affordable b & b's in England?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has been almost 10 years since we stayed in B&B's in England and I am shocked at the prices I am seeing on the internet! They all run about $100.00 U.S. dollars per night. I realize the weak dollar is one of the reasons for this. The question is this:Are there cheaper B&B's available when we get there? We are not staying in any major cities.This is a general question for people who have stayed the last year and we would like to know the price ranges for standard rooms-no castles or manors-in family run B&B's. We will be in the
Cotswolds and North Shropshire area in June
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 11:38 AM

I think 45£ is a common price among small town B and B;s for two people.

Right now 47£ is a little less than $88 US. The B and B where we were last summer on the border of England and Wales, cost a little more than that. We had a nice place, but it was on a working farm well away from any city.

I think this is something of a rude hello to the bottom feeding dollar, but that the way it is this year. I don't forsee the dollar trending upwards anytime soon, not with European Central Banks discussing what to do to shore up the declining dollar. As long as our balance of payments stays huge and negative, the dollar is only going to go one way: lower.

All I can say is either accept it as a condition of travel or stay on this side of the Atlantic. There will be no miraculous turnaround when the financial
Lone Ranger rides to the rescue.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 01:01 PM

Most B&Bs I stay in are in the £22 to £35 per person range for single occupancy and about £35 to £45 for doubles/twins. These are all nice to VERY nice. I have splurged a few times but never have paid more than £40 single or £55 double.

Sure, you can pay more, and a lot of folks brag about their "finds" of nice B&Bs for "only" £60 or £75 per night. You really have to go some to spend that much . . . . .

Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 02:15 PM

We were in northern England/southern Scotland in August 2004. It didn't seem to matter if we were in a big town or little one, or if we booked in advance or went through the tourist authorities to arrange a room - we found the average rate for us to be about 60 pounds per night for a double with en suite in a 3-star B&B.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:43 PM

mr milione miglia

I usually pick B&B's that run about 50 GBP per night for two people. This always includes en suite bath and I especially look for B&B's that have chairs in the room vs. the common sitting area designated for all staying at the B&B. We find after a long day it is nice to be able to sit comforably in your own room.

We like this site for finding B&B's www.smoothhound.co.uk - It is very easy to use.

Good luck and do report back on your decision.

Sandy
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 07:02 AM

Hi
Most towns in England have their own tourist board offices - they can be found with a google search. These tourist board offices usually have a list of local B&B's from town houses to rooms on farms. These lists are an invaluable source of info - try and see if they will e mail or post these to you in advance of your trip, and then you can investigate in more detail any you like the sound of. They will be graded as well so it's not a case of just taking pot luck. If you get stuck with your googling let me know what towns/large villages you wish to stay close to and I will see what I can dig out for you.
M
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 12:04 PM

The range of the B&Bs I stayed in last May were 22-30 GBP but most were in the 22-25 range. It's not surprising that prices would increase a lot, especially in the last 10 years. Ireland has seen a substantial increase in the last 3 years.

Bill
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 12:26 PM

I stayed in a B&B in suburban London recently for 22.50 pounds a night including humungous breakfast. It was clean and in a safe area and right by a train station so that i was in Charing X station within 30 minutes of my leaving my room. (Win Taylor's B&B i found online through the Greenwich Town Hall's B&B listings.) You can pay a whole lot more for a whole lot less in central London.