacious, with a refrigerator, a/c and a hair dryer. Breakfast was not included in our rate.

Sep 2nd, 2002, 11:44 AM
ebp

if you want to stay at s kensington or knightsbridge area, will agree that harrington hall is worth it. have stayed there before and loved it. this august, stayed at country inn and suites and was very impressed and very pleased. very clean, convenient, comfortable; courteous, pleasant attentive staff; basic amenities including internet and air conditioned. close to tubes, all night supermart, etc etc. paid 102 usd for a double room, all inclusive of tax and breakfast.

Sep 29th, 2002, 05:05 PM
garry

noboby ever mentioned holiday inn - bloomsbury, anybody been there? feedback pls?